M. Rosier > T. Martell

Might be a bit OT, But look at Justin fields debut who was touted as the best qb prospect in years he underwhelmed too so it can happen to anybody. 4-13 131 yards 1 td(98 from 1 play that was underthrown).

Advertisement
The "too short" is played out and doesn't apply to college football anymore. It may have applied 15 years ago but that hasn't been true for a while now.

Also, u aren't winning a natty with a "gun" and no mobility in your QB unless u get a Trevor Lawrence type talent that comes around once every decade. Look at every QB who has won a title in the CFP era. They've all been mobile.

How many very good not even great college QB's are short with no gun? It still applies to me.

Not winning a natty with a gun and no mobility? Of course you can, Bama has done it many times. You have a great line you don't need a QB that can run all over the field even though I'd prefer having one that can that doesn't fumble. Many of Bama's QB's have been average at best, like I've said for years, great LINEMEN WIN championships. Some of the guys here get caught up in the DB bull****, give me linemen and I'll be happy. Bama and Clemson are winning because of their lines. If we need to have 4 linemen recruits I'd take 6.

But I do agree TL is a sick talent, not sure how anyone beats Clemson with him in there with the linemen they recruit .. It can be done but someone better have an awesome D line to do it. Not sure I've ever seen a freshman QB as good as him or I just don't remember one anyways. What he did to Bama was amazing.

How many very good not even great college QB's are short with no gun? It still applies to me.

Not winning a natty with a gun and no mobility? Of course you can, Bama has done it many times. You have a great line you don't need a QB that can run all over the field even though I'd prefer having one that can that doesn't fumble. Many of Bama's QB's have been average at best, like I've said for years, great LINEMEN WIN championships. Some of the guys here get caught up in the DB bull****, give me linemen and I'll be happy. Bama and Clemson are winning because of their lines. If we need to have 4 linemen recruits I'd take 6.

But I do agree TL is a sick talent, not sure how anyone beats Clemson with him in there with the linemen they recruit .. It can be done but someone better have an awesome D line to do it. Not sure I've ever seen a freshman QB as good as him or I just don't remember one anyways. What he did to Bama was amazing.

Baker Mayfield, Johnny Manziel. Both Heisman trophy winners and both do not have the best arm.

When is the last time Bama has had a QB without mobility win a natty?

Baker Mayfield, Johnny Manziel. Both Heisman trophy winners and both do not have the best arm.

Both have great arms who are you kidding? Tate is nowhere near as fast or mobile as either one of them. You're comparing apples to oranges here. I hope he proves me wrong but I don't see that happening. I just don't see what you're seeing, again I hope I'm wrong. I didn't see a QB at those games I would have recruited.

Advertisement
Both have great arms who are you kidding? Tate is nowhere near as fast or mobile as either one of them. You're comparing apples to oranges here. I hope he proves me wrong but I don't see that happening. I just don't see what you're seeing, again I hope I'm wrong. I didn't see a QB at those games I would have recruited.
now ur tripping, Tate is just as mobile as both of them. He is definitely more mobile than Baker and is just as mobile as Manziel. That being said I do agree with your statement on Tate's arm strength.

I'm going to let you choose from this list who had average mobility and who didn't. But there is a handful. Again, GREAT LINES WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. Look at what Bama recruited this year, exacty what we should do, learn from the best don't ignore them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Alabama_Crimson_Tide_starting_quarterbacks

In your initial point u said that Tate was too short. That does not apply to college football today like it did 15 years ago. The past two Heisman winners do not have "prototypical" height.

U also said that u like your QB to have a gun and I countered that with if he has a gun and no mobility u won't win a natty. Trevor Lawrence is an exception but those type players do not come in every class. You're lucky if u find one in every 5 classes.

Advertisement
I'm going to let you choose from this list who had average mobility and who didn't. But there is a handful. Again, GREAT LINES WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. Look at what Bama recruited this year, exacty what we should do, learn from the best don't ignore them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Alabama_Crimson_Tide_starting_quarterbacks

I'm talking about recent history. There's a reason why Saban switch from the Greg McElroy's to the Blake Sims, Jalen Hurts, And Tua's.

Fromm will never win a title at Georgia. He doesn't have the arm like Trevor and he is not mobile. From a talent standpoint Georgia is on the same level as Bama and Clenson though.

In your initial point u said that Tate was too short. That does not apply to college football today like it did 15 years ago. The past two Heisman winners do not have "prototypical" height.

U also said that u like your QB to have a gun and I countered that with if he has a gun and no mobility u won't win a natty. Trevor Lawrence is an exception but those type players do not come in every class. You're lucky if u find one in every 5 classes.

