Looking back at Auburn 2012 vs 2013

Advertisement
In 2012, Auburn finished 3-9 and 0-8 in the SEC. By seasons end, Gene Chizik and offense coordinator Scot Loeffler (pro-style) were let go. In 2013, Auburn had one of the greatest turnarounds in college football history with Gus Malzahn as the head coach and Rhett Lashlee as offensive coordinator. They finished 12-2 and lost the National championship in the final seconds. The biggest difference from 2012 to 2013 was the drastic changes made to the offensive system and the QB Nick Marshall taking over for Kiehl Frazier (also a highly touted QB).

Looking back at Auburn's turnaround doesn't guarantee Miami will have the same results, but this is a perfect example of how possible it is given that the changes made on offense are nearly identical.

Auburn didn’t have the worst OL in the nation..

Auburn didn’t have the worst OL in the nation..

Our 2 backs averaged 5.42 YPC on designed runs this year.....can't do that behind the worst OL in the nation.

Also have to think that, although no one should expect a dominant line, with literally every single kid that took a snap back this year, they'll be at worst somewhat improved from last year. And add Cleveland Reed back, potentially a kid like El-Gammal or Traore taking a step forward......there are potential options here.

I'm not going to go to bat for the OL performance last year, but another year in the weight room/being developed and also in a scheme that might actually help the kids rather than expose them, I expect a lot better OL performance. Miami will not have the worst OL in the nation.

I had a discussion with my buddy last year about the difference between great, good, mediocre and bad teams. Great teams pound pretty much all their opponents. They may need an occasional “luck” play but for the most part, they’re just beating the other guy heads up. There’s usually only a small handful of great teams every year. Like maybe five or six at the most. The difference between “good” teams and “mediocre” teams is less pronounced. It could be as simple as a lucky bounce or two. Maybe one team has a particularly reliable kicker, or they have a penchant for pulling off miracle, last second drives. **** some teams finish with good records even though they’re statistically average simply because they don’t turn the ball over and/or force a lot of turnovers. Often times the difference between 10 wins and 7 wins is just a small handful of events.

100% agree that you need to catch some breaks, the comeback against Miss St and A&M shouldn't be called "miracles". The whole point of my post wasn't about how close some of their games were, its about the drastic improvement on offense from the previous season with a new scheme and QB.

Bama & GA were miracle type games. Miss St & Tex AM plus 1 or 2 other games were just close games they were able to pull out. But to have 5 or 6 games all fall your way like that in one season - that makes it a miracle type season as a whole.

I'm in total agreement with you that getting a good new OC that runs a spread + a QB who seems to be a perfect fit for that system + a soft schedule means a big turnaround is very possible. I'm just thinking more like going from 6 wins to 9-10 wins. To go from 6 to 11-12 wins - I think we'd need a huge amount of luck to fall our way.

Advertisement
I'm a big buyer on Lashlee, always have been, he was in my top 2 OC's thread before we even fired Enox.

I'm buying big on this season, I 100% believe we're turning it around this year, winning 10 games & the coastal.

The thing that has me the most convinced about Lash is he's taking the uptempo rushing offense from Malzahn & combining it with the Air Raid passing concepts from Sonny Dykes, so basically we'll have the Arkansas/Auburn run game with the SMU Air Raid pass game, to me that's exactly the offensive style that fits our personnel, it's basically the same thing that Lincoln Riley & Josh Heupel run at Oklahoma & UCF.

The emphasis is tempo in both the run game & passing game, stretch the Defense out with wide splits & force LB's/S's to show their hand pre snap, because just based on alignments alone if Defenses try to disguise coverages they'll get caught looking in the backfield & will have a WR streaking past them running down the hashes for 6.

I still hope we use that final scholly on a Grad LT, that's the only thing that still has me somewhat concerned, I think OL play will be significantly improved due to this offense not forcing our OL to hold blocks for 5/7 step drops, or trying to be a power run team & also because Garin Justice is a **** good coach that comes from the Trickett West Va run scheme which was one of the best in the game, but I'm just not sold on Zion being a legit LT in the long term for us, there were just so many plays where he got beat as soon as the ball was snapped it was pretty clear to me he had no business being out there & should've redshirted.

If Coach Justice can get Zion right then he deserves a million dollar raise & should be the permanent OL coach for this team for the next decade.

But, the added Zone read option element to this Uptempo offense with an electric dynamic talent like King is what has me most excited. Lashlee is a play caller that understands how to confuse defenses & scheme up big chunk yard plays & he did that with a moderately mobile QB in Shane Buechele, imagine what he'll do with a QB that has a big Deep ball arm & legit 4.4 speed... It has the potential to be what you saw from Lamar at Louisville & what you saw from Jalen Hurts at Oklahoma, the run lanes will be opened up in the middle of the field just off the hesitation by Defenders unsure of whose got the ball, which will draw those Safeties down & give our WR's one on ones on the outside.

Idc if I'm buying too high in Pre-Spring lol, nothing anybody can tell me will convince me we're not winning this year.

In 2012, Auburn finished 3-9 and 0-8 in the SEC. By seasons end, Gene Chizik and offense coordinator Scot Loeffler (pro-style) were let go. In 2013, Auburn had one of the greatest turnarounds in college football history with Gus Malzahn as the head coach and Rhett Lashlee as offensive coordinator. They finished 12-2 and lost the National championship in the final seconds. The biggest difference from 2012 to 2013 was the drastic changes made to the offensive system and the QB Nick Marshall taking over for Kiehl Frazier (also a highly touted QB).

