Malik Rosier through 5 games

Best thing about him so far, aside from his monster fruit at the end of games, has been his decision-making. You can see Rick all over that because Rick absolutely will not tolerate bad decision-making.

If he keeps this up and his turnover rate remains about the same we will win the Coastal.

That throw at the end of the game was into double coverage though. Miami was very fortunate that the GA Tech safety took a **** poor angle on the ball.

4th and 12 against an all out pass rush doesn't usually end well. Percentage of 1st down conversions on that down and distance is probably around 10%.

How'd it turn out for us?

Advertisement
101/171 (59%), 1371 yards, 12 TDs, 3 INTs - QBR 146.1

For context -

Brad Kaaya as a Jr. through 5 games: 82/127 (64.5%) 1149 yards, 10 TDs, 4 INTs

Stephen Morris as a Jr. through 5 games: 128/207 (62%) 1635 yards, 9 TDs, 4 INTs

Jacory Harris as a Jr. through 5 games: 94/166 (57%) 1140 yards, 10 TDs, 10 INTs

Yes, I know, different coaching staffs, different opponents and scenarios of course. However, you can't tell me that Malik Rosier doesn't belong as a Miami Hurricanes QB. Also, at this stage in their respective careers, Rosier as more wins over FSU than these three QBs combined. I mean, maybe you can make the argument that NONE of these guys belonged at Miami, but man, what Malik has done so far is nothing short of amazing. Are there plenty of things for him to work on? Absolutely. Has he gotten away with a few passes this season? Probably, but he's also thrown some absolute dimes and his fearlessness and forgetfulness is what has kept us competitive thusfar. Is he limited as a QB as far as the playbook is concerned? You bet. But history has proven that you can win with a "limited" QB. Bama nearly won a title last year with a QB who, IMO, is far more limited as a pure passer than Malik is.

Point is, this is a kid who's easy to root for, a gamer, and will go down swinging hard every time. Will the other shoe drop at some point this season? Is that 4 INT game lurking on the horizon? Maybe, but I firmly believe that the primary reason we're in the top-10 RIGHT NOW is because of Malik freakin' Rosier. How 'bout that?

Enjoy the ride, fellas.

Yet, U failed to mention one fact. The Cane troika of Kaaya, Harris and Morris had PREVIOUS game experience- and U can't UNDER ESTIMATE that variable! dUh. Whereas Rosier has only five games ( Yes, there's Duke too. ) as a starter. And I absolute believe Rosier will become CONSISTENT as a starting QB as the season progresses! Yikes.

He could have a 4 int game and still lead the game winning drive at the end. Dude does not feel pressure. I really think he'll get a lot better as the season progresses too.

Yes. # 12 will absolutely IMPROVE as the season progresses. dUh. Matter of fact, I look for Rosier to PEAK right around the Va Tech and mighty Notre Dame games. Ouch! Then look out Cane HATERS. Because Miami will be in their first ACC title game, with a grand opportunity be be one of four play-off squads. hUh.

Best thing about him so far, aside from his monster fruit at the end of games, has been his decision-making. You can see Rick all over that because Rick absolutely will not tolerate bad decision-making.

If he keeps this up and his turnover rate remains about the same we will win the Coastal.

That throw at the end of the game was into double coverage though. Miami was very fortunate that the GA Tech safety took a **** poor angle on the ball.

4th and 12 against an all out pass rush doesn't usually end well. Percentage of 1st down conversions on that down and distance is probably around 10%.

How'd it turn out for us?

I think the word you are looking for is, "fortunate". I think Rosier has done a pretty good job thus far, but I would say his decision making has been average. He too has been fortunate with the way some of his throws have gone.

It's obviously one aspect of his game that should improve with time. He should have plenty of confidence now as the starting QB, now he just needs to work on slowing the game down and making his reads, either pass or run.

Advertisement
Back