Louisville coach talking about playing us

Advertisement
Advertisement
Didnt see this posted yet. Coach talks about defending us and breaks down positions too.

ED615889-62B2-4B77-8A3C-D9232A9DF40B.jpeg

Step forward. Bear your shame like a man.

Advertisement
We won it last year.

We’ve won every marquee matchup sans UF of the last two years, and we should’ve won that game. It’s the **** ants that trip us up.

Last year just felt like ten.
What big road game against a quality opponent have we won recently, last couple of years? Maybe we have, I sure can't remember any(don't say FSU, they've been awful).

I'm not sold on our defense, LBers and CBs especially. We will see, though.
This. Go rewatch the UAB game and focus on the LB corps. That performance by McCloud was one for the ages. For being terrible that is. He seemed to be completely lost for most of the game. I don't know what was up with him but it was not exactly encouraging. Jennings was ok. Nothing special but not terrible. Steed was a non factor. With any of those 3 in the game we have no lateral quickness or speed and we cannot seal the edge. We just can't get there in time. Brooks always stands out because of his tremendous speed. How does Avery Huff go the entire game without a single snap on defense in a home opener vs a G5 school?

To me there is absolutely nothing to be gained by having McCloud, Jennings and Steed play most of the snaps. Give Brooks as many snaps as possible so the kid can have the chance to get into his groove. He needs to play as much as possible and so does Huff. He's not going to get any better sitting on the bench. You have Baker and Diaz coaching LBs in addition to Patke yet this position group is consistently among the worst coached as players seem to develop very little one year to the next. I'm not even going to get into the CBs as that has been discussed ad nauseam. The thing that concerns me is that we may begin to see evidence that the play of our Safeties has been in decline since Baker was hired. I've heard many lump Diaz and Baker together but the reality is that Diaz as a DC is significantly better than Baker and I'm being nice to Baker stating it that way.

Advertisement
This. Go rewatch the UAB game and focus on the LB corps. That performance by McCloud was one for the ages. For being terrible that is. He seemed to be completely lost for most of the game. I don't know what was up with him but it was not exactly encouraging. Jennings was ok. Nothing special but not terrible. Steed was a non factor. With any of those 3 in the game we have no lateral quickness or speed and we cannot seal the edge. We just can't get there in time. Brooks always stands out because of his tremendous speed. How does Avery Huff go the entire game without a single snap on defense in a home opener vs a G5 school?

To me there is absolutely nothing to be gained by having McCloud, Jennings and Steed play most of the snaps. Give Brooks as many snaps as possible so the kid can have the chance to get into his groove. He needs to play as much as possible and so does Huff. He's not going to get any better sitting on the bench. You have Baker and Diaz coaching LBs in addition to Patke yet this position group is consistently among the worst coached as players seem to develop very little one year to the next. I'm not even going to get into the CBs as that has been discussed ad nauseam. The thing that concerns me is that we may begin to see evidence that the play of our Safeties has been in decline since Baker was hired. I've heard many lump Diaz and Baker together but the reality is that Diaz as a DC is significantly better than Baker and I'm being nice to Baker stating it this way.
I've been saying McCloud has no business playing for Miami forever, of course I was attacked by the sunshine pumpers for it. I was of course proven right last Thursday, watch how bad UL's speed on offense makes him look.

I've been saying McCloud has no business playing for Miami forever, of course I was attacked by the sunshine pumpers for it. I was of course proven right last Thursday, watch how bad UL's speed on offense makes him look.
That's another potential matchup nightmare and a huge concern going in to the UL game. We need speed at LB. We need Brooks on the field in this game. This upperclassmen LB group makes me long for the days of Rod Mack, Michael Smith, Antonio Coley and Cliff Jackson.

Advertisement
I’m sure they’ll get some explosives, but we’ll get our share of TFLs and havoc plays.

I think we win something like 38-31

As much as we complain about our defense, it’s been solid since Manny took over.

It’s like people have forgetten the “500 Club” days of Golden and D’Onofrio where it was a struggle to keep teams under 500 yards of offense.

Louisville’s defense is objectively worse than ours, and we enough talent to make them pay.

To me there is absolutely nothing to be gained by having McCloud, Jennings and Steed play most of the snaps. Give Brooks as many snaps as possible so the kid can have the chance to get into his groove. He needs to play as much as possible and so does Huff. He's not going to get any better sitting on the bench. You have Baker and Diaz coaching LBs in addition to Patke yet this position group is consistently among the worst coached as players seem to develop very little one year to the next. I'm not even going to get into the CBs as that has been discussed ad nauseam. The thing that concerns me is that we may begin to see evidence that the play of our Safeties has been in decline since Baker was hired. I've heard many lump Diaz and Baker together but the reality is that Diaz as a DC is significantly better than Baker and I'm being nice to Baker stating it that way.
Ragone got snaps tho! I was watching any old tape I could find with DIaz against outside zone teams and watched both App st and NCST 2016, Its crazy to see Pickney and Quaterman look better early in their career than later, like the coaching after 4 years didnt do anything even mccloud didnt look as bad as last week. Really weird to see. Also the defense looked better overall, not sure how with all manny players we have taken a step back. Its one of those situations where the coach becomes head coach and his unit suffers even tho he is on staff so he might have to come back even if he wants to be hands off..

Happened last year when he said the defense has to "look" like a miami hurricane defense so he basically had to get back in the kitchen..

Advertisement
Back