Longtime heavy booster and Butch supporter says...

We have a huge advantage over Southern Cal.

No state income tax.

There's a reason Tiger Woods headquartered in Orlando. California has punishing state taxes and regulations. Yes, a good Beverly Hills accountant can shelter a lot of income, but at some point, you have to pay him, too. And eventually, Sacramento, as well as D.C., wLks home with a lot of your money.

Why not pay an accountant on Brickell Avenue to park the income you didn't have to pay to the State of California in a growth fund in Grand Cayman?

If we can get anywhere close to the Trojans, we are in the game.

Only tax benefits in CA are for those in the entertainment business... maybe if they get their HC a daytime soap...

Ever see a million dollar house in cali?

2 bedrooms 1 bath

I assume going forward that the Trustees (Spielberg, etc.) would front the man a house up in Hollywood Hills.

Left California in the Sixties when I was a kid and it was still a well-governed state with a world-class public school system.

Now it's like a cross between Bogota and Beirut, with gorgeous climate and killer housing prices. I wouldn't force Hitler to move there.

I love your comparables. I've been to Bogota and Beirut and that made me laugh, but after thinking about it you are right. While I might visit LA more readily than the other two, no way would I live in any of them.

Advertisement
Part of the issue is this: who is going to fill that stadium?

Sun Death is always filled with aqua seats, except during Florida State week. That has to change, dramatically. Butch can change that over time. Kelly will do so as well, but I think the possibility of him coming here is remote unless the Board is willing to spend at least 5 million a year on him and 2 on Assistants. And that's with. Southern Cal out of the picture, as Schefter reported yesterday.

Does anyone seriously think that this Board will do that when they can fall back on a cheaper Butch and take the path of least resistance?

BTW, just because it's Tuesday, players notified.

Sun Death is always filled with aqua seats, except during Florida State week. That has to change, dramatically. Butch can change that over time. Kelly will do so as well, but I think the possibility of him coming here is remote unless the Board is willing to spend at least 5 million a year on him and 2 on Assistants. And that's with. Southern Cal out of the picture, as Schefter reported yesterday.

Does anyone seriously think that this Board will do that when they can fall back on a cheaper Butch and take the path of least resistance?

What did he report? That USC will not pursue Chip?

I hate to break it to you but NOBODY will fill that stadium. The best we'll get are sellouts against FSU and whatever big OOC team comes to play us. We never averagaed more than 50-55k even in the early 00s.

Advertisement
Man, I used to be really high on Davis. The Davis nuthuggers are really starting to ruin it for me. How do you even manage that?
Same.

When you are so delusional that you think Butch is better than Chip, that tends to turn people off.

Same.

I thought you had this place under control?.....I step away for a minute, a few asskickings and a fired coach later and this place went from the extremes of who wanted Golden fired first to Butch is either the greatest coach ever (as long as you give him the best assistants) or you hate him and you either think Kaaya is Tom Brady or you kill puppies and kick babies. You had one job!

Have a good holiday!

Dont you dare tease me with this. It would be effing HUGE. Fvck USC. That's a program that couldn't touch our **** in our best years.

Yeah, I'm sure that's atop Chip Kelly's priority list. He'll compare how USC fared in the years the Canes won the title or nearly did. Then he'll completely ignore the subsequent years, and the heritage, and the donor situation, stadium situation, and so forth.

I'm also told that a successful lateral play of 6 or more is atop Kelly's list. He's hired someone to research USC's history in that regard. That's why the decision is briefly delayed.

Man, I used to be really high on Davis. The Davis nuthuggers are really starting to ruin it for me. How do you even manage that?
Same.

When you are so delusional that you think Butch is better than Chip, that tends to turn people off.

This is silly. Are you really going to change your opinion about someone based on how others react to him? Seems very superficial to me.

Same.

This is silly. Are you really going to change your opinion about someone based on how others react to him? Seems very superficial to me.
No. In reality, you simply look at Chip's body of work compared to Butch's and that alone will change the opinion of any rational poster.

The Butch Zombies do make me sick, however.

Advertisement
In all honesty...Could this be a realistic coaching staff under Chip Kelly?? I think this could be a great staff

HC/OC – Chip Kelly
QB/Recruiting Coord. - James Coley
OL – Jeff Stoutland (Comes with Kelly from the Eagles)
WR – Kevin Beard
RB – Lamar Thomas (Not his specialty, but would be nice to have him)
TE – Larry Scott
DC – Bud Foster??? Unless he is retained by VT...I like Justin Wilcox from USC too...young guy that can bring energy to the team.
DL – Ed Ogeron
LB – Michael Barrow (Comes back to Miami now that Golden is gone...Could also see him coming back as D-Coordinator)
DB – Mike Rumph

Rumors going around that we want to be top 10 moneywise with staff...this could be it right here.