Looking back at Auburn's turnaround doesn't guarantee Miami will have the same results, but this is a perfect example of how possible it is given that the changes made on offense are nearly identical.
According to NCAA, in 2013, their offence was ranked 115. Their offensive must have not been that good.

Advertisement
Reading about SMU's offense and watching a little tape, there was a lot more Air Raid than the stuff Auburn was running, especially at that time. I don't see a ton of long developing power runs with pre-snap motions and veer all over the place in the SMU tape.

At SMU, you really see Dykes philosophy of lightning fast tempo, and finding ways to get WR's isolated in coverage and taking shots down the field, A LOT of them. The run scheme is pretty simple. I don't mind that anyway, I haven't watched a ton of Auburn lately but a couple Auburn buddies that I trust seem to think Malzahn's power running style's been caught up to and they're pumped about the Morris edition after wanting Malzahn gone.

Last edited:
According to NCAA, in 2013, their offence was ranked 115. Their offensive must have not been that good.
They scored 40 or more in 6 games, 30 or more in 12 games, and scored over 20 in the other 2.

*And as a team they ran for 4598 yards with a 6.3 ypc and 48 Tds. Clearly you were looking at their passing rankings.

Last edited:
Chizik had success in 2010 because of Cam Newton and Malzahn was the offensive coordinator. 2012 was a train wreck and they got obliterated in a lot of games. There is no reason to believe he would have turned them around.
Malzahn hasn't been much better. He hit lightning in a bottle his 1st season and has become an 8 win coach most seasons. He scapegoated Lashlee out to keep his job.

Dude had a better version of Marshall in 14 and a 1600 yard back but did worse. With no Marshall and no Payne. These 2 genius managed to go 7-6 their 3rd year.

As i stated. Auburn does good when they're suppose to suck and suck when they're suppose to be good. Every single coach that has been there. Is on the chopping block the moment he is hired. I didn't say Chizik would've won no questions asked. I said may have won, but Auburn coaches don't last. That also spits on your argument for Lashlee.

With this new offense, I'm assuming we're not gonna see a lot of PA Pass?
We will, it'll just be Play action out of the Gun where the QB sticks the ball in the RB's chest to freeze up the LB's & Safeties reading him & then based on the coverages (if the LB drops in depth or if he bites down on the ball fake) King will snatch it down & hit a TE or WR in full stride running down the seams.

We won't be running the old school Pro style bro 5-7 step drop PA's where the QB has to turn his back to the defense & worry about a DE being in his face in the backfield as soon as he turns around lol.

Advertisement
Malzahn hasn't been much better. He hit lightning in a bottle his 1st season and has become an 8 win coach most seasons. He scapegoated Lashlee out to keep his job.

Dude had a better version of Marshall in 14 and a 1600 yard back but did worse. With no Marshall and no Payne. These 2 genius managed to go 7-6 their 3rd year.

As i stated. Auburn does good when they're suppose to suck and suck when they're suppose to be good. Every single coach that has been there. Is on the chopping block the moment he is hired. I didn't say Chizik would've won no questions asked. I said may have won, but Auburn coaches don't last. That also spits on your argument for Lashlee.
Malzahn does much better when he has a QB that can run his system. In 2014, they had Jeremy Johnson and Sean White, so how is that better? Johnson was a huge bust and White can't run. The whole point of my OP was to show what a difference a year makes with a better offensive system and QB who can execute it. But go ahead and keep bringing up everything else you can.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE

Sometimes its things you thought would never happen

Let's just hope the impossible are things that we like this year

Malzahn does much better when he has a QB that can run his system. In 2014, they had Jeremy Johnson and Sean White, so how is that better? Johnson was a huge bust and White can't run. The whole point of my OP was to show what a difference a year makes with a better offensive system and QB who can execute it. But go ahead and keep bringing up everything else you can.
Well how many years does he need to find a QB to fit his system? It isn't a better offensive system if the only reason it is good is because of 2 CC QB. The same system and same QB netted him a 8-5 record the following year. 3 years in this guru can't have a replacement?

Advertisement
It took some lucky bounces and good fortune for Auburn to win all those games for sure. But if you look beyond that, to me the most important thing is how that offense got steadily better as the season progressed. By game 5 they were putting up monster numbers and their season took off from there.

If we can follow that same pattern the W's will take care of themselves.

Well how many years does he need to find a QB to fit his system? It isn't a better offensive system if the only reason it is good is because of 2 CC QB. The same system and same QB netted him a 8-5 record the following year. 3 years in this guru can't have a replacement?

The bust/transfer rate for QBs at the higher levels of college football are astronomical. It's not that easy to do. Read this article not long ago:

The Athletic studied the careers of the top 50 high school quarterbacks who signed with FBS programs in the recruiting classes of 2014 through 2017 because those signees have all been in college for at least three years. So far, 57 percent of those QBs have transferred from the school they initially signed with. And that percentage will likely increase during this offseason.

For blue-chip quarterbacks like Alabama commit Bryce Young and Clemson commit DJ Uiagalelei, the ideal they’re hoping for is to earn a chance to start at some point in their first two years on campus and never have to put their names in the NCAA transfer portal. But that dream only came true for about 20 percent of the QBs in the classes of 2014-2017.

Based on these recent classes, if a top-50 QB signee doesn’t start one game in his first two years on campus, there’s an almost 75 percent chance he’ll end up leaving the program. And even if he does make a start in the first two years, there’s a nearly 45 percent chance he’ll still end up transferring. This is where college football is now.

Did we hire Gene?

Advertisement
Back