Looking ahead

Say we’re 3-1 after September, that FSU game should it be it’s normal week around Columbus Day will be the 1st or 2nd ACC game and probably goes a long way to deciding whether or not Manny has a job in 2021, especially if we’re 3-2 heading in

Advertisement
I think you overrate our talent. Let go of your star fetish. We have evaluated poorly. Too many of these guys aren’t that good. Sorry.
I cant Say what our guys are not, just like golden had legit players on defense but had donofrio coaching them and made them look terrible, same thing happening with our offensive recruits. Let’s see what happens there with a new oc. You have all that talent on offense you shouldn’t be ranked where you were in all of those offensive categories no matter what. Until we have a modern scheme and someone who will actually utilize those players it’s hard to make a definitive statement like you are doing

I think you're right to some extent , but than I look at a guy like Cager who couldn't put it together at Miami but then goes to UGA and becomes their top receiver. We have some serious talent on this team I just don't think they're getting developed or put into the best position to succeed based on their skill set .
Rousseau is likely the only kid on the roster with top 2 round potential. We gotta move past this whole development blah blah. We evaluated poorly. Cager as a 5th year senior would have been a top 2 receiver for us, too, he just chosed to bail. Tell me who on this roster should e starting for LSU, Ohio State or Clemson.

Roster strength:

Defense;
-S: Hall, Bolden, Carter, Frierson, K. Smith [Harrell, Balom, Washington]
-DB: Blades, Ivey, Couch, C. Williams [Clarke]
-LB: Brooks, Huff, McCloud, Joyner, Steed*, Jennings [TAC, Flagg]
-DE: Patchan, Phillips, Cam. Williams, Harvey, Rousseau [Chantz, QW]
-DT: Ford, Silvera, Miller, Blissett, Hunte, Holley [Moise, Roberts]

Notes: Seems okay. Thin at CB, unproven most places, decent talent and potential. Not top level but not a disaster. An injury to a CB would hurt. Need a LB to step up.

Offense:
- OT: Scaife, Herbert, Hillery, Nelson, ElGammel [Rivers, Washington]
-OG/C: Donaldson, Traore, Reed, Clark, Campbell, Gaynor
-TE: Jordan, Mallory, Polendey, Irvin, Hodges [Mammarelli]
-WR: Harley, Wiggins, Pope, Payton [Redding, Daz, Restreppo]
-RB: Harris, Burns [Chaney, Knighton]
-QB: JW, Perry, Tate, Matocha [TVD]
-P/K: Hedley, Baxa

Notes: OL is an issue. TE falls apart after top 2. WR unproven, some talent, lacks depth. RB has talent, but will rely on true frosh. QB missing. Kicker no bueno.

A new OC has to come on, find a QB, work with a bad OL, introduce a spread to a WR room with 4 returning guys, and rely on true frosh RBs. Anyone expecting a miracle here is right - it would tale a miracle.

Good news is next year’s schedule is the worst yet. Hot trash. As bad as we’ll be, no reason we shouldn’t be competitive in all games. Still, talent is unproven, thin and inexperienced. And culture and team commitment are questions. Guess: 6-6
Coaching. Roster means nothing without coaching. This roster isn't dominant enough to compensate for the lack of sound coaching on this team.
If we went 6-6 with this year's schedule, next year can be 5-7. Don't trust that this "Culture" Thing Manny keeps harping on has been resolved, nor clear if he's the one to fix it. OC position will be key. Hire the right guy and this team could go 8-4. That's the best I can give them at this point.

I cant Say what our guys are not, just like golden had legit players on defense but had donofrio coaching them and made them look terrible, same thing happening with our offensive recruits. Let’s see what happens there with a new oc. You have all that talent on offense you shouldn’t be ranked where you were in all of those offensive categories no matter what. Until we have a modern scheme and someone who will actually utilize those players it’s hard to make a definitive statement like you are doing
I’m not debating coahing. We’re talking roster. The NFL will judge talent ether way. Who is a top 2 round kid on O?

Advertisement
I’m not debating coahing. We’re talking roster. The NFL will judge talent ether way. Who is a top 2 round kid on O?
It depends on the success of the team, if we do better in season, players will generate more hype in the nfl draft. Top 2 round kid? I’m not sure yet, lot of young guys and ultimately games to be played in the next season or 2

With just a decent Kicker and OC we are 9-3. Im usually a pessimists but with just a dependable kicker we would have been 9-3 this year. UF, UNC, GT were all lost by missed FGs.

I know the future doesnt look bright and I would be the 1st to tell you we are nowhere close to being playoff contenders (Clemson, OSU, n LSU are lightyears ahead of us) but we can be in a New years 6 bowl next year. We should have beat UF and beat UVA and they were both in the OB.

It depends on the success of the team, if we do better in season, players will generate more hype in the nfl draft. Top 2 round kid? I’m not sure yet, lot of young guys and ultimately games to be played in the next season or 2
You’re in denial. The nfl draft isn’t about hype. It’s about physical ability and skill and determination.

It is or should be obvious we don’t have many if any top round picks at this point. The question is whether we have many 3-4 round kids.

