Mahoney play

Advertisement
look at fu*cking Donaldson and Gauthier. Thats the story of this ol. Scaife ave a short corener and got beat as well. But we had essentially 2 ol do absolutely nothing lmao

He’s got to go plain and simple.

You shouldn’t be at Miami get pushed around like this and this is not just one game remember him getting thrown to the floor by the db from Savannah state?

Richt play calling is absolutely terrible and he shouldn’t be devoid of criticism in that aspect but some of these lineman most notably Jahair Jones and Hayden Mahoney are terrible. Donaldson gets also gets beat too often with the speed rush and should strictly be a guard and the transition to left tackle for st.louis hasn’t been that good either

Daaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmm

I said it during the LSU game. Donaldson was pushed way back by a 245lb LB. How?

I know Gus is a certified trainer, but that OL gets pummeled on bull rushes.

I think Felder is doing his job, I know that Fighting Stacy Searless is not...O line issue is predominantly 2 things:
1. Playing 2 players that should not even be on the UM practice squad
2. Searless is not coaching up these kids properly. Their technique is straight Mierda. They are almost always off balance and on D Line stunts, they usually don't pick up the right player.

Advertisement
Just sharing a memory that just popped up , that's all while were on O-LINE.

Many years ago I hand a conversation for a couple hours with Mad Dog Jim Mandich at my sisters wedding over many green lizards his favorite beer and I mean many geeez can't remember quantity:)

I asked Mad Dog for some reason this stuck with me , Mad Dog what was it like in the huddle with Kooch ,Langer and Little O-LINE , his reply.

There's something about a couple of bloody noses with vomit coming of your O-LINE nostrils as there grunting.....RUN IT AGAIN , yes GOCANES05 some very fond memories .

GOCANES

It's all in Mahoney's stance on this one. He's playing too upright and is off balance. Couple in you have a OLB (that's probably around 205-215lbs), it just looks all around bad.
That's what I think he chipped in to help the guy to his left and then tried to get back to catch the Blitzer on his right. If he played straight up he might have been able to handle the blitzer without getting thrown back...but he wasn't good enough technique-wise to regain his balance and handle that guy. I saw similar problems with our OLs against LSU. We don't have much talent. Maybe a different type of offense wouldn't expose this level of mediocrity.

Advertisement
Absolutely. The "skill positions" get most of the press, but multi-dimensional Os and Ds all start with the beef up front.

Not having great talent in the trenches dooms both Os and Ds to one-dimensional/no-dimensional schemes. Thats a really hard way to win.
Actually, maybe not always true. The great UM offenses under Schnellenberger were designed to compensate for lack of physical superiority.

Howard said, when you don't have physical superiority, you can't win by "leaning." When you're physically inferior, you win by neutralizing the physical superiority of the defense.

All your OLs have to do is neutralize pass rushing DLs, you don't have to defeat them like you do playing power football with lots of running. Instead, the DL has to run like **** to get to the QB. In the meantime, it becomes a two-on-one battle, your QB and the WR versus the DB.

Howard described that as divide-and-conquer. That's how our pro passing attack managed to overcome many physically superior defenses.

Now, maybe that proves your point--it seems it results in one dimension. Ideally, Howard's offense sought to maintain a pass-run balance. When we sputtered in the OB against Nebraska in '84 BC game, Kosar said it was because we got out of pass run balance. If we're successful passing, that should help open up the run game.

Actually, maybe not always true. The great UM offenses under Schnellenberger were designed to compensate for lack of physical superiority.

Howard said, when you don't have physical superiority, you can't win by "leaning." When you're physically inferior, you win by neutralizing the physical superiority of the defense.

All your OLs have to do is neutralize pass rushing DLs, you don't have to defeat them like you do playing power football with lots of running. Instead, the DL has to run like **** to get to the QB. In the meantime, it becomes a two-on-one battle, your QB and the WR versus the DB.

Howard described that as divide-and-conquer. That's how our pro passing attack managed to overcome many physically superior defenses.

Now, maybe that proves your point--it seems it results in one dimension. Ideally, Howard's offense sought to maintain a pass-run balance. When we sputtered in the OB against Nebraska in '84 BC game, Kosar said it was because we got out of pass run balance. If we're successful passing, that should help open up the run game.

