LU, what are your thoughts on our defense?

Canesfan1899

All-American
Premium
I have been interested in hearing your thoughts for a while but it seems you were not around a lot on Grassy.

Are there schematic flaws in Coach D's defense, or is he simply trying to cover up too many problem areas?

Advertisement
I have been interested in hearing your thoughts for a while but it seems you were not around a lot on Grassy.

Are there schematic flaws in Coach D's defense, or is he simply trying to cover up too many problem areas?

Before the season, I mentioned that, in order to be effective, we were going to have to do a lot with smoke and mirrors. This was *before* the injuries to Marcus Forston (who I expected to have a solid campaign in a contact year-like attempt to go Pro) and Curtis Porter (who I consider is a difference maker on our defense).

Have you read up on New Orleans' current defense? Here's an excerpt:

The blame can be shared equally among every unit of the defense. The rushing yards are often coming around the edges. The defensive ends, linebackers and defensive backs have taken turns missing tackles or simply being out of position.
As longtime NFL scout and media analyst Chris Landry explained, that's one of the risks associated with the Saints' style.
"I get this a lot, that they're 'not a good tackling team,' " Landry said. "Well, they're not because they're so effusive to get upfield that they're not in great position to make tackles. They don't defend the run well partly for that reason. When they don't get there (on the blitz), it opens up some run lanes -- and they become exposed. You can run right at them."

This is what I expected of our defense BEFORE the season - when I thought we'd have a serviceable defensive line that could do a few things. When you take that away, you're left in the proverbial "between a rock and a hard place." I don't think we have players who are very comfortable playing zone coverages. I think we have mental lapses and breakdowns that are expected in a transition to a new style of play. But, mostly, I do not believe we have the horses to run anything other than a "hope and pray the QB is inaccurate or that the offense is out of rhythm"-type of defense.

on your last point, every time the opposing QB throws a ball i do not expect it to be defended, but rather just hope it is off target.

Advertisement
I just think we are lacking in talent. Our secondary is mediocre at best and rarely breaks up any pass. The pass rush is not helping them out either, but I still think the biggest issue is in the secondary.

I'm definitely not in the 'blame the coach' camp. The talent just isn't there.

Advertisement
Pretty pathetic if that's what miami's defensive stategy is centered upon. Honestly, I don't think coach D is very good. You can say he had a talent advantage at Temple yet when his defense faced any O with a pulse the performance was below satisfactory.

Pretty pathetic if that's what miami's defensive stategy is centered upon. Honestly, I don't think coach D is very good. You can say he had a talent advantage at Temple yet when his defense faced any O with a pulse the performance was below satisfactory.

With our players, what would you base a defense on?

It doesn't help our defense when this is probably our worse D line and DBs in over 20 years. Not a lot to work with right now.

Advertisement
on your last point, every time the opposing QB throws a ball i do not expect it to be defended, but rather just hope it is off target.

So true, I don't think I've seen a DB on our team undercut a throw since VT did in the opener against Maryland.

That's essentially why I asked the question. I want to know if you think this is more of a Coach D being in over his head, or as has been pointed out frequently in this thread, us just not having any real difference makers on defense.

I'm with you Lu.

When we have people saying our D Coordinator isn't good I ask them what do you suggest he do? They always say blitz, blitz, blitz. I say didn't you see what happened vs VTech on that long pass or how about 2 of our blitz attempt vs UVA, WR screen for TD where RayRay ran himself out of the play and the long TD when the RB was matched up vs Gaines. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. We have our worst DL and Secondary that I every remember seeing and our LBs outside of Spence are pretty inexperienced.

Advertisement
That's essentially why I asked the question. I want to know if you think this is more of a Coach D being in over his head, or as has been pointed out frequently in this thread, us just not having any real difference makers on defense.

I can't tell you anything fair about Coach D until there's more evidence with at least a reasonable group of players. There are flaws, no doubt. I just can't tell if they seem more pronounced because of the players. FWIW, I haven't seen anything from him that made me sit up in my seat and want to "learn" from him. Maybe he doesn't have that talent; maybe he can't use that talent.

Everybody keeps complaining about personel but when I watch other teams with worse personel perform better and come in with better defensive game plans the personel issue becomes an excuse. Sorry noy buying it.

Everybody keeps complaining about personel but when I watch other teams with worse personel perform better and come in with better defensive game plans the personel issue becomes an excuse. Sorry noy buying it.

I don't necessarily disagree but that's such a blanket statement that tells me nothing.

What defense do you suggest we play? What are those teams doing better? What gameplans are they implementing that we aren't?

TeamSports,

You're more than welcome to disagree. But, can you answer the question and give examples of worse teams with worse personnel? I'm curious as to some concrete examples and subsequent suggestions.

Advertisement
Back