LU, what are your thoughts on our defense?

This has to be the worst secondary we have had in decades. There isn't a legitimate playmaker in defensive backfield, couple that with an inferior pass-rush and you have major problems.

I would like to see us manufacture more pressure with some blitzes, but then makes the porous secondary even more susceptible to the big play if you don't get there.

Advertisement
I think the D has made some strides...If you see game 1 to now they are playing a little better but that's just my 2 cents..

I think the D has made some strides...If you see game 1 to now they are playing a little better but that's just my 2 cents..

I agree there's improvement in certain areas, but our CB's seem to play off WR's about 10 yards and allow below average QB's to just pick us apart. At some point you have to generate pressure if the front 4 can't get it done, which to this point they haven't.

With FSU this week we are going to have to disrupt Manual or he will pick us apart worse than L. Thomas did IMO.

TeamSports,

You're more than welcome to disagree. But, can you answer the question and give examples of worse teams with worse personnel? I'm curious as to some concrete examples and subsequent suggestions.

Boston College and NC At&t have worse personel than we do yet they performed better against Maryland and Bethume Cookman. You can't tell me we have worse personel than those teams. You need more examples? Towson played better, defensively, vs Maryland than we did I'm willing to bet that a large part of that has do with their defensive game planning.

There's no excuse to line your DB's 10-15 yards back and have them bail. You can't make certain defensive play calls and not leave your defense an "out" or audible like we did vs K-state. You can't allow a mlb to cover a rb with no help like we did vs UV.

When the year began I made the same excuses but now those excuses are looking pretty lame.

Boston College and NC At&t have worse personel than we do yet they performed better against Maryland and Bethume Cookman. You can't tell me we have worse personel than those teams. You need more examples? Towson played better, defensively, vs Maryland than we did I'm willing to bet that a large part of that has do with their defensive game planning.

There's no excuse to line your DB's 10-15 yards back and have them bail. You can't make certain defensive play calls and not leave your defense an "out" or audible like we did vs K-state. You can't allow a mlb to cover a rb with no help like we did vs UV.

When the year began I made the same excuses but now those excuses are looking pretty lame.

Are you really taking singular games to extrapolate a general opinion? Are you really using the Maryland game where we played without over half of our defense as an example? Ok, here we go:

We allowed 6 points to Ohio State and basically shut them down.
Ohio State scored 27, 17 and 33 points against #14 Nebraska, #16 Illinois and #15 Wisconsin respectively.
According to your logic, we "coach up" our defenders better than all of those defenses/teams.
Illinois is ranked #6 overall in total defense. Wisconsin is ranked #11 overall in total defense.

Advertisement
Are you really taking singular games to extrapolate a general opinion? Are you really using the Maryland game where we played without over half of our defense as an example? Ok, here we go:

Ohio State scored 27, 17 and 33 points against #14 Nebraska, #16 Illinois and #15 Wisconsin respectively.
According to your logic, we "coach up" our defenders better than all of those defenses/teams.
Illinois is ranked #6 overall in total defense. Wisconsin is ranked #11 overall in total defense.

This is a wise man

Giving one game examples is lame. We held GTech to their lowest yardage output, must mean we have a better defense and gameplan then NCSt, Virginia, Clemson, Maryland, UNC. We held OhSt to 2nd lowest output, must mean we have a better D and gameplan then WI, Illinois, Nebraska.

In your 2nd paragraph you criticize him for playing 2 different types of defenses. You criticize him for playing zone and trying not to give up the big play. Then 2 sentences later you criticize him for bringing an all out blitz and getting beat playing man to man. I have no idea what you are referring to in the KState game.

It all come down to this, we can't get pressure with our front 4 and we have an awful secondary. If we blitz and don't get there the secondary has to make a play in coverage and that hasn't worked; VTech bomb, WR screen vs UVA, RB on Gaines vs UVA. 2 of those plays RayRay ran himself completely out of the play. If we play zone, we can't get pressure, you see alot of players blow their assignments and the QB picks us apart. I'm not saying D'Onfrio is perfect but he is stuck in a pretty bad situation.

Last edited:
Giving one game examples is lame. We held GTech to their lowest yardage output, must mean we have a better defense and gameplan then NCSt, Virginia, Clemson, Maryland, UNC. We held OhSt to 2nd lowest output, must mean we have a better D and gameplan then WI, Illinois, Nebraska.

In your 2nd paragraph you criticize him for playing 2 different types of defenses. You criticize him for playing zone and trying not to give up the big play. Then 2 sentences later you criticize him for bringing an all out blitz and getting beat playing man to man. I have no idea what you are referring to in the KState game.

It all come down to this, we can't get pressure with our front 4 and we have an awful secondary. If we blitz and don't get there the secondary has to make a play in coverage and that hasn't worked; VTech bomb, WR screen vs UVA, RB on Gaines vs UVA. 2 of those plays RayRay ran himself completely out of the play. If we play zone, we can't get pressure, you see alot of players blow their assignments and the QB picks us apart. I'm not saying D'Onfrio is perfect but he is stuck in a pretty bad situation.

This.

I could use Townson vs Maryland, Temple vs Maryland. Does Towson have better defensive personel than we do? Temple?

Showing scores of games doesn't tell the story. I could actually use your information to help support my point that personel isn't an issue just by looking at those scores. I can also assume that we have better defensive personel than Nebraska, Wisconsin and Illinois.

Your scores don't take into account the differnces in OSU's offense from then and now. We got up early on a one -demensional OSU offense with a true frosh starting QB.

Advertisement
I could use Townson vs Maryland, Temple vs Maryland. Does Towson have better defensive personel than we do? Temple?

