Looking back at Auburn 2012 vs 2013

CanesDynasty

Recruit
In 2012, Auburn finished 3-9 and 0-8 in the SEC. By seasons end, Gene Chizik and offense coordinator Scot Loeffler (pro-style) were let go. In 2013, Auburn had one of the greatest turnarounds in college football history with Gus Malzahn as the head coach and Rhett Lashlee as offensive coordinator. They finished 12-2 and lost the National championship in the final seconds. The biggest difference from 2012 to 2013 was the drastic changes made to the offensive system and the QB Nick Marshall taking over for Kiehl Frazier (also a highly touted QB).

Looking back at Auburn's turnaround doesn't guarantee Miami will have the same results, but this is a perfect example of how possible it is given that the changes made on offense are nearly identical.

Advertisement
It's very possible. As bad as we looked last year, we were basically in every game that we lost - except La Tech.

And the schedule looks even weaker this year. If there was a year for a big swing in wins, this would be it. Of course, I said the same thing last year.

But that was also a miracle Auburn team. They were just pulling late comeback wins out of their *** all year in 2013. They had so much luck that year.

It's very possible. As bad as we looked last year, we were basically in every game that we lost - except La Tech.

And the schedule looks even weaker this year. If there was a year for a big swing in wins, this would be it. Of course, I said the same thing last year.

But that was also a miracle Auburn team. They were just pulling late comeback wins out of their *** all year in 2013. They had so much luck that year.
I recall them pulling off 2 miracles, the tipped pass to Ricardo Louis against Georgia and the 100 yd return on a missed FG against Bama, but the game was tied when Bama attempted the FG, so it was going to OT if its not returned... so it wasn't all year.

Advertisement
In 2012, Auburn finished 3-9 and 0-8 in the SEC. By seasons end, Gene Chizik and offense coordinator Scot Loeffler (pro-style) were let go. In 2013, Auburn had one of the greatest turnarounds in college football history with Gus Malzahn as the head coach and Rhett Lashlee as offensive coordinator. They finished 12-2 and lost the National championship in the final seconds. The biggest difference from 2012 to 2013 was the drastic changes made to the offensive system and the QB Nick Marshall taking over for Kiehl Frazier (also a highly touted QB).

Looking back at Auburn's turnaround doesn't guarantee Miami will have the same results, but this is a perfect example of how possible it is given that the changes made on offense are nearly identical.
Pretty **** Good Post for it being #70....In CIS terms that should make you a Shoo-in for the Pulitzer....

IDK if you can really take much from his time at Auburn. That program is a teeter-totter. Chizik given another year. May have done the same.

Auburn is great when their suppose to be avg and avg when their suppose to be great.
Chizik had success in 2010 because of Cam Newton and Malzahn was the offensive coordinator. 2012 was a train wreck and they got obliterated in a lot of games. There is no reason to believe he would have turned them around.

201508_0823_cdiai_sm.jpg

Advertisement

That game was 7-0 until late in the 4th quarter. I know it looked like the offense wasn’t going to get a first down, let alone a touchdown but there was still the outside shot at a defensive or special teams touchdown.

As an AU grad that was a magical season. With that said, that was one of those years where almost everything went right. That team COULD have lost about 6 games during the season (not including the FSU game). We could duplicate that, but it's highly unlikely. **** Malzahn hasn't been able to duplicate that. Since that first season where he only had two losses, he's lost at least 4 every single year since then. Again, that was just a crazy season.

I recall them pulling off 2 miracles, the tipped pass to Ricardo Louis against Georgia and the 100 yd return on a missed FG against Bama, but the game was tied when Bama attempted the FG, so it was going to OT if its not returned... so it wasn't all year.

I'm a fan of Mahlzahn & Lashlee - so I'm not bashing them. You have to be a good team to be in it at the end, and good to actually pull out the win.

But that Auburn team had

Miss St. - 88 yd TD drive with 2 minutes left to win by 4
Tex A&M - 75 yd TD drive with 4 minutes left to win by 4
Georgia - the tipped hail mary to win at the end of the game
Alabama - Yes the 100 yd missed fg return at the end of the game. But also Alabama missed 2 other FG's in the 4th quarter and didn't convert a 4th & 1 at the Auburn 13 in the 4th (because they couldn't trust their kicker). Alabama had so many chances to put that game away and couldn't.

But like Miami in 2017 where Darrell Langham pulled off 2 huge plays in the final seconds vs FSU & GT to win the game - you just need some luck sometimes.

The opener against Washington St was a nail biter as well. That season could have been drastically different.

Advertisement
I'm a fan of Mahlzahn & Lashlee - so I'm not bashing them. You have to be a good team to be in it at the end, and good to actually pull out the win.

But that Auburn team had

Alabama - Yes the 100 yd missed fg return at the end of the game. But also Alabama missed 2 other FG's in the 4th quarter and didn't convert a 4th & 1 at the Auburn 13 in the 4th (because they couldn't trust their kicker). Alabama had so many chances to put that game away and couldn't.

But like Miami in 2017 where Darrell Langham pulled off 2 huge plays in the final seconds vs FSU & GT to win the game - you just need some luck sometimes.

they also had something like 20 seniors starting that year too, it was absurd

But that Auburn team had

100% agree that you need to catch some breaks, the comeback against Miss St and A&M shouldn't be called "miracles". The whole point of my post wasn't about how close some of their games were, its about the drastic improvement on offense from the previous season with a new scheme and QB.

Advertisement

But that Auburn team had

Referencing the game winning drives is as much an argument in favor of a solid team as it is a lucky one. It often takes character and a winning mentality to compose a game winning drive.

Vegas is going to love the 2020 'Canes. Remove the emotion/fan side and just look at the facts:

-Lost almost every game by 7 points or less.
-Return most of the team.
-Abysmal offense addressed with solid OC hire.
-QB issue addressed with King.
-Kicking issue addressed with Borregales.
-Several years of (statistically) solid defensive play. Whole staff in tact.
-Easy schedule.
-EReed20

As a person who professionally studies risk and return, this should be at absolute worst a 10-2 team going into the ACCCG. And that's factoring in youth and the unknown intangibles of a new offensive system and QB.

Referencing the game winning drives is as much an argument in favor of a solid team as it is a lucky one. It often takes character and a winning mentality to compose a game winning drive.

It's been proven analytically that most games decided by less than 1 score is as much luck as anything else.

It's the reason Miami had higher win percentages than their opponents in something like 5 of the 7 losses last year.

Also, Auburn did what they did in 2013 with the 97th best defense in terms of opponents yards per play. I'll bet anyone here $1 that Miami's 2020 defense isn't 97th or worse.

Advertisement
Back