LSU Looking to hire Blake Baker *Update* BAKER TO LSU

Advertisement
This isn’t a video game. Immediately firing your protégé and affecting his career prospects isn’t the great tone setting moment that people think. Like @DTP sais, these things have real implications. Publicly announcing that you’ll be calling plays after a search where he was clearly looking for another option is a strong signal to BB. Who wants to stick around in the lame duck year after the Hc attempts to replace them and neuters them publicly? Doing your guy a solid, allowing him to land on his feet in a respectable spot AND saving on his salary is a strong move.
It sends a message to "my guy" types that if I get in good, there will be a lighter touch when I fail to perform even at average levels.

It also sends a message to A+ gets, "come here and expect to be frustrated by at least one of" my guys"...

both are ways to run an organization....

Interesting - Andy Staples of The Athletic wrote a piece on Baker going to LSU last night. He says Baker is joining the staff there as "CO-DC/LB Coach. Maybe they did settle on that to justify the salary... They supposedly wanted him as an experienced playcaller for their new DC who has NO play calling experience
3rd and long, delayed safety blitz, gets em every time!

To be clear, Baker's departure whatever the circumstances is a Miami+.

With that said, this "Manuela playing 3D chess with an unseen hand" silliness is just that--silly.

Manuela missed a very important tone setting moment (similar to the O staff massacre after he returned as HC) by NOT releasing Baker immediately after the final whistle.

Unless of course he was trying to be humane by taking care of his guy--and by all acounts (keeping him on staff) would indicate that.

Manuela is lurching our Canes forwards-sideways.

You have no clue what happened and why yet you dismiss it as silly.

The reality is he just revamped the entire defensive room exactly where needed without having to pay a single dollar in buyouts or dead contracts owed.

If that’s not 4D chess I don’t know what it is. Just cause you’re incapable of acknowledging it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

You have no clue what happened and why yet you dismiss it as silly.

The reality is he just revamped the entire defensive room exactly where needed without having to pay a single dollar in buyouts or dead contracts owed.

If that’s not 4D chess I don’t know what it is. Just cause you’re incapable of acknowledging it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.
Up early today eh Ms Diaz?

I suspect I have the same clues you do.

I just read them better.

😁

Advertisement
We
This isn’t a video game. Immediately firing your protégé and affecting his career prospects isn’t the great tone setting moment that people think. Like @DTP sais, these things have real implications. Publicly announcing that you’ll be calling plays after a search where he was clearly looking for another option is a strong signal to BB. Who wants to stick around in the lame duck year after the Hc attempts to replace them and neuters them publicly? Doing your guy a solid, allowing him to land on his feet in a respectable spot AND saving on his salary is a strong move.
There are guys who have been around long enough to pull that off. Manny isn’t one of them. If he’s trying to build a reputation in coaching circles he’s got to show some loyalty. The same people who complain that nobody good wants to come work under Manny are also complaining he doesn’t fire everyone immediately. It’s just like any other business. Nobody wants to work for a company with some rookie CEO who throws everyone under the bus the first time there’s a problem.

Diaz continues to own the offseason.

Attaboy, Manny.
Regardless of how our season goes, Manny walks into every offseason like.....

77E852E4-ACE0-4342-8353-8316AD126C93.gif

Advertisement
Up early today eh Ms Diaz?

I suspect I have the same clues you do.

I just read them better.

😁

Lmao.

Manny just saved the school a million plus while upgrading every position of need. And as DTP wisely stated, he didn't slash and burn people in a way that can hurt him in the future when looking for other potential candidates.

Your Ms Diaz comment shows you don't have a leg to stand on. Just take your L and move on.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It never ceases to amaze me that some posters on this site are so dense that they think it's perfectly legitimate to criticize Diaz for not dumping both his entire offensive and defensive staff after his first season. Is it fair to criticize the initial hires? Yes, that's fair game. He's a rookie coach and made bad choices. Is it fair to criticize him for not having 100% turnover of the staff after year 1? No. That's a stupid criticism. He fixed the biggest problem first and then he moved on to the second part. 4 out of 5 coaches on defense now gone. So if my math is correct, that's 10 out of 11 new coaches between year one and year three. You can't fault the guy for trying to fix his mistakes.

And not firing Baker was plain good business. Not only did it turn out to be a financially savvy move and save the school hundreds of thousands of dollars, but other coaches take notice that Diaz does right by his people and tries to give them a chance to save face if things go bad.
I do this with my high mtc, low output employees when it gets to time to move them on. It's the right thing to do and not that hard. Pays huge dividends. Got called crazy in years 1-3 when I'd do that; now in year 6 and have reaped huge crooting rewards and rep for being a standup dude in the local industry.

Advertisement
Back