Advertisement
I think you're right to some extent , but than I look at a guy like Cager who couldn't put it together at Miami but then goes to UGA and becomes their top receiver. We have some serious talent on this team I just don't think they're getting developed or put into the best position to succeed based on their skill set .
Why do people keep bringing up Cager as an example of a player that was mediocre here but supposedly blossomed elsewhere? He may have been UGA's "top receiver", but he was essentially the same receiver he was here, Georgia simply didn't have any better options.

For Georgia he had 33 catches, 476 yards, 14.4 avg, 4 tds this year. That's pretty mediocre.

For us in 2018 he had 21 catches, 374 yards, 17.8 avg, 6 tds. So fewer catches (but he was not our #1 receiver), but more big plays and TDs.

Rousseau is likely the only kid on the roster with top 2 round potential. We gotta move past this whole development blah blah. We evaluated poorly. Cager as a 5th year senior would have been a top 2 receiver for us, too, he just chosed to bail. Tell me who on this roster should e starting for LSU, Ohio State or Clemson.
Developent blah blah blah ? How do you think players get better man ? Those payers don't just come in immediately and start balling and set records based off of their high school level skills , they get developed , by coaches who know how to develop . You think OSU keeps putting DBs in the league every year based on evaluating and not development ?
Do you think 2019 Joe Burrow is the same Joe Burrow that threw for less than 200 yards against us ? He was developed

We can't look at how players perform at Miami (for obvious reasons) and automatically assume that same performance elsewhere . So I cant really answer that question past assuming , especially when you literally chose the best 3 teams in the nation with stars at their most important positions

I dont know how you can definitely say our roster sucks and is full of missed evals when we have the coaches that we do .

Advertisement
Why do people keep bringing up Cager as an example of a player that was mediocre here but supposedly blossomed elsewhere? He may have been UGA's "top receiver", but he was essentially the same receiver he was here, Georgia simply didn't have any better options.

For Georgia he had 33 catches, 476 yards, 14.4 avg, 4 tds this year. That's pretty mediocre.

For us in 2018 he had 21 catches, 374 yards, 17.8 avg, 6 tds. So fewer catches (but he was not our #1 receiver), but more big plays and TDs.
Ok well first let's consider the difference in level of competition from the SEC DBs and ACC DBs. And I may be remembering incorrectly but the majority of Cagers stats came in garbage tme or against FCS teams . And let's not forget the drops

Evaluations and development go hand in hand.

We have several kids on the roster who were recruited by successful programs. Were they all wrong on each of those kids too or did we just fail to play them to their strengths?

Not every kid is Ahmmon or Duke and will be good wherever they go. They’re the exception, not the rule.

Either way team will be better this year than last. We have more experience, we will have a better OC as none can be worse than what we had and schedule is even more favorable. If we can kick and punt we should squeak out 8 wins despite any coaching ineptitude.

Advertisement
If we recruit like we did the last 2 years, we'll still be averaging around 22. Never give this staff an excuse. The talent is there, and even when you can't recruit, the talent is there. Coaches need to do their **** job
Your post is a great example of what I talk about often. People claim a discussion of talent creates an excuse for coaching. For the millionth time, that’s false. It doesn’t. But your head in the sand mindset on talent is part of why the fan base is continuously surprised by results and fails to understand what’s wrong.

Offense:
- OT: Scaife, Herbert, Hillery, Nelson, ElGammel [Rivers, Washington]
-OG/C: Donaldson, Traore, Reed, Clark, Campbell, Gaynor
-TE: Jordan, Mallory, Polendey, Irvin, Hodges [Mammarelli]
-WR: Harley, Wiggins, Pope, Payton [Redding, Daz, Restreppo]
-RB: Harris, Burns [Chaney, Knighton]
-QB: JW, Perry, Tate, Matocha [TVD]
-P/K: Hedley, Baxa

I think we'd be helped tremendously at OL if Scaife could kick back inside to G. Rivers might be the guy to help us with that situation. My ideal situation would be for Rivers to be so good, he takes Nelson's spot at LT, and we flip Nelson to RT and he sticks there. *Given what we have now w/o grad transfers/portal additions* - my ideal OL L/R would be Rivers/Scaife/Gaynor/Donaldson/Nelson. Campbell, Clark, Reed are likely your depth off the bench. OL needs some serious upgrades across the board, though - even with a new system that might take pressure off of them compared to Enos' old system.

And I know we've beat up Nelson, deservedly so, but a year of PT, an offseason of development, and a new offensive scheme that doesn't make him pass protect for more than 5 seconds might help him reach his potential. I think if Rivers is who I think he is, it will be between Nelson/Campbell for that RT spot. If Donaldson doesn't come back with a purpose, Clark might take his spot too.

At K - take Baxa away and slot in Price at this point. I think he's the best PK on the roster at the moment. That could certainly be amended by adding Jose Borregales as a transfer...I think he would take the job almost as soon as he arrives.

At TE - don't underestimate Hodges. I don't think he's the level of Jordan/Mallory for sure, but he looked good catching 2 TDs against B-C this season. I think he's got some potential. He'll be back as a RS Freshman as well. Polendey/Irvin are both what they are, probably won't get much better. I hope Mammarelli is better than expected. I think his skill set/talent level is similar to Hodges.

I'm not gonna touch QB or WR...all of those are hard to tell. Could be good, could lead to disaster. Too many variables at both spots.

Advertisement
Back