Last edited:
Same.

No. In reality, you simply look at Chip's body of work compared to Butch's and that alone will change the opinion of any rational poster.

Agreed. I have the same generally positive feel about Butch as I did weeks ago, that said there is a difference between comparing him to Kelly or Miles or Kingsbury than a week ago when it was Herman or Butch vs Schiano, Mario, Chud. Different coaching comparisons should raise different discussions not blind BBB.

Anyone who actually feels Butch is a better coach than Chip Kelly is more of a Butch fan than a UM fan.

It's similar to all of the Folden apologists who made every excuse in the book for his failures; placing the head coach above the good of the program.

It's one thing to compare Butch to a guy like Herman, who hasn't served as a head coach in a major conference, or a guy like Strong, who seems to have fizzled out against the big boys.

But we're talking about a guy who won 12 games (!) in 3 of 4 seasons in the Pac 12 and runs an ideal offensive system for UM's personnel.

Believe it or not, it is possible to hold Davis in high regard as an option for our next coach, while also acknowledging Kelly is the best choice by the widest of margins.

Nice distraction this Chip rumor. No doubt he is a great college coach and it is possible that Blake contacted his agent exploring interest. Not seeing it happening though.
Despite Charlie Strong repeated denials, some in the Hect still think he is the leading candidate.
My source thinks a decision will be made after Thanksgiving weekend.

Advertisement
Nice distraction this Chip rumor. No doubt he is a great college coach and it is possible that Blake contacted his agent exploring interest. Not seeing it happening though.
Despite Charlie Strong repeated denials, some in the Hect still think he is the leading candidate.

Who the *** are you?

Who the *** are you?

Sorry?
And why the hostility?

Same.

Agreed. I have the same generally positive feel about Butch as I did weeks ago, that said there is a difference between comparing him to Kelly or Miles or Kingsbury than a week ago when it was Herman or Butch vs Schiano, Mario, Chud. Different coaching comparisons should raise different discussions not blind BBB.

You would think. Butch is a great candidate, who we would all be happy with at the end of the day, but he certainly has done less than other coaches and isn't the only person who can save this program. Limiting every discussion to BBB is asinine and very frustrating.

Advertisement
Anyone who actually feels Butch is a better coach than Chip Kelly is more of a Butch fan than a UM fan.

It's similar to all of the Folden apologists who made every excuse in the book for his failures; placing the head coach above the good of the program.

It's one thing to compare Butch to a guy like Herman, who hasn't served as a head coach in a major conference, or a guy like Strong, who seems to have fizzled out against the big boys.

But we're talking about a guy who won 12 games (!) in 3 of 4 seasons in the Pac 12 and runs an ideal offensive system for UM's personnel.

Believe it or not, it is possible to hold Davis in high regard as an option for our next coach, while also acknowledging Kelly is the best choice by the widest of margins.

It's crazy. And to think that a lot of them are posters who hated Golden and hated the Golden apologists for doing the exact thing they are now doing with Butch (who hasn't even been hired yet!).

I'll say it again: No rational person can compare the records of Chip and Butch and say with a straight face that Butch Davis is the better option for Miami.

In all honesty...Could this be a realistic coaching staff under Chip Kelly?? I think this could be a great staff

HC/OC – Chip Kelly
QB/Recruiting Coord. - James Coley
OL – Jeff Stoutland (Comes with Kelly from the Eagles)
WR – Kevin Beard
RB – Lamar Thomas (Not his specialty, but would be nice to have him)
TE – Larry Scott
DC – Bud Foster??? Unless he is retained by VT...I like Justin Wilcox from USC too...young guy that can bring energy to the team.
DL – Ed Ogeron
LB – Michael Barrow (Comes back to Miami now that Golden is gone...Could also see him coming back as D-Coordinator)
DB – Mike Rumph

Rumors going around that we want to be top 10 moneywise with staff...this could be it right here.

Stoutland I believe was named in the Shapiro scandal as well. We've had a debate about who's situation was worse between Butch and Chip. Being tied to a scandal that nearly brought down the football program equals to not being allowed to come back here. No way will Stoutland ever come down here again.

It's crazy. And to think that a lot of them are posters who hated Golden and hated the Golden apologists for doing the exact thing they are now doing with Butch (who hasn't even been hired yet!).

I'll say it again: No rational person can compare the records of Chip and Butch and say with a straight face that Butch Davis is the better option for Miami.

Agree that Chip is better than Butch. I still think Butch is a good option.

Agree that Chip is better than Butch. I still think Butch is a good option.
Who is saying that he isn't?

Advertisement
Back