Your scores don't take into account the differnces in OSU's offense from then and now. We got up early on a one -demensional OSU offense with a true frosh starting QB.

Are you trolling?

My scores don't take into account the differences in OSU's offense from then and now, but you use the Maryland example where we missed almost our entire defense?

Seriously?

Everybody keeps complaining about personel but when I watch other teams with worse personel perform better and come in with better defensive game plans the personel issue becomes an excuse. Sorry noy buying it.

Care to give some specifics? I'm mean just what would you do with a 5th string RB now at corner(Chambers),McGlost at the other corner,and a back up from Weak Florist as another corner. Throw in,for the most part, a non existent pass rush, LB's that can't cover slow TE's and safeties with no ball hawking skills.

I mean really what's a coach to do? Is Bellicheck all of a sudden a defensive idiot because the Pat's are dead las t in defense? Or does he have a talent issue? Can't have it both ways. You either have talent or you don't. Right now,on defense we have more questions than answers.

GT is another one-demensional team we got up early on forcing them to pass more than they liked. Coach d is pretty good at shutting down one-demsional teams.

You can play zone without having your db's line up at 10-15 and bail. You have no answer for that. Getting back to personel, why didn't Towson and all these other schools who played Maryland do the samething? Their personel is worse than ours. If we can't generate a pass rush when last year we had all these tfl's and sacks then there has to be a coaching issue on that side of the ball.

Playing man to man one thing but a mlb covering a rb? Not the samething and certainly has nothing to do with personel.

We showed out hands on those blitz's vs UV allowing their QB to assign protection.

Are you trolling?

My scores don't take into account the differences in OSU's offense from then and now, but you use the Maryland example where we missed almost our entire defense?

Seriously?

Umm, yea seriously. Our starting defensive lineup vs Maryland is still better than what BC and Towson had. You fail to take into account that our offense allowed 14 points vs Maryland so the suspension excuse doesn't apply to that game defensively. Even with the reinstated players our defense has looked like crap. Also, I've takin into account Marylands body of work for the entire season, not just cherry picking a game here or there.

Our defense consistantly gives up 400 yards plus to any non on-demensional offense. Doesn't matter whose playing.

Clemson gave up what? 45 points to Maryland? We gave up less with our back ups. Sorry but personel isn't an issue.

Advertisement
Umm, yea seriously. Our starting defensive lineup vs Maryland is still better than what BC and Towson had. You fail to take into account that our offense allowed 14 points vs Maryland so the suspension excuse doesn't apply to that game defensively. Even with the reinstated players our defense has looked like crap. Also, I've takin into account Marylands body of work for the entire season, not just cherry picking a game here or there.

Our defense consistantly gives up 400 yards plus to any non on-demensional offense. Doesn't matter whose playing.

Clemson gave up what? 45 points to Maryland? We gave up less with our back ups. Sorry but personel isn't an issue.

So, wait, our defense wasn't as bad against Maryland, but you cite it as an example that our defense (in comparison to what other teams have done) is bad?

The next time you offer a concrete, specific suggestion as to what you'd do with our defensive personnel will be the first.

If the O takes some pressure off the D, we will be fine. The backfield has to step up, and I definitely see Nicholas back at corner most of the game.

Advertisement
Care to give some specifics? I'm mean just what would you do with a 5th string RB now at corner(Chambers),McGlost at the other corner,and a back up from Weak Florist as another corner. Throw in,for the most part, a non existent pass rush, LB's that can't cover slow TE's and safeties with no ball hawking skills.

I mean really what's a coach to do? Is Bellicheck all of a sudden a defensive idiot because the Pat's are dead las t in defense? Or does he have a talent issue? Can't have it both ways. You either have talent or you don't. Right now,on defense we have more questions than answers.

Not to long ago we had 2 converted wr's playing cb. That excuse is lame.

That 5th string RB, McGlost and the Wake back up are better than what BC or Towson has.

Miami has alot of scaks last year and those same players look like clowns this year.

With Streeter and Harris it's coaching. With the entire defense it's lack of talent.

Not buying it.

Not to long ago we had 2 converted wr's playing cb. That excuse is lame.

That 5th string RB, McGlost and the Wake back up are better than what BC or Towson has.

Miami has alot of scaks last year and those same players look like clowns this year.

With Streeter and Harris it's coaching. With the entire defense it's lack of talent.

Not buying it.

What was our Dline rotation last year vs this year? What scheme change has taken place this vs last year?

So, wait, our defense wasn't as bad against Maryland, but you cite it as an example that our defense (in comparison to what other teams have done) is bad?

The next time you offer a concrete, specific suggestion as to what you'd do with our defensive personnel will be the first.

Did you think our defense looked great that game? We gave up over 500 yards of offense, took an entire half to adjust to their wr's screens, our DE's crashed down allowing Maryland to attack us on the perimeter, one play saw a DE (robinson) covering their rb downfield which would have been a TD if their RB doesn't drop the ball.

Our DB's didn't choose to line up 10-15 yards off and bail another 5 yards when the ball is snapped. Our DE's didn't choose to crash down they were TOLD to do that.

Did you think our defense looked great that game? We gave up over 500 yards of offense, took an entire half to adjust to their wr's screens, our DE's crashed down allowing Maryland to attack us on the perimeter, one play saw a DE (robinson) covering their rb downfield which would have been a TD if their RB doesn't drop the ball.

Our DB's didn't choose to line up 10-15 yards off and bail another 5 yards when the ball is snapped. Our DE's didn't choose to crash down they were TOLD to do that.

No, I think the defense looked awful. I expected it to look awful. You're just contradicting your points. But, nevermind.

You'll enjoy the article I put up later this week.

Advertisement
Back