Loyola-Chicago (Who be them?)

Forget about talent, Miller isn’t in good enough condition to get serious burn.

As for Gak and Egbunu, Egbunu didn’t play against Loyola and Gak played less than 15 minutes. So again, 1 didn’t log a minute in the Loyola game and the other played little.

UF’s big men are Hayes and Stone. These are the ones that start and actually play.

You are correct I poorly worded my sentence. What I meant was: "UF has only 2 true bigs, but they suck( Gak and Ebgundu) who really don't get much playing time. Hayes and Stone however is the best center combo Loyola has faced all year. Most of the "bigs" in the mid major leagues are very undersized. If, however, Loyola played a better Center I highly doubt that was one of the three games in which he logged more rebounds/points. My main point is though that the Hayes/Stone combo is a poor man version of Huell/Izundu. " That is a rehash of my last comment since I did not convey my point accurately and I see why you thought I meant Gak and Egbunu were the bigs Florida played. In regards to Miller though I agree he is out of shape, but if he was the only true center on a team with an undersized center it may motivate him to get in shape because he could start. Even if Miller was in shape here he would not be a starter. He seems very lazy. Regardless we will never know if he would start on Loyola.

Advertisement
Hayes and Stone however is the best center combo Loyola has faced all year. Most of the "bigs" in the mid major leagues are very undersized. If, however, Loyola played a better Center I highly doubt that was one of the three games in which he logged more rebounds/points. My main point is though that the Hayes/Stone combo is a poor man version of Huell/Izundu. " That is a rehash of my last comment since I did not convey my point accurately and I see why you thought I meant Gak and Egbunu were the bigs Florida played.

Again, more hyperbole. UF doesn't have good big men. So playing well against them isn't an accomplishment. In addition, Krutwig played against better big men:

- Loudon Love at Wright State (Double-Double Guy as a True Freshman)
- Alize Johnson at Missouri State (Double-Double Guy) [Played against him twice]
- Phil Fayne at Illinois State (15.4 PPG and 7.4 RPG, 9 Double-Doubles last year) [Played against him three times]

You should know about Johnson and Fayne, since you claimed to watched those games.

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...issouri-state-basketball-rebounding-nba-draft
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/01/08/nba-draft-mid-major-prospects-watch-alize-johnson-mike-daum
http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

In regards to Miller though I agree he is out of shape, but if he was the only true center on a team with an undersized center it may motivate him to get in shape because he could start. Even if Miller was in shape here he would not be a starter. He seems very lazy. Regardless we will never know if he would start on Loyola.

Another pivot here. So he would motivate himself if he was on Loyola more than Miami? Interesting.

Nobody thinks he would start on Loyola besides you. You're correct though in that we would never truly know under this hypothetical, which you created, whether he would START for Loyola.

We agree that he is out of shape. I think it is safe to assume that an out of shape guy, who hardly plays here (both because of skills and physical limitations), would not start over Krutwig.

More Opinions...I like when they can't get the region right.

Matt Norlander

No. 6 Miami (Fla.) vs. No. 11 Loyola (Ill.)
Thursday, approx. 3:10 p.m. ET, truTV (streaming here)

REGION: West. If URI-Oklahoma lives up to the hype, then you'll have a quick turnaround for Hurricanes-Ramblers. Loyola's in the NCAAs for the first time since 1985. The Hurricanes have superior athletes and better length -- but Porter Moser's Ramblers have enough size to make this game close for 40 minutes. Feels like it could be decided in the low 60s. Miami freshman Lonnie Walker, who is almost certainly NBA bound this year, might be the difference-maker for Miami. Remember, Loyola already beat another team that's on the 6 line: it won at Florida back in December.

The pick: Loyola.

Myron Medcalf

The SEC won't send a team to the second weekend of the tournament
Let's walk through this: Davidson over Kentucky (see above). New Mexico State over Auburn in the second round (see above). The Loyola-Chicago team (40 percent from the 3-point line) that Tennessee will see in the second round has played above the expectations attached to its seed and will shock the world with a win over the Vols.

The double-digit seed will win every 6-11 matchup in the first round
Mark it down. Loyola-Chicago will contest shots around the rim and play an efficient game to beat Miami in the opening round. Remember, this is a Loyola-Chicago team that went to Florida and won, a squad with a defense ranked within the top 30 on KenPom.com.