I said Tate was to short with an average arm Then you bring up the best two short guys in the past 10 years, lol. But they had guns which Tate doesn't. No way in **** is Tate as mobile as Manziel. That guy could throw 50 yarders on the run and hit his target. Why are you even comparing these guys with Tate? Just because Tate is short? Well there's probably 500 other short HS QB's you could compare them to because they are short, but they will never be those two. This is a dumb comparison. Tate has never been close to as good as either one of them and never will be.

Advertisement
I don't get what you were trying to accomplish by providing these numbers. You said Tate isn't as mobile as Baker or Manziel, but he is.

Not in my opinion he isn't! You're right there is not going to be any comparison, this guy hit on over 70% of his passes his last two years and 64 and 68% the two years before, Tate will never do this, bank on it..... He's not in the same league as these guys...

Coker won a NC one year after Sims who didn't win one. With Bama's lines if they had a great QB that wasn't that mobile they could still win because of their lines. Coker, AJ won two, GM won one. This was all in the past 10 years. There is at least 4 in the past 10 years. Tua and Hurts both won because of Bama's lines make no mistake about that. Again, I can say this a million times it never sinks in with some people, in most cases Lines win NC's it's easy to see. Put Tua or Hurts on Miami teams and Clemson still eats us alive. Why? Lines!

Might be a bit OT, But look at Justin fields debut who was touted as the best qb prospect in years he underwhelmed too so it can happen to anybody. 4-13 131 yards 1 td(98 from 1 play that was underthrown).

Here's some points taken from the OSU 247 site. One of their writers did an excellent write up of their "game". There was no tackling in their game at all. And not just for the QBs. sounded like some rough "touch" football. Didn't make alot of fans happy but apparently Urban only had tackling for a brief quarter or so when he was there. It was a very long write up - This is the assessment of the QB play:

I figured Fields would have that Troy Smith running career track, which is something I’ve been saying for months. By that, I mean he’ll rely on his feet more in the early portion of his career and then as his passing confidence grows he’ll run less and less. After yesterday’s performance, I feel more confident of that than ever. Expect a lot of running early on as he continues to build chemistry with an obviously talented receiving corps.

6) Might as well talk about the passing game right now, shall we? Much was made of the Fields-Baldwin battle throughout the spring, but the truth is that we had a clear answer from Ryan Day today with the amount of passing he allowed each respective player to do in the game. Baldwin attempted 30 passes, Fields attempted 13. Fields started slowly before picking up the pace with a couple of nice completions on the drive where he ran in the touchdown, followed by the 98 yard bomb to Bin Victor. His arm looks strong, but when you only have four completions, it’s a slow start. But I don’t think 4 for 13 is the kind of numbers that will be indicative of how he’ll throw come the fall when he starts. Plus if Day had questions, he’d have thrown a lot more balls yesterday.

There was further info about him being used as a running threat primarily. His arm is pretty strong so the threat of the deep ball will always be there. It sounded to me like he is not that much further along the learning curve than Tate. The difference being his running skills are being emphasized in the way Day is using him. He is also the presumed starter. Tate does not have the same situation with Enos.

Advertisement
Here's some points taken from the OSU 247 site. One of their writers did an excellent write up of their "game". There was no tackling in their game at all. And not just for the QBs. sounded like some rough "touch" football. Didn't make alot of fans happy but apparently Urban only had tackling for a brief quarter or so when he was there. It was a very long write up - This is the assessment of the QB play:

I figured Fields would have that Troy Smith running career track, which is something I’ve been saying for months. By that, I mean he’ll rely on his feet more in the early portion of his career and then as his passing confidence grows he’ll run less and less. After yesterday’s performance, I feel more confident of that than ever. Expect a lot of running early on as he continues to build chemistry with an obviously talented receiving corps.

6) Might as well talk about the passing game right now, shall we? Much was made of the Fields-Baldwin battle throughout the spring, but the truth is that we had a clear answer from Ryan Day today with the amount of passing he allowed each respective player to do in the game. Baldwin attempted 30 passes, Fields attempted 13. Fields started slowly before picking up the pace with a couple of nice completions on the drive where he ran in the touchdown, followed by the 98 yard bomb to Bin Victor. His arm looks strong, but when you only have four completions, it’s a slow start. But I don’t think 4 for 13 is the kind of numbers that will be indicative of how he’ll throw come the fall when he starts. Plus if Day had questions, he’d have thrown a lot more balls yesterday.

There was further info about him being used as a running threat primarily. His arm is pretty strong so the threat of the deep ball will always be there. It sounded to me like he is not that much further along the learning curve than Tate. The difference being his running skills are being emphasized in the way Day is using him. He is also the presumed starter. Tate does not have the same situation with Enos.
Pretty crazy , especially considering fields was supposed to be gifted throwing

Why the hatred so early in the Morning.

3DF19636-F9AE-4802-B22E-8903FEA505FC.gif

Im going with the logic of the Tate Haters

If Justin Fields was any good, he would have started at Georgia.

Advertisement
Back