Live Observations of the U VS. App St. - King, LB's, Press Cover, etc....

Huff looks like an alien in practice so not seeing him catch on is upsetting. He’s listed as second string this week so maybe he gets his first real play time
IMO its really now or never for Huff. We are as depleted at LB as you can get. You cant get on the field now?....****... just call it a day and hit the portal come January. Nice knowing you.

Advertisement
I mean 5'10-5'11 210 Keontra Smith came from not playing lb for 2 years and took the job and looked better than them.
Steed and Jennings are both 5'11-6'0 sub 230 guys....and Flagg is 5'10 235.
We also have guys asking for Chase Smith to be a backer...all 185-190 pounds of him.

Poor recruiting at that spot for years....guys geting bad injuries..and not replacing that with playable guys is what you get currently.

Keep in mind im bias to a LB on the team (cause i know him and his family) but even with him i told guys he would be a play by 3rd year guy because i knew of his size limitations coming in.

Would you guys take APP State's lb group over ours?. Ill say Yes honestly.
I would take App St’s entire staff over our staph

Regarding #1,

We saw this over pursuit by Jennings and Steed last year. When I watched the plays in slow motion I could see what they were doing. They were simply running to a spot where the thought the RB would be because they are too slow to chase the RB from the back hip. One difference that could help them is that these DEs are setting an edge where the guys last year didn't even though they were much better and now in the NFL. Philipps and Rouche often got too high going upfield as though every play was a pass play. This hurt us against the RPO where UNC killed. The high upfield movement created a gap where there was no contain where Jennings and Steed needed to scrape to the outside with the DE's pushing upfield. They would either get beat to the outside or over pursue and the RB cut back. This pretty much started in the Clemson game where there was no way they could get to Travis Etienne. So, when the ball was snapped and the RB would move in a direction, they would just guess where he would be because they couldn't chase him down. The ultimate exposure was the UNC game.

I have lost all faith in Diaz. For me, he just spits BS in his press conferences that don't help him or the program.
The Diaz quote on Steed:
"Waynmon went in there I thought he did a nice job. He's been here a long time, he's been through it, he knows what to do, and right now he's being reward for his perseverance." Rewarded for his perseverance? C'mon man!!!! Knowing what to do and being able to execute are two entirely different things. Saying he did a "nice job" when his PFF grade is low, just blows smoke up are asses and doesn't help Steed or the team. It's simple. Play the guys that give you the best chance to win.

Steed had a PFF grade of 21.8 for his tackling against Alabama, but improved to 60.9 against App St. However, his overall overall PFF grade against App St was 49.5 in 47 snaps. That grade is below average. You'd want your guys in the 70's and above.

For the record, I think Steed is better than Jennings. So, the fact that Steed grades low in his performances, doesn't leave much to be desired for Jennings. Both are 5th year juniors with another year of eligibility. What happens next year? Do they still get reps based on their perseverance? If I'm Huff or Austin-Cave, I've got to be frustrated given other LB's are out with injuries. Huff is supposed to get playing time against MSU. I'd like to see Austin-Cave in there as well.

I'm sorry Steed and Jennings had injuries and I commend both of them for their perseverance to overcome those injuries. However, this is sport. It's competition. If you're in a boxing match, the judges don't give you the win because you persevered thru injury, but got your *** lit up in the fight. It doesn't work that way. Nor should it in football.

Last edited:
Personnel packages are all fine and dandy I just wanted to see shoop and trobs influence on Manny's scheme. Playing press man, different blitzes etc. I honestly want shoop to be DC. Maybe next year somehow
I want to see physical play against WRs. Playing press doesn't help you (in fact it hurts you) if you don't get your hands on the WR and reroute his *** from where he wants to go. OP's observation of free WR releases against App St is disturbing. I can't believe TRob would allow that to happen.

Mannys scheme is aggressive up front and passive in the back end. That’s why we rarely get beat deep. Even when it’s man he gives a big cushion or bail technique.
Doesn’t this seem *** backwards? If you’re aggressive up front, the easy throws need to be taken away. It’s almost counter intuitive to be aggressive up front and soft on the back end. Jamming these receivers and adjusting their route would make more sense to me. That quarterback won’t have such an easy outlet. Instead manny gives the QB an easy throw with nothing but green grass around the receiver

Advertisement
Doesn’t this seem *** backwards? If you’re aggressive up front, the easy throws need to be taken away. It’s almost counter intuitive to be aggressive up front and soft on the back end. Jamming these receivers and adjusting their route would make more sense to me. That quarterback won’t have such an easy outlet. Instead manny gives the QB an easy throw with nothing but green grass around the receiver

Yep.

Watch when we get shredded , it’s all quick passes or intermediate and it’s obvious in pre snap what’s open. If the oc is worth his salt its fish in a barrel.

Manny has a rep of overthinking things or being the smartest guy in the room. Just read the comments about manny by acc coaches every off season.

Yep.

Watch when we get shredded , it’s all quick passes or intermediate and it’s obvious in pre snap what’s open. If the oc is worth his salt its fish in a barrel.