Advertisement
SI Staff

MOST INTRIGUING MATCHUP: NO. 6 MIAMI VS. NO. 11 LOYOLA-CHICAGO
The Ramblers are everybody’s favorite Cinderella candidate, making their return to the Big Dance after a 33-year drought, but dismiss a Jim Larrañaga team at your own risk—you may recall Larrañaga knows a thing or two about plucky 11-seeds. The Hurricanes have a balanced lineup led by hyper-athletic freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV that has been hit-or-miss since sophomore Bruce Brown, the team’s most important player, suffered a stress fracture in his foot in late January. (Brown won’t play Thursday.) Their charge will be containing Missouri Valley Conference player of the year Clayton Custer, who needs to return to his regular-season form after a shaky MVC tournament.

Sporting News Mike DeCourcy

Best first-round game
No. 6 Miami (Fla.) vs. No. 11 Loyola (Ill.). This game will be a test of Loyola's excellent defense, which ranks 24th in efficiency and held Florida to 59 points in a non-conference victory. It's possible no team is better than Miami at isolating opposing defenders and preventing them from helping each other. The Hurricanes rank 265th in assist rate, because that's how they play it: their man vs. your man. Just try keeping Lonnie Walker or Chris Lykes out of the lane.

Sleeper team
Loyola (Ill.). The Ramblers obviously have a difficult game against Miami in the first round, and there may be no tougher team than Tennessee. But Loyola has shown it can play against high-level competition (that Florida win should get the Hurricanes' attention) and its variety of long-distance shot-makers could provide the right recipe for an upset or two.

Again, more hyperbole. UF doesn't have good big men. So playing well against them isn't an accomplishment. In addition, Krutwig played against better big men:

- Loudon Love at Wright State (Double-Double Guy as a True Freshman)
- Alize Johnson at Missouri State (Double-Double Guy) [Played against him twice]
- Phil Fayne at Illinois State (15.4 PPG and 7.4 RPG, 9 Double-Doubles last year) [Played against him three times]

You should know about Johnson and Fayne, since you claimed to watched those games.

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...issouri-state-basketball-rebounding-nba-draft
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/01/08/nba-draft-mid-major-prospects-watch-alize-johnson-mike-daum
http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

Another pivot here. So he would motivate himself if he was on Loyola more than Miami? Interesting.

Nobody thinks he would start on Loyola besides you. You're correct though in that we would never truly know under this hypothetical, which you created, whether he would START for Loyola.

We agree that he is out of shape. I think it is safe to assume that an out of shape guy, who hardly plays here (both because of skills and physical limitations), would not start over Krutwig.
Adding to this, they have a 7 footer that averages a few minutes a game, so it's not like they're desperate for any ****** center. They could play one if they wanted.

Ricky O'Donnell at SB Nation

South
Virginia has a tough region as the No. 1-overall seed. We’ll take the ‘Hoos over Creighton in the round of 32, then beating Arizona in the Sweet 16.

Loyola-Chicago is an upset winner in the first round over Miami. Arizona advances to the second round to play Loyola. The bottom half of the region comes down to Tennessee vs. Cincinnati, and we’ll take the Vols.

Mike Rutherford at SB Nation

Other notable picks here include Loyola-Chicago taking out Miami, and Texas making a surprise run to the Sweet 16. I don’t like that second prediction any more than you do, but at least one No. 2 seed has been knocked out during the tournament’s opening weekend in 20 of the last 21 years, so history says it’s gotta be somebody. Sorry, Cincinnati. Texas winning for Andrew Jones becomes the feel good story of the tourney’s first weekend.

Adding to this, they have a 7 footer that averages a few minutes a game, so it's not like they're desperate for any ****** center. They could play one if they wanted.

Can you name one team in the NCAAT where Rodney Miller would start?

Forget about if there is a team that needs his services, he is physically limited by his weight. He is not in condition to play a lot of minutes. His season high (minutes wise) is 6.

He played 6 minutes in the 3rd game of that Hawaii Tourney. He also played 6 minutes against FAMU (and that was a blowout). He didn't log a play in 16 games this season.

Advertisement

Sam first one in. Always have 2 of the bigs in the game . Miller has been playing better lately BTW

Stop with all the substitutions it hurts us defensively.

Ricky O'Donnell at SB Nation

South
Virginia has a tough region as the No. 1-overall seed. We’ll take the ‘Hoos over Creighton in the round of 32, then beating Arizona in the Sweet 16.

