malik rosier will be starting next year all year long

Are you under the impression that the 2016 offense was not 99th in the country in 3rd down conversion rate?
I'm not sure what your point is here after reading your previous posts. Without using stats, I'm going by what I witnessed all year regarding 3rd down conversions. Here on CIS people have blamed Rosier, the play calling, injuries, and even officiating bias...etc.
We had a good 2017, but this is the U and we all expect more. We beat who we were supposed to beat and with the exception of ND, FSU and VT everybody else we beat had a losing record... including GT who we miraculously beat.
Even though the defense had bad games especially the last ones... I still believe that the offense needs more work to get our program back and be able to beat elite programs. And I think we can start by getting a more effective QB.
Don't get me wrong we need to better the defense and cultivate recruits.
Hey It's 2:30am... goodnight

Advertisement
The fact he's starting kinda means we have nobody else.
I would say we HAD no one else. Sheriffs wasn't the answer. Our two freshman (Perry and Weldon) weren't ready. Both are in year 2 and Jerrod Williams is an early enrollee. So there are 3 potential starters over Rosier. Realistically, I would say there are 2 (Perry and Weldon).

It's not fair to pass judgment on guys who haven't played yet. We don't know how much they have improved and matured.

How much will Rosier improve. We will find out all we need to know during the Spring and Fall camps.

Even if Rosier looks great in practice, I don't trust that it will transfer it to the games. He has to prove he can play at a high level on a consistent basis. That means > 62% completions rate and < 25% int/td. Last year he had 54% completions rate and 54% interception to touchdown rate (26 TDs, 14 INTs). He needed to be at 62% completion, 26 TDs and 7 INTs.

We'll see if he improves.

Personally, I'm pulling for Perry because he has the biggest ceiling and the most talent of any qb or other player on the roster. If he reaches his potential, we can challenge Clemson for the ACC title and a playoff birth.

Exactly, the only difference is the QB. In years past, it was the defense that lost the games. Now that Rosier had game-winning drives it's not the defense's fault at all. Now it's Rosier's fault that we didn't win by enough points. Fuggin retards.

If you watched every game last year and are satisfied with Rosier as the starting QB all year, and have no hope that one of our other QBs steps up and earns the job from him, you are the one with mental deficiencies.

Don't think anyone hates Rosier. I certainly don't, I just want all of our positions to perform at their best. I'm sure everyone knows and appreciates that we won 10 games and had several come from behind victories. BUT I acknowledging that we have to face the reality that we had to come back against FSU, GT, ( both weak teams) and played a one win UNC close because the offense was so lethargic. 26 TD's with 14 INTs is far from championship QB play.

Anyone who watched or replayed any of games last year came to the same conclusion that with better QB play those games would't have even been close and that the Pitt loss and Wisconsin games outcomes would have been different. I'm with Texxcane in believing the Rosier is a very good practice player, which will make him difficult to beat out. He did just enough to earn the starting job but seemed to stop growing there. In several games his lackadaisical, just enough to get by, play caused him to justifiably get yanked temporarily. Sadly NONE of our subs were ready to take the reins.

Our passing offense is pretty basic and our opponents know it. The plan versus Rosier is to take away the run, blanket the primary receiver and take away his running lanes. He definitely has the arm strength to force some of those completions despite coverage and continually seems to rely on that ability. But its a high risk game. Teams with better defensive athletes love playing against competition who are so limited and predictable.

Hopefully this year one of our subs is ready. That would be best case because 2019-20 can be a very good years especially with an experienced QB. BUT its up to someone to TAKE the job.

Advertisement
Don't think anyone hates Rosier. I certainly don't, I just want all of our positions to perform at their best. I'm sure everyone knows and appreciates that we won 10 games and had several come from behind victories. BUT I acknowledging that we have to face the reality that we had to come back against FSU, GT, ( both weak teams) and played a one win UNC close because the offense was so lethargic. 26 TD's with 14 INTs is far from championship QB play.

Anyone who watched or replayed any of games last year came to the same conclusion that with better QB play those games would't have even been close and that the Pitt loss and Wisconsin games outcomes would have been different. I'm with Texxcane in believing the Rosier is a very good practice player, which will make him difficult to beat out. He did just enough to earn the starting job but seemed to stop growing there. In several games his lackadaisical, just enough to get by, play caused him to justifiably get yanked temporarily. Sadly NONE of our subs were ready to take the reins.

Our passing offense is pretty basic and our opponents know it. The plan versus Rosier is to take away the run, blanket the primary receiver and take away his running lanes. He definitely has the arm strength to force some of those completions despite coverage and continually seems to rely on that ability. But its a high risk game. Teams with better defensive athletes love playing against competition who are so limited and predictable.

Hopefully this year one of our subs is ready. That would be best case because 2019-20 can be a very good years especially with an experienced QB. BUT its up to someone to TAKE the job.

i agree with you. Rosier did not progressed during the season especially in two areas: accuracy and ability to go through plays progression. I do disagree on having a strong arm. many times he under threw our receivers especially Thomas preventing big plays from happening i mean touchdowns. Rosier served his purpose for the season but his limitations came through by the end of the year. Hopefully one of these kids perry williams or weldon can step up and take us to the next level. ACC championship at least that!

Last edited:
You guys don't think Richt is foaming at the mouth to hand the reigns to Perry/Weldon/JWill? He sat Rosier and put in booty *** Evan during the Pitt game, when our undefeated season was on the line. If you don't think Richt is doing everything in his power to make sure someone supplants Rosier by LSU, then you might need to check out that eye prescription.

