Listened to a Podcast with Brad Tejada..

Advertisement
to summarize, he said the Board met with Manny just after the bowl loss to see where Manny stood re: the defensive staff. Manny seemed set to run it back, with the exception of Rumph and of course Banda's expected departure. He added that Ed Reed and Banda didn't see eye-to-eye on some things.
According to Brad the trustees weren't exactly thrilled with Manny's plans and allowed time to "re-group" before again meeting with Diaz Mon. January 4. In that meeting trustees expressed concern regarding a repeat scenario of Golden-D'Nofrio in terms of the Diaz-Baker working relationship. Apparently finances for new staff members were then discussed, and Manny was given the backing to field a competitive crew on the defensive side of the ball. The board is confident in terms of the provision available for these hires to the point of saying the Diaz will fix the problem(s) coaching-wise on the defensive side of the ball - and if he doesn't we'll make sure it's fixed. That didn't come off to me as a threat to Diaz's job status, but assurance that quality hires would be made, and unqualified current staff members would be moved/removed. MY GUESS: Reid's evaluations may play a factor here.
So Manny has been given the resources to build his staff, according to Brad, with the inference being however that Blake Baker will NOT be defensive coordinator, or if retaining the title, being nothing more than a glorified position coach.

I personally find it interesting that the moment trustees leaned on Manny (if true)to break status quo, the topic of $ came up. Let's face it, Diaz hired Baker as D-Coordinator from La.Tech, so one would imagine the salary is moderate, possibly not even moderate as far as D-Coordinator salaries run. Patke was given a promotion/raise when Richt left, but guessing again a moderate salary for a position coach. Lord knows whatever Rumph got was too much. I always hear UM people saying there's plenty of money for coaches, BUT when looking at that side of the ball with Baker, Banda, Patke, and Rumph - these all would appear to be bargain-basement hires, coaches hired from HS ball, or lower-profile college positions. I'm troubled that though there's "plenty of money" for quality hires, that money somehow isn't always used. On offense? Yes. To overpay Manny? Yes. For the defensive staff? Remains to be seen.

Related to your personal comments at the end.

It was mentioned that when Manny was hired from Temple, there was a D-side coach who Manny wanted to bring to Temple, but he ended up at Rutgers. And Manny doesn't exactly have a lengthy (or bushy) coaching tree.

So the hire of Baker from LaTech might very well have been a "necessity" thing, rather than a monetary constraint.

It's just so nutty for certain fans to think that Miami lurches from year to year by alternately jacking up coaching salaries, and then penny-pinching the next year. That's not true. We went from paying Richt's staff handsomely...to what...some sort of "oh-my-God, we need to save a mill or two" for Manny's staff (right after we paid Temple 4 mill)? Who in God's name thinks that UM was so desperate to pay a buyout, but then turned so cheap that we would immediately damage whatever benefit was gained from hiring Manny?

Nope. The reality is that you pay a coach what he is worth. But if Beta Blake hired Manny, and if Beta Blake trusted Manny on Day 1, then he allowed Manny to hire the staff he was comfortable with, even if some of those guys were younger/less experienced AND AS A RESULT, DID NOT COMMAND HIGHER SALARIES.

Look, just paying an assistant more money doesn't guarantee results. How did that work out with Enos? How did "Return of the Super-Coaches" work out for F$U in the late stages of the Bowden Era?

Here's the reality. Manny needs to get comfortable with turning over "his area of specialty" (defense) to someone who is experienced, independent, and/or paid well. That can be a hard thing, particularly when a head coach is inexperienced and/or young.

This is not a "UM is cheap, UM doesn't want to pay, UM is broke" kind of a situation. UM will pay well. UM will not overpay for inexperienced coaches, though. But Manny has to be willing to hire and work with more experienced coaches.

Kelvin is a massive homer. (Aren’t we all) But yea I trust him on mannys show more than these Twitter spammers

yes harris def is but at least he offers some insight as he played the game and watches essentially a diff sport than all of us (romberg is a dumbass, but listening to him break down oL play is pretty cool)

I listened to that about 3 days ago. Based on Manny Golden still clinging to Blake Dorito, and us not looking for a DC, Brads being fed **** to appease us. Now we’re supposed to get one good new staff member and 2 jags to go with the DC who gave up more rushing yards to two RBs than anybody in history...in effing history. Not a bad day like they down play it to. Worst cane DC ever...ever. Ever. Going back to 1926. Worse than sunshine U against great ND teams. He sucks that bad. And patsy can’t teach one. Not ONE player on our roster to cleanly field a punt. But they must meet the U Standard Manny held so high...come to think of that, he hasn’t mentioned that in several years. Why? Because nobody on the staff meets the Standard and he knows that we’d throw it right back into his politician face. Mini Golden and Blake Dorito back at it again.

Advertisement
So what exactly does Blake James do?
200.gif

take orders from the BOT. you really think all this is on blake when every AD before him has failed too in the last 20 years. not to defend blake, but may wanna take a look at the people who hired him.

I don’t know enough about university politics but my guess is that there are many ad’s who handle their business and ultimately report to the bot and university president...it just feels like we have weaklings in both positions at Miami

Advertisement
I’m confident the poster is being accurate, the question remains is whether the source behind the Podcast is accurate. But assuming the info is accurate, i can reach 2 alternate conclusions;
1. Manny likes Baker and is clueless and really thinks Baker can get the job done despite all obvious evidence to the contrary,
2. Manny knew he needed more money and acted as though he wanted to keep Baker, threw in money as a factor, and manipulated the BOT for more money.
Cynically I think #1, but then I remember that manny is the son of a politician and they are great at getting more money thru manipulation So I’ll settle on #2.

If its that detailed you gotta wonder if he spoke to someone... from the board.

Advertisement
No offense to Brad, but the first question that came to my mind is he really that connected?

No offense to Brad, but the first question that came to my mind is he really that connected?
Thats the thing that speaks "against" him, if he just spits it out like that and it turns out being untrue, his not very big reputation is history before he blinked.

Not saying that it is correct, just struggling to find reasons why he would make it up and spit it out like that.

Opening the wallet does not guarantee positive results, as we saw with Enos. At the same time, Miami will not be a nationally competitive program without funding nationally competitive salaries.

Advertisement
I hope this isn't true because if it is accurate that Diaz was going to "run it back" until the BOT expressed its dissatisfaction, Diaz is done. Having the BOT telling the HC he needs to fire this guy or that guy is the end of the line. If Diaz went to the BOT and said I want to make these changes and need this amount to make it happen, that's a positive. If BOT is telling Diaz you need to make changes and here's all the extra money to get better people, then for f#cks sake, just fire him now and be done with it. Id much rather go into 2021 with Lashlee as HC on a 1 yr deal if that's the case. Dont waste 2 years of Taylor and Williams on a HC that doesn't think he needs to make a change after his DC gives up the school record in yards. Again, I hope this report is false.

Advertisement
Back