LU, what are your thoughts on our defense?

Typical Shannon slurper. Who cares about TFLs and sacks, genius. Those stats are for chumps and geeks. Did you watch this defense last year? We were HORRIBLE when we really needed them to step up. That defense lost SIX games last year.

name the 6 games

Advertisement
If you have d-lineman who can't rushg the passer who's fault is that? Mind you some of these same players played on last years team that led the nation in TFL's and was top 10 in sacks. Those same players look worse this year.

Why do people bring up last years defense like it was good? It sucked too despite having a 2nd rounder, 2 3rd rounders, and a 4th round pick on the team. There is a decent chance that Spence is the only Sr drafted off our defense this year.

In our loses last year we gave up 36,45,24,31,23,33 points.

Why do people bring up last years defense like it was good? It sucked too despite having a 2nd rounder, 2 3rd rounders, and a 4th round pick on the team. There is a decent chance that Spence is the only Sr drafted off our defense this year.

In our loses last year we gave up 36,45,24,31,23,33 points.

Yea, turnovers had nothing to do with that.

4 turnovers vs OSU*
5 vs Virginia
4 vs Notre Dame
5 vs Virginia Tech

Yea, the defense lost those games.

Come on guys you can't hang games on he defense when your offense is turning the ball over 4-5 times a game. Imagine this defense in last years situation....ouch. Didn't you guys see the stat earlier this year that showed how many points our defense gave up last year off of turnovers and th field position they started with. It was ungodly.

Advertisement
I have been interested in hearing your thoughts for a while but it seems you were not around a lot on Grassy.

Are there schematic flaws in Coach D's defense, or is he simply trying to cover up too many problem areas?

Before the season, I mentioned that, in order to be effective, we were going to have to do a lot with smoke and mirrors. This was *before* the injuries to Marcus Forston (who I expected to have a solid campaign in a contact year-like attempt to go Pro) and Curtis Porter (who I consider is a difference maker on our defense).

Have you read up on New Orleans' current defense? Here's an excerpt:

The blame can be shared equally among every unit of the defense. The rushing yards are often coming around the edges. The defensive ends, linebackers and defensive backs have taken turns missing tackles or simply being out of position.
As longtime NFL scout and media analyst Chris Landry explained, that's one of the risks associated with the Saints' style.
"I get this a lot, that they're 'not a good tackling team,' " Landry said. "Well, they're not because they're so effusive to get upfield that they're not in great position to make tackles. They don't defend the run well partly for that reason. When they don't get there (on the blitz), it opens up some run lanes -- and they become exposed. You can run right at them."

This is what I expected of our defense BEFORE the season - when I thought we'd have a serviceable defensive line that could do a few things. When you take that away, you're left in the proverbial "between a rock and a hard place." I don't think we have players who are very comfortable playing zone coverages. I think we have mental lapses and breakdowns that are expected in a transition to a new style of play. But, mostly, I do not believe we have the horses to run anything other than a "hope and pray the QB is inaccurate or that the offense is out of rhythm"-type of defense.

Interesting... smoke and mirrors still?

I have been interested in hearing your thoughts for a while but it seems you were not around a lot on Grassy.

Are there schematic flaws in Coach D's defense, or is he simply trying to cover up too many problem areas?

Before the season, I mentioned that, in order to be effective, we were going to have to do a lot with smoke and mirrors. This was *before* the injuries to Marcus Forston (who I expected to have a solid campaign in a contact year-like attempt to go Pro) and Curtis Porter (who I consider is a difference maker on our defense).

The blame can be shared equally among every unit of the defense. The rushing yards are often coming around the edges. The defensive ends, linebackers and defensive backs have taken turns missing tackles or simply being out of position.
As longtime NFL scout and media analyst Chris Landry explained, that's one of the risks associated with the Saints' style.
"I get this a lot, that they're 'not a good tackling team,' " Landry said. "Well, they're not because they're so effusive to get upfield that they're not in great position to make tackles. They don't defend the run well partly for that reason. When they don't get there (on the blitz), it opens up some run lanes -- and they become exposed. You can run right at them."

This is what I expected of our defense BEFORE the season - when I thought we'd have a serviceable defensive line that could do a few things. When you take that away, you're left in the proverbial "between a rock and a hard place." I don't think we have players who are very comfortable playing zone coverages. I think we have mental lapses and breakdowns that are expected in a transition to a new style of play. But, mostly, I do not believe we have the horses to run anything other than a "hope and pray the QB is inaccurate or that the offense is out of rhythm"-type of defense.

I think the coaches are still running a defense predicated on "hope and pray the QB is inaccurate or that the offense is out of rhythm." I don't believe they're idiots, so as I've said, I think it's a conscious decision on that style of play. I acknowledge that, like in the post above, we don't have the talent necessary to win games defensively against elite teams. I still find it hard to believe people argue that we don't have enough talent to slow down VTech's offense or not get steamrolled by Duke.

I think the coaches are still running a defense predicated on "hope and pray the QB is inaccurate or that the offense is out of rhythm." I don't believe they're idiots, so as I've said, I think it's a conscious decision on that style of play. I acknowledge that, like in the post above, we don't have the talent necessary to win games defensively against elite teams. I still find it hard to believe people argue that we don't have enough talent to slow down VTech's offense or not get steamrolled by Duke.

Don't want to thread jack, but Lu, given your comments here (don't believe coaches are idiots, conscious decision on style of play), I'd love to know your thoughts on our goal line defense where we, at times, keep backers 4-5 yards deep. I'm looking for a plausible explanation or philosophy under that particular circumstance. I started a thread about it earlier today and I think it's an interesting discussion.

Last edited:

I guess we have a different definition for idiot. Stubborn, insane comes to mind. To see the same result week after week and offenses dictating at will what they want to do.

Advertisement
This guy gets it!
Pretty pathetic if that's what miami's defensive stategy is centered upon. Honestly, I don't think coach D is very good. You can say he had a talent advantage at Temple yet when his defense faced any O with a pulse the performance was below satisfactory.

It doesn't help our defense when this is probably our worse D line and DBs in over 20 years. Not a lot to work with right now.

This provids further evidence that while talent is not where we want it...the coaching on the defensive side of the ball is sub par. Dorito is not a BCS D1 level coordinator. His schemes are elementary and better suited for pop Warner 65lb leagues.

Advertisement
Back