Last edited:

I agree totally. It's not a personal thing with Rosier... that's silly. But I saw enough botched 3rd down conversions to know he ain't going to take us to the place we want to be. Like you mentioned, predictability is a killer. Rosier locks in on receivers, he has a slow release and a deliberate throwing motion... this is why he had more so many blocked passes. Great QB's (Marino for one) were less predictable... now if Marino would have been mobile he would have had possibly a Superbowl or two.
Also a problem last year was play calling, and this has to fall on CMR's lap if he's calling and there's no audible. Hence the need for an OC unless CMR can start multitasking better.

Advertisement
If Richt and Jr were able to make Rosier the shortstop into a semi-functioning QB then they can make actual QB's Weldon or Perry into starters by year 2.

No way Rosier comes close to being the starter

I agree totally. It's not a personal thing with Rosier... that's silly. But I saw enough botched 3rd down conversions to know he ain't going to take us to the place we want to be. Like you mentioned, predictability is a killer. Rosier locks in on receivers, he has a slow release and a deliberate throwing motion... this is why he had more so many blocked passes. Great QB's (Marino for one) were less predictable... now if Marino would have been mobile he would have had possibly a Superbowl or two.
Also a problem last year was play calling, and this has to fall on CMR's lap if he's calling and there's no audible. Hence the need for an OC unless CMR can start multitasking better.
yes, but keep in mind, and i mentioned in a post, MR was handcuffed a bit because of Rosier, i think it really limited what he could call, this is just my opinion. I believe when he gets a guy back there that can keep a D honest his play calling will open up, by the end of the season defenses had zero respect for our pass game and concentrated on the run. Even then we were down our best back, TE, and receiver, so that in consideration we didnt bring much to the table offensively. I think this year, hopefully with an accurate Perry, badass stable of backs, homerun hitters on the outside, we will see an entirely different offense, with all that talent if we dont light up the scoreboard we need to be lookin at Richt.

yes, but keep in mind, and i mentioned in a post, MR was handcuffed a bit because of Rosier, i think it really limited what he could call, this is just my opinion. I believe when he gets a guy back there that can keep a D honest his play calling will open up, by the end of the season defenses had zero respect for our pass game and concentrated on the run. Even then we were down our best back, TE, and receiver, so that in consideration we didnt bring much to the table offensively. I think this year, hopefully with an accurate Perry, badass stable of backs, homerun hitters on the outside, we will see an entirely different offense, with all that talent if we dont light up the scoreboard we need to be lookin at Richt.
Ok I can buy that angle. But key is that he gets that guy taking snaps that puts fear in the defense, and can get an effective running game going and can put together scoring drives against elite teams. We then can rejoice.

Ah yes another vocal Kaaya supporter is now a vocal Rosier hater. This is pretty hilarious to witness. I wonder why you guys supported Kaaya when the team sucked and don’t support Rosier now that we are winning. So far the biggest argument is that we should’ve won by more. Lol ok.
Had Kaaya completed less than 50% of his passes against a majority of our opponents I would have been pretty ****ed at him too. The team won in spite of Rosier not because of him.

Advertisement
If you watched every game last year and are satisfied with Rosier as the starting QB all year, and have no hope that one of our other QBs steps up and earns the job from him, you are the one with mental deficiencies.

Well I didn't say any of that, but congrats on the sweet straw man argument it got you a few upvotes.

Had Kaaya completed less than 50% of his passes against a majority of our opponents I would have been pretty ****ed at him too. The team won in spite of Rosier not because of him.

Who were the different players that won in 2017 that weren't there in 2016?

I'm not sure what your point is here after reading your previous posts. Without using stats, I'm going by what I witnessed all year regarding 3rd down conversions. Here on CIS people have blamed Rosier, the play calling, injuries, and even officiating bias...etc.
We had a good 2017, but this is the U and we all expect more. We beat who we were supposed to beat and with the exception of ND, FSU and VT everybody else we beat had a losing record... including GT who we miraculously beat.
Even though the defense had bad games especially the last ones... I still believe that the offense needs more work to get our program back and be able to beat elite programs. And I think we can start by getting a more effective QB.
Don't get me wrong we need to better the defense and cultivate recruits.
Hey It's 2:30am... goodnight

The point was that the 2016 offense was not light years ahead of the 2017 offense. That was almost the exact same defense except the 2016 defense was arguably better. So if the 2016 defense was the same or even better than the 2017 defense, how come they didn't win more games?

Advertisement
Who were the different players that won in 2017 that weren't there in 2016?

Defense forced 2.5 turnovers per game in 2017. Only 1.5 turnovers per game in 2016. But none of that matters to you anyway. You're just playing the result so actual individual performance doesn't matter. You're free to have the opinion that Malik Rosier is a great quarterback because the team won ten games. I'm free to think otherwise.

He played well enough to win, and that shouldn't be discounted. When we needed it, when the D had given up late points to fsu, the guy came through. When the D was making opposing QBs look like Heisman candidates, he did enough to win. It was rarely pretty, but give the man his due.

He didn’t play wel enough to win against pitt he left a few TDs on the field that day, and was too inconsistent against wiscy, in all of our close games he struggled finding the open guy

I have nothing against rosier, kid got moxy but he has flaws, he cost us the pitt game and screwed a few big drives in the wiscy game, dont blame him for clemson the team as a whole got their sh¡t pushed in, hes a first read guy and teams caught on and made him beat them and he couldn’t, it is what it is

Defense forced 2.5 turnovers per game in 2017. Only 1.5 turnovers per game in 2016. But none of that matters to you anyway. You're just playing the result so actual individual performance doesn't matter. You're free to have the opinion that Malik Rosier is a great quarterback because the team won ten games. I'm free to think otherwise.

can you imagine if the defense didnt get like 1000 turnovers last year ? different story i bet. they kept us in the game, we wont have that kind of luck this year, gonna need a real QB, **** i dont care who it is

Advertisement
Back