Louisville

If you don’t understand leaving Van Belle in too long changed the momentum of the game idk what to tell you. If we give up a couple less runs and that inning doesn’t last a decade we are still in control. We fell flat after that and it had everything to do with being out there standing around for so long. No too mention Federman getting up in the pen 4 times previously then having to rush to get ready. DiMare blew it today

Nah. And if he pulls Van Belle early, then you ***** about that. Because they hit both Federman and Veliz like they were mediocre relievers, Federman especially.

Advertisement
It's disappointing to lose Game 3 the way we did.

But Louisville is a top-5 team. It's delusional to expect to win a road series vs them.

They hit our best pitching in Game 3. That's what an elite team does.

just wondering when we are back to being elite.

I don't think its delusional to expect less blunders and incompetent management at times.

Its one thing if we are playing a squad that runs us out of the stadium on sheer talent game after game...but that's not happening. We spent a Saturday in Louisville making a blow out game a lot closer on delay, and then blowing a 6-0 lead in the next.

I'm not going to bow down to the #5 squad after they honestly gave us an opportunity to sweep them on their turf, we just didn't take it. Not saying they are not a great squad, just saying we could be MUCH better than we are...that is the truly painful part. The scary part is thinking how these kids getting older might not fix our major issues such as fundamentals and coaching....

UM

this. EXACTLY

it's what the apologists don't want to acknowledge.

we have serious issues that aren't a function of youth. that's what's concerning and problematic.

The fact that they hit your best relievers later in the game is irrelevant to the decision in the moment. You don't have that information at the time.

I am not basing my opinion on the job DiMare has done on that one moment, but rather a collection of moments over the course of the season. He's done great things that are not managerial in-game decisions this year, so it is admittedly too soon to call for him to go, but he leaves a lot to be desired from a win-percentage standpoint with in-game decisions. This is his first year doing it, so hopefully he will improve in those areas.

Baseball is one of those sports where second-guessing is all part of it and you will have people fall on both sides of the argument. I will remain steadfast in my belief that game situation calls for you to change the way you're managing the game to give your team the best chance to win and the best chance to win for this team today was to be quick to pull your starter once they got out to a 6-0 lead and you have a rested bullpen.

For me, it's all about maximizing your chances to win (win probability). Even changing your percentages 1-2% can be a big deal in a game like that one. The season is still going well and they are headed towards a return to a Regional with a real chance to win one if they get their arms healthy.

Calling for DiMare to go is spitting in the wind. He can't be fired. Ever.

Regardless, the only pitcher we have with the stuff to stifle an elite team like Louisville is Veliz, when he's not wild. The rest of the staff (perhaps aside from a healthy McMahon) will be hit. Pulling Van Belle earlier would not have changed the outcome of the game. Winning 1 game in Louisville was what we needed to do. We match up well with the remainder of the schedule, and have a decent shot at locking down a host.

Advertisement
No, Louisville just knocked around our pitching today.

Also, they did strive for more and almost got it.

On the road.

Against the first place team.

In terrible weather.

Of course you can't name a single coaching issue.

You just assume it.

How has age and experience done for Zamora, Toral and Gil so far?

Holy ****, another brand new poster to the rescue.

I am speaking to more than just what happened in Louisville, in the rain. You clearly are living in a one game vacuum.

If you can't put your pom poms down for a few innings and not see that there have been poor fielding fundamentals (again) this year and quite a few games where it just didn't seem Dimare was exactly what he was doing in pitcher management, line up, etc....there is no help.

I am happy that this squad has "improved" from last year...that SHOULD be expected with such a young squad gaining 12 months.

EVERYONE assumed the worst this weekend and the weather may have been the great equalizer...who knows.

All that said, I will never make excuses and cheer moral victories for blowing a 6-0 lead or giving up 6-7 runs in a 10+ run blow out..just because "we could"...that is not the mentality I want any Canes team to take...it is "emotionally weak"..

UM

Calling for DiMare to go is spitting in the wind. He can't be fired. Ever.

Regardless, the only pitcher we have with the stuff to stifle an elite team like Louisville is Veliz, when he's not wild. The rest of the staff (perhaps aside from a healthy McMahon) will be hit. Pulling Van Belle earlier would not have changed the outcome of the game. Winning 1 game in Louisville was what we needed to do. We match up well with the remainder of the schedule, and have a decent shot at locking down a host.