Manny has a rep of overthinking things or being the smartest guy in the room. Just read the comments about manny by acc coaches every off season.
We mocked those coaches a few years ago, but they are pretty spot on. It could be revisionist history but it really doesn’t look like the same defense we were running with Mike Jack and them. Maybe McIntosh and Willis blinded me and made the back end less relevant.

Manny runs a zone scheme. With alot of zone dogs for pressure. We went press late in the game and TS was all over the wr’s. Manny has been too cute his entire coaching career and it’s his rep around cfb.
Exactly - I think TS is what you want when playing press. Big strong kid who is athletic, given they have him returning punts, etc. I also think AL blades can excel at press coverage. He's very athletic, and he's put on some good size. He's always been able to recover quick, and done a good job at finding the ball in the air. I felt he has always struggled with soft zones, not positioning himself well, or late breaking on the ball. Blades is better in press man than he is in zone (likely less thinking, just be an athlete and make plays). To me, Ivey looks the part, but he just cant find the ball in the air.

The types of recruits we target and have coming in are those long type DB's, which would align with press coverage. Also to your point @Cribby, They ran it at the end of the game with TS - So why not sprinkle it in through the first 3 quarters 40% of snaps, maybe build up to 60-65%. Manny stated in pre season he wanted to get back to that as it decreased under Baker to something like 20-30% on the entire year.

Yeah that's why I thought he'd have a good season but we still aren't letter him play bump n run but we'll put him in man and let Jameson Williams run past him with a free release. Maybe if we played bump and run our des and lbs could get to the qb. But no let's blitz and play soft zone so the pass rush can't get there.
Yea, it would help disrupt the timing at the very least which we needed, especially given our stats on third down defense. Its likely much more would come out of it as well, pressures, sacks, turnovers.

Advertisement
1. I would take out sled, pile on a bunch of people and make the OL push it 100 yds all practice. Make them look left to right like watching a tennis match so they learn to look out for stunts and delayed blitzes.

2. I tried to tell ya'll we needed to play the future, Jake Garcia. King is a wishbone QB and unfortunately not ran anymore. Look to the future and get Garcia in the game. We finally get a big time QB and he playing behind a little boy.

3. LB #$%^&!!! My sister who doesn't watch or know ***** about football would not play Steed and Jennings before Chase Smith.

4. How can you get a James Williams and not have multiple packages for him. LB, S, Hybrid End? Why is the kid standing over there with Harrell.

5. Same with Lenny Taylor! I'm going to literally combust if Coach Lisp trots out Jon Ford before Taylor.
These Freshman ain’t happy at all and your right King can’t see over the line of scrimmage

Exactly!!!! Look at what teams like Alabama and Clemson do. Especially Clemson. They take away the easy throws and dare you to beat them with more difficult deep throws if your WRs can get off of their physical coverage. What we do makes not sense. It's like a bend, but don't break defense relying on the D-Line to make a negative play so that you get them in 3rd and long for which you're happy to give up an easy throw under the sticks make the tackle, and get off the field. That's what this defense is and relies on.

1. I would take out sled, pile on a bunch of people and make the OL push it 100 yds all practice. Make them look left to right like watching a tennis match so they learn to look out for stunts and delayed blitzes.

2. I tried to tell ya'll we needed to play the future, Jake Garcia. King is a wishbone QB and unfortunately not ran anymore. Look to the future and get Garcia in the game. We finally get a big time QB and he playing behind a little boy.

3. LB #$%^&!!! My sister who doesn't watch or know ***** about football would not play Steed and Jennings before Chase Smith.

4. How can you get a James Williams and not have multiple packages for him. LB, S, Hybrid End? Why is the kid standing over there with Harrell.

5. Same with Lenny Taylor! I'm going to literally combust if Coach Lisp trots out Jon Ford before Taylor.
I think the freshman will get burn against Central Connecticut State. I don't see most of them playing this weekend unless we some how blow out MSU.

I agree with all you said, man. The bolded part is a lil different tho. I heard that dude has 10.2 100m speed. Blades won't EVER catch a dude that can put up that kind of number. Maybe we should have recruited his ***! :ROFLMAO:

That's fair. @Jassid82 made a similar response. That dude was definitely fast and I probably should have been more clear that my issue was the bad angles and lack of urgency I saw from Carter and especially Blades. You guy are both right that there was no way Blades was catching that man in the last 50 yards.

Advertisement
Maybe 52..but let not get too carried away lol. Brooks and huffs development is key. I think we have something in 18 also..but huff is mind boggling to me. I see him run down on STs and he clearly has the athleticism..I wonder if it’s a Mix of him not grasping the scheme along with lack of physicality
But we have been saying the same thing about Brooks and Huff for 2 years and have gotten nothing from either one of them.

Yep.

I was hopeful Schoop would help fix some of our glaring issues but it seems he's just another yes man collecting a free pay check.

Advertisement
Yep.

He *has* to be the smartest guy in the room because of the lack of credentials. He never played the game. So he doesn't really know what s it's like to be on the field. plus he has a lisp which has to,affect his confidence. The over-intellectualism is a reaction to both

Advertisement
Back