Totally agree. History shows several matchups where "fast attack" vs "big beef" have often led to lopsided results (Miami v Nebraska, UF v Nebraska, etc.).

The ham handed point I tried to make is that todays elite teams are doing both--pass and run. I get it that, when rolling, they both set up each other.

Right now, if Miami can't generate an effective aerial attack, thw OL is simply incapable of establishing any run game, let alone with power.

Thats how you beat Miami's team this season--somehow stop the pass (or let QB under performance do it for you) and just keep plugging away on O until Miami's D, being forced to defend against how many drives and awful field position, cracks just a little for a TD or FG.

Goodness, with a little luck, UVA would have beaten Miami 6-3.

UVA...6-3!

look at fu*cking Donaldson and Gauthier. Thats the story of this ol. Scaife ave a short corener and got beat as well. But we had essentially 2 ol do absolutely nothing lmao
How much of that is simply bad technique due to bad coaching and how much is simply having guys with poor athleticism?

I saw such stiffness at times versus LSU. I think we're just recruiting stiffs, guys who lack talent.

We used to move a lot of DLs over to offense. If we could do that now we might have better athletes on offense. But we need much bigger guys now and DLs are often not big enough.

Totally agree. History shows several matchups where "fast attack" vs "big beef" have often led to lopsided results (Miami v Nebraska, UF v Nebraska, etc.).

The ham handed point I tried to make is that todays elite teams are doing both--pass and run. I get it that, when rolling, they both set up each other.

Right now, if Miami can't generate an effective aerial attack, thw OL is simply incapable of establishing any run game, let alone with power.

Thats how you beat Miami's team this season--somehow stop the pass (or let QB under performance do it for you) and just keep plugging away on O until Miami's D, being forced to defend against how many drives and awful field position, cracks just a little for a TD or FG.

Goodness, with a little luck, UVA would have beaten Miami 6-3.

UVA...6-3!
Incredible that the once potent Miami aerial attack is so pathetic...and we have such explosive skill position talent.

Advertisement

You shouldn’t be at Miami get pushed around like this and this is not just one game remember him getting thrown to the floor by the db from Savannah state?

Richt play calling is absolutely terrible and he shouldn’t be devoid of criticism in that aspect but some of these lineman most notably Jahair Jones and Hayden Mahoney are terrible. Donaldson gets also gets beat too often with the speed rush and should strictly be a guard and the transition to left tackle for st.louis hasn’t been that good either

This is the part when people want to criticize coach richt as an oc, they either dont know football or just want to complain. Im glad you posted mahone being on skates, coach richt cant fix everything in under 3yrs, but its being address. If we had a solid o-line than most would be on coach richt, but we know better!

This is the part when people want to criticize coach richt as an oc, they either dont know football or just want to complain. Im glad you posted mahone being on skates, coach richt cant fix everything in under 3yrs, but its being address. If we had a solid o-line than most would be on coach richt, but we know better!
What he can fix is benching him, you are either coaching it or allowing it is my motto

Advertisement
What he can fix is benching him, you are either coaching it or allowing it is my motto

Bench him for who, a True freshmen, if it wasnt for scaife coming showing promise and being in position now to start, thats the only reason mahone got bench cause we are now able to move navaughn back to his original position. Its ok to us motto's sometimes, but right now, that motto doesnt apply, do you think coach richt wants to be stuck with Jahir jones and hayden as his starting guards, you cant think that.

St. Louis / Boulware / Gauthier / Donaldson / Scaife

does anyone disagree?

I don’t understand why that’s not the starting line.
At this point you already burned Scaife redshirt. Might as well roll with him and let him get experience.

How much of that is simply bad technique due to bad coaching and how much is simply having guys with poor athleticism?

I saw such stiffness at times versus LSU. I think we're just recruiting stiffs, guys who lack talent.

We used to move a lot of DLs over to offense. If we could do that now we might have better athletes on offense. But we need much bigger guys now and DLs are often not big enough.

When i realized searles was Va Tech's ol coach...i remember him having sloths at tackle as well. He cant hit ona tackle worth a ****..lol Our guys are genuinely big and stiff. I actually like last years clas sthough with Reed and Campbell. Im not that high on Tarquin kind of similar to his usual of slow footed tackles.

Hayden Mahoney is this team's version of Matt Pipho.

Advertisement
Back