Agreed. This team is 11 wins better than it was at this point last year with an entire underclassmen starting lineup. Regardless of who his father is no AD in the country would fire him in the same scenario.

Assuming McKendry and McMahon are not available this weekend I'd expect Veliz to get the nod with Slade and BVB. Keysor on Wed against FIU.

Nah. And if he pulls Van Belle early, then you ***** about that. Because they hit both Federman and Veliz like they were mediocre relievers, Federman especially.

Lmao yea ok. Hindsight is always 20/20. You have no idea how Federman and Veliz are gonna be before they touch the mound. Your argument makes no sense.

The real coach yesterday went to his closer earlier than most people would have and it worked for him. He made the real move DiMare was afraid to make

Advertisement
Should people not be?

You're asking if it's okay for people to be excited that we're finally going to make the tournament again? Sure. Buy some champagne. I think a lot of us tend to look at it a different way. Like, thank you for finally returning to the minimum standard at Miami after your two year period of gross incompetence.

The fact that they hit your best relievers later in the game is irrelevant to the decision in the moment. You don't have that information at the time.

I am not basing my opinion on the job DiMare has done on that one moment, but rather a collection of moments over the course of the season. He's done great things that are not managerial in-game decisions this year, so it is admittedly too soon to call for him to go, but he leaves a lot to be desired from a win-percentage standpoint with in-game decisions. This is his first year doing it, so hopefully he will improve in those areas.

Baseball is one of those sports where second-guessing is all part of it and you will have people fall on both sides of the argument. I will remain steadfast in my belief that game situation calls for you to change the way you're managing the game to give your team the best chance to win and the best chance to win for this team today was to be quick to pull your starter once they got out to a 6-0 lead and you have a rested bullpen.

For me, it's all about maximizing your chances to win (win probability). Even changing your percentages 1-2% can be a big deal in a game like that one. The season is still going well and they are headed towards a return to a Regional with a real chance to win one if they get their arms healthy.

That's fine. But you criticized DiMare for not coaching to a 6-7 inning game. Which seems strange since that game was never going to be called, especially when Louisville was behind and the weather not getting worse.

The game went 9 innings, so if you pull Van Belle that early, that means Federman and Veliz cant go the distance, because you're not getting 6+ out of those 2. They havent done that at all this year.

So which bullpen guy is finishing the game out, because it wouldnt be Keysor (threw 3 the day before) or anyone that pitched earlier in the day?

Had there been no earlier game and you had Mixon also available, then yeah I'd agree he should have had a quick hook.

Advertisement
That's fine. But you criticized DiMare for not coaching to a 6-7 inning game. Which seems strange since that game was never going to be called, especially when Louisville was behind and the weather not getting worse.

The game went 9 innings, so if you pull Van Belle that early, that means Federman and Veliz cant go the distance, because you're not getting 6+ out of those 2. They havent done that at all this year.

So which bullpen guy is finishing the game out, because it wouldnt be Keysor (threw 3 the day before) or anyone that pitched earlier in the day?

Had there been no earlier game and you had Mixon also available, then yeah I'd agree he should have had a quick hook.

Belle out there than Cook, Ruiz, or Gates

Three years into the rebuild, we have two bullpen guys we're even willing to go to, and even they are scary.

Advertisement
this. EXACTLY

it's what the apologists don't want to acknowledge.

we have serious issues that aren't a function of youth. that's what's concerning and problematic.

Such as? We suck at fielding, but that can get fixed next year largely just by moving Zamora to OF. We lead the ACC in hitting and are 3rd in pitching.

You dont really seem to know much about baseball. We're #14 in the RPI. Not bad for by far the youngest team in the ACC.

Such as? We suck at fielding, but that can get fixed next year largely just by moving Zamora to OF. We lead the ACC in hitting and are 3rd in pitching.

You dont really seem to know much about baseball. We're #14 in the RPI. Not bad for by far the youngest team in the ACC.

This is so much like 2009-2014 that it's scary. "We're fine". Until we weren't, even though we told you about the decline in quality.

Advertisement
Back