Making the pieces fit on DL

We definitely need more talent though.
Because I saw Steele call some fronts that theoretically should've stopped the play, and our offense still got yards.
I saw Miller get cut-off by the Offensive Tackle while he was lined up in a 4i.
That should never happen, and because of that, Parrish picked up big yards.

Advertisement
You have to get creative with the fronts you run and HOW YOU PERSONNEL said fronts.

Personally I would utilize the Tite front on running downs with Miller at the 0-tech, Taylor and JHH at the 4i's and one of our lighter DE's at the "Jack" OLB spot. (I already know Steele runs the Tite front and we saw some of it during the spring)

Then you can move to the 4-front (even front) stuff during other downs, sub certain guys in and out depending on run/pass situations, etc etc etc.

The front-7 talent that Manny left us with is flat-out pathetic. To think about some of the kids/recruits he passed on (or lost) during those years make it even more frustrating.
I mentioned the 303 and 404 fronts earlier in the thread (post #70). However, that leaves us with the same NT situation. If we're counting on Jordan and Allen to be at the heart of us dictating down and distance, I mean, maybe they make some unexpected leap by Fall, but...

We shall see.

Allow the Center to free release?
And make the LB's responsible for both A-gaps?

That also takes our LB's completely out of the pass defense in some of our coverages.

You can't apex a slot WR's route, or carry a WR up the seam if you're primary gap is the A.
You can’t run it all the time, but modern defenses are running two 3T at the same time more and more.

But it definitely has downside. Is it worse than playing your 7th best DT?

Maybe you have to bite the bullet and play a Mesidor or Lichtenstein at NT more than you want and line him up at 1T.

But I reviewed that spring game and it was ugly up front.

Advertisement
**** near every program in the country is struggling with DL depth right now. Even the worst DL that enter the portal are getting bombarded with offers right now

I see Mesidor as a DT, and have no doubt that’s where he’s going to spend most of this time, moving to end occasionally. Maybe undersized slightly for a tackle, but I think he’ll be disruptive with his relative quicknes.

I know one thing, I feel a lot better about the defensive line now than I did a month ago. We’re not all the way there yet, and we’re not gonna have a spectacular line, but it’ll be very serviceable.

You can’t run it all the time, but modern defenses are running two 3T at the same time more and more.

But it definitely has downside. Is it worse than playing your 7th best DT?

Maybe you have to bite the bullet and play a Mesidor or Lichtenstein at NT more than you want and line him up at 1T.

But I reviewed that spring game and it was ugly up front.

This is the key point. People talking like our two natural NGs (Miller and Haye) did something. I didn't see it. Yes they made a couple plays. But more often than not were washed out by guys I would not consider top P5 interior OL. You have LT, JHH, Roberts, Moultrie, Lichtenstein -- heck even Mesidor if you need him inside -- all better than these 2 kids. That's 5-6 guys as Lance notes.

Why would you play either kid other than in situational snaps? It makes no sense. You need to figure out a better scheme to get the more talented players more snaps. ... or you need to go find a portal NG who is more talented. Steele and Salave'a have their work cut out for them.

Advertisement
You have to get creative with the fronts you run and HOW YOU PERSONNEL said fronts.

Personally I would utilize the Tite front on running downs with Miller at the 0-tech, Taylor and JHH at the 4i's and one of our lighter DE's at the "Jack" OLB spot. (I already know Steele runs the Tite front and we saw some of it during the spring)

Then you can move to the 4-front (even front) stuff during other downs, sub certain guys in and out depending on run/pass situations, etc etc etc.

The front-7 talent that Manny left us with is flat-out pathetic. To think about some of the kids/recruits he passed on (or lost) during those years make it even more frustrating.
So you'd go even front with them and not odd?

Advertisement
We will see under fronts (saw some in the spring game) I don't see it being the base defense as today's offenses require your Sam/nickel to play in space much more than footing a TE.

We will also see standard over fronts set to the field/boundary vs strength which ends up being an under front with your Sam/nickel off the ball over #2.
Well said.. good point.

WEZ, My head is spinning here. I was never a coach and it's been 35 years since I played HS ball (not good enough for college). Is there a video out there that gets into these schemes for us amateurs?
Lmfaoo.

Read his post and look at this diagram. It should help.

I would hope you can decipher the terminology well enough to get the gist

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220422-202355_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220422-202355_Chrome.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 75
Advertisement
What’s great about these additions to the DL is we have experience now! Without these free agent signings, JHH was the most experienced DL and that would’ve been downright concerning.

For his size Miller is way to easy to move sideways out of the hole.

He doesn’t dominate one on one and reset the line of scrimmage. It puts a lot of pressure on the other tackle and linebackers. He wasn’t getting blown off the ball, but he doesn’t do what we need at the position.

Advertisement
Back