Loyola-Chicago is an upset winner in the first round over Miami. Arizona advances to the second round to play Loyola. The bottom half of the region comes down to Tennessee vs. Cincinnati, and we’ll take the Vols.

Mike Rutherford at SB Nation

Other notable picks here include Loyola-Chicago taking out Miami, and Texas making a surprise run to the Sweet 16. I don’t like that second prediction any more than you do, but at least one No. 2 seed has been knocked out during the tournament’s opening weekend in 20 of the last 21 years, so history says it’s gotta be somebody. Sorry, Cincinnati. Texas winning for Andrew Jones becomes the feel good story of the tourney’s first weekend.
OK so the first guy says Arizona plays Loyola in the 2nd round. Not possible. Arizona would play either Kentucky or Davidson in round 2. He says in the bottom half its cincy vs Tenn but that means Tenn beats Loyola to get to play cincy lol. Smart guy right there.

I'm hoping all these Loyola picks from the national media will have Miami come out with a lot of energy and pride. I haven't watched Loyola play but they sound like a dangerous team. I think we struggle most with teams that are long and athletic and it sure sounds like we have the length and athletic advantage so that is a huge plus. I also think we are more battle tested than Loyola. We know how to win close games and we don't get blown out so this should really help us late. We need to pass the ball and attack the basket at will. We also need to get Huell and Izundu the ball down low and get their big man in trouble. If we can find a way to get through this game then we have some winnable games after.

When I lived in Chicago, I lived one stop on the red line from the Loyola stop. UGLY FEMALES at that school.

Advertisement
Okay so you have a valid argument as to why Miami isn't God awful against the 3. But if you watch them you can see that they leave so many guys so wide open. So no one is there to defend the 3 pt shot. Teams are just missing wide open shots vs us.

Stop it. We're one of the better teams in the nation and the ACC in 3 point % defense, and it's not because teams are missing wide open shots. You watch Miami play and are upset when teams make 3s, that's why it seems like we're bad. Teams are shooting 32.6% against us. Miami is shooting 36.3% and 36.6% in ACC play. This is just a tired argument because it's upsetting when teams make 3s. 40 out of what? 350 teams?

So, what I learned from reading this thread.

We're either losing in the first round or winning the national title
3 of the 4 pages were a fight between 2 posters, like most threads on here
Loyola is made up of a bunch of short white Jesuit virgins who can shoot the 3

So, what I learned from reading this thread.

We're either losing in the first round or winning the national title
3 of the 4 pages were a fight between 2 posters, like most threads on here
Loyola is made up of a bunch of short white Jesuit virgins who can shoot the 3
Not one person said winning national title. Learn to read. Some experts if you wanna call them that... Picked Miami to the elite 8. But let's be real.. Not happening.

Advertisement
Can you name one team in the NCAAT where Rodney Miller would start?

Forget about if there is a team that needs his services, he is physically limited by his weight. He is not in condition to play a lot of minutes. His season high (minutes wise) is 6.

He played 6 minutes in the 3rd game of that Hawaii Tourney. He also played 6 minutes against FAMU (and that was a blowout). He didn't log a play in 16 games this season.
Nope haha. He's just too slow.

Not saying we are definitely going to win. As we’ve all seen us play stretches of terrible basketball.

But...

This Loyola team has played exactly 2 teams in the rpi top 80

The Florida win (rpi 46)

And a 34 point loss to Boise state (rpi 49)

They also lost by 18 to rpi #231 wisky-milw

And lost to 3 other 100+ rpi teams

We also made more 3’s then they did this year.

And the were dead last in their ****** conference in rebounding.

We should not lose this game

Not saying we are definitely going to win. As we’ve all seen us play stretches of terrible basketball.

But...

This Loyola team has played exactly 2 teams in the rpi top 80

The Florida win (rpi 46)

And a 34 point loss to Boise state (rpi 49)

They also lost by 18 to rpi #231 wisky-milw

And lost to 3 other 100+ rpi teams

We also made more 3’s then they did this year.

And the were dead last in their ****** conference in rebounding.

We should not lose this game

It is 100% on us. I am not concerned with them at all.

Are we going to be motivated? Are we going to come out flat?

Are we going to use our athletes and take advantage of obvious mismatches?

With that said, according to the media, we're playing the best team ever. Probably would beat the Warriors last year.

Advertisement
Back