Major Applewhite

Applewhite has plenty of experience calling plays and called plays for Todd Herman at Houston. He's still going to be a solid play caller and we can't wait two weeks for the temple interviews to go through if we want to have a chance to finish decent in recruiting.

You 100% wait for the better hire. 1 recruiting class that is not great on that side of the ball as it is isn’t worth a better coach and future recruiting classes

Advertisement
What the **** are you talking about as far the QB issue? Do you know who D'Eriq King is? He got injured late in the year. Played WR and running back early in his career. Accounted for 50 TDs this season at QB. Outside of 2017, when healthy the starting QBs at Houston were prolific while Applewhite was there.

Which qb are you talking about, because he inherited a good qb when he got there.

Advertisement
I'd prefer him to Fedora. He's called plays more recently, has worked with two of the top 5 HCs in the game IMO (Saban and Herman) and can recruit pretty well. The way he runs his offense and calls plays is bascially everything Manny said he wanted in his press tour. He's gotten better at every stop.

Let's hope you're spot on. He better bring us some Texas QBs. Will feel much better about CandyApple if we can surround him with Seider and Troop. With those guys recruiting, it would be hard to not have success on offense with the talent we will pull. But then again, if my memory serves me correct....

We have also been complaining about a QB coach. I can see Applewhite as the OC and QB coach. He is somebody that will big time college football experience playing the position, coaching the position, OC experience, and head coaching experience. He also runs a spread system. I'm not sure if I see any negatives right now.

Advertisement
Y'all were crying over CMR's offense all year now we are bringing in a young OC who has HC experience, worked under two great HC's, and will be bringing a spread offense... he might not be the sexiest name but he's a whole lot better than what we had.

Where do you get these rankings? Houston had a higher ranked offense than Leach in almost every year Applewhite has coached there as a coordinator or HC.

You were almost certainly among the many who desperately wanted a Herman/Applewhite duo three years ago — when the entire football world was salivating over an offense called by Applewhite.

Guy isn’t a home run. But Jesus, enough with the hyperbole.
Yep

I'm going to post a thread shortly with more relevant stats on applewhite

Advertisement
On record with saying Applewhite would be much further down on my list from Fedora and even Coley.

Fedora is an excellent teacher, he's innovative, and he relates well to the kids. Excellent coach, pretty good recruiter.

Coley is the opposite. As good a recruiter as there is in the country, but not killing anyone in the X's and O's game.

Applewhite is below both in each category. He's not an innovative coach, and the kids don't particularly like him. Sure, he'd be a major step up from Richt calling plays, but who wouldn't? Diaz needs to aim higher. Either get a really good, smart coach (Fedora) or get someone in here who will upgrade the talent to the point you don't need a giant schematic advantage (Coley).

Applewhite does neither.

Let's hope you're spot on. He better bring us some Texas QBs. Will feel much better about CandyApple if we can surround him with Seider and Troop. With those guys recruiting, it would be hard to not have success on offense with the talent we will pull. But then again, if my memory serves me correct....

Lies... Lies... Lies...

Amazing is what we were told and mediocre is what we got. Now its up to the puppets to hype up the guy that no other power 5 school wants.

Advertisement
Fedora would be a home run hire. Everyone has reported we’ve offered him the job. If it’s not going to be fedora, that means he’s turned it down. Not that Manny went with Applewhite instead.

As for Applewhite, I legit can’t understand the doom and gloom on this board. No he wasn’t a good head coach. That doesn’t mean **** as an OC. His offense is up tempo and exciting and will get our athletes in space. He can develop quarterbacks and score in bunches. Sign me up.

apfeldink... Bummer if true.

Oh well.

The Ono hire is the DOUBLE RED FLAGs for me.

Welp, I still take the stance that we are at the penny slots on house money these days.

Manny still better than another year or two of Rekt and Manny gets about two years to show it, so at least there's some hope and interest to pay attention this off season.

Hope you're right. I'd prefer Fedora over Applewhite for sure.
I’m just using common sense to what I’ve been able to fine that isn’t a random poster/twitter profile. Temple fans said that they haven’t heard anything, nothing linking him officially as a lead candidate other than Ivins/reporters saying he’s gonna listen.

Fedora would be a home run hire. Everyone has reported we’ve offered him the job. If it’s not going to be fedora, that means he’s turned it down. Not that Manny went with Applewhite instead.

As for Applewhite, I legit can’t understand the doom and gloom on this board. No he wasn’t a good head coach. That doesn’t mean **** as an OC. His offense is up tempo and exciting and will get our athletes in space. He can develop quarterbacks and score in bunches. Sign me up.

The only thing exciting about this is that in 3years we will be celebrating the Firing or departure of Blake James.

Advertisement
Back