Malik Rosier through 5 games

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
101/171 (59%), 1371 yards, 12 TDs, 3 INTs - QBR 146.1

For context -

Brad Kaaya as a Jr. through 5 games: 82/127 (64.5%) 1149 yards, 10 TDs, 4 INTs

Stephen Morris as a Jr. through 5 games: 128/207 (62%) 1635 yards, 9 TDs, 4 INTs

Jacory Harris as a Jr. through 5 games: 94/166 (57%) 1140 yards, 10 TDs, 10 INTs

Yes, I know, different coaching staffs, different opponents and scenarios of course. However, you can't tell me that Malik Rosier doesn't belong as a Miami Hurricanes QB. Also, at this stage in their respective careers, Rosier as more wins over FSU than these three QBs combined. I mean, maybe you can make the argument that NONE of these guys belonged at Miami, but man, what Malik has done so far is nothing short of amazing. Are there plenty of things for him to work on? Absolutely. Has he gotten away with a few passes this season? Probably, but he's also thrown some absolute dimes and his fearlessness and forgetfulness is what has kept us competitive thusfar. Is he limited as a QB as far as the playbook is concerned? You bet. But history has proven that you can win with a "limited" QB. Bama nearly won a title last year with a QB who, IMO, is far more limited as a pure passer than Malik is.

Point is, this is a kid who's easy to root for, a gamer, and will go down swinging hard every time. Will the other shoe drop at some point this season? Is that 4 INT game lurking on the horizon? Maybe, but I firmly believe that the primary reason we're in the top-10 RIGHT NOW is because of Malik freakin' Rosier. How 'bout that?

Enjoy the ride, fellas.

Advertisement
He could have a 4 int game and still lead the game winning drive at the end. Dude does not feel pressure. I really think he'll get a lot better as the season progresses too.

Malik is not the best BUT this guy just plays and never let the pressure of the game get to him and he just WINS!! I watched him this season do some great things with the ball, I seen him make some nice reads and keep the ball and use his legs BUT he has had moments where I said "****".. The thing about him is, he just keeps coming and never quits!! Against Cuse, I would like to see him get off to a early start and get the passing game going early and score some early scores, this has been the biggest concern for me thus far "Our OFFENSE not scoring early in games"..

The kid has never lost a game here as a starter and that's the best stat of all!!!

Advertisement
couple those balls in the endzone against GT, while tough catches, should have been caught.

that ball to mullins hit him in the hands and the defender didnt deflect it at all. again, yes it was tough. but, ive seen mullins make tougher catches than that before.

and i expect a more experienced harley to adjust a split second faster in the future and make that catch next time if its similar to the jumpball malik first threw to him. the second one, which was throw back shoulder, i thought was pretty **** close to on the $ too, but thats an even tougher adjustment and harley only got one hand on it.

101/171 (59%), 1371 yards, 12 TDs, 3 INTs - QBR 146.1

For context -

Brad Kaaya as a Jr. through 5 games: 82/127 (64.5%) 1149 yards, 10 TDs, 4 INTs

Stephen Morris as a Jr. through 5 games: 128/207 (62%) 1635 yards, 9 TDs, 4 INTs

Jacory Harris as a Jr. through 5 games: 94/166 (57%) 1140 yards, 10 TDs, 10 INTs

Yes, I know, different coaching staffs, different opponents and scenarios of course. However, you can't tell me that Malik Rosier doesn't belong as a Miami Hurricanes QB. Also, at this stage in their respective careers, Rosier as more wins over FSU than these three QBs combined. I mean, maybe you can make the argument that NONE of these guys belonged at Miami, but man, what Malik has done so far is nothing short of amazing. Are there plenty of things for him to work on? Absolutely. Has he gotten away with a few passes this season? Probably, but he's also thrown some absolute dimes and his fearlessness and forgetfulness is what has kept us competitive thusfar. Is he limited as a QB as far as the playbook is concerned? You bet. But history has proven that you can win with a "limited" QB. Bama nearly won a title last year with a QB who, IMO, is far more limited as a pure passer than Malik is.

Point is, this is a kid who's easy to root for, a gamer, and will go down swinging hard every time. Will the other shoe drop at some point this season? Is that 4 INT game lurking on the horizon? Maybe, but I firmly believe that the primary reason we're in the top-10 RIGHT NOW is because of Malik freakin' Rosier. How 'bout that?

Enjoy the ride, fellas.

giphy.gif

Advertisement
Again, Jacory as a Junior/Senior did not beat FSU. Neither did Morris or Kaaya. I didn't include sophomore year Jacory because I wanted to post Jr. year stats for all 4 QBs. Sophomore year Jacory beat FSU, but his stats don't play into this post. Sorry for the confusion.

What Rosier can do with his legs is also incredibly valuable. The run game is more successful because of the threat he is to keep the ball and the whole OL looks better

You need to add is rushing yards and TDs, that's just as important and give the D something else to defend.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
You can also add to the list:

3 game winning, 75+ yard plus drives so far this year.

malik over everybody ... 2 game winning Drives .. if you like any of those QBs better then malik you are a troll gtfoh ... malik the goat .... another thing that he has ....he is a leader and becoming even more of a leader which i LOVE AND which we need ... kaaya was not a good leader.

Advertisement
Looks about right.

He's about as good as Morris, Harris, Kaaya - and that's better than anyone thought he would be.

FYI Malik has 48 rushes for 146 yards (3 ypc) and 2 TDs so far this year.

Closest comparison to that on the above list is Stephen Morris who had 70 yards on 50 carries (1.4 ypc) and 1 TD his Jr. year.

Last edited:
I still get the sense we are limiting him somewhat, especially in terms of mid-range passes in the middle of the field. I seem to remember a few such passes in the Duke game, but other than that we have mostly stayed away. I'm guessing that's by design and that the coaches aren't quite comfortable with him firing passes across the middle with LBs dropping into coverage and safeties lurking around. I get the sense that we have gone out of our way to limit his INTs. It has worked, overall - I mean, we are 5-0 and haven't had those disastrous turnovers we'd been getting used to seeing year in and year out.

His next step, for me, is at least to play a more consistent game. ****, it's not just Malik, the whole team needs to be more consistent, or there will be a 4th quarter deficit too large to dig our way out of. We are clearly tweaking things in the second half, making good adjustments, and I'm happy about that, but we need to find a way to get going earlier. I'm concerned that our slow starts might be becoming habitual.

Advertisement
Back