Linebacker Recruiting

sstcane

Sophomore
Premium
Looking at our last couple classes under Manny - our RB, WR, TE, OL, DL and safety recruiting has been elite.

CB has been underwhelming and QB is incomplete (even though I really like TVD).

LB seems to have been talented guys that are underrated. I think that an ELITE LB and CB is what’s missing from the D.

Troutman is a beast. Just went through his highlights (15 mins!)
He has elite closing speed, instincts and tackling ability.

Brooks, Huff, TAC and Troutman seem to have the best physical traits.

Flagg is a great football player - his instincts make up for his lack of speed/size.

Can anyone that has seen Tyler Johnson or Hammett assess their projections as off the ball linebackers? Their highlights are mainly as Rush Ends.

While I really would like Lewis to be in the class (depending on what the full story is) I think that we have some high upside players already.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I love Cave and Troutman. From a highlight film standpoint, which is admittedly an incomplete picture for a LB, there is nothing I don’t like.

They can diagnose, they are fast and they are physical. Both put up huge numbers and both fit this defense.

I love Cave and Troutman. From a highlight film standpoint, which is admittedly an incomplete picture for a LB, there is nothing I don’t like.

They can diagnose, they are fast and they are physical. Both put up huge numbers and both fit this defense.
D, aren’t you a big Tyler Johnson fan as well?

we're slowly getting it together ... troutman and cave were not four star guys, we identified them and locked them up early

Advertisement

Going off his highlight tape, Cave seems to have a great natural feel for pass defense

LB has been super sketch with having a set trio eat up so many reps the past 4 years(not a bad problem to have)

Not to mention most of the top backups have had terrible injuries which has limited their potential development and show what we have...

having said that...

Brooks, Huff and TAC are the top 3 I can’t wait to see hit the field... fast, aggressive, and most importantly playmakers at LB

Advertisement
Loolimg at our last couple classes under Manny - our RB, WR, TE, OL, DL and safety recruiting has been elite.

CB has been underwhelming and QB is incomplete (even though I really like TVD).

LB seems to have been talented guys that are underrated. I think that an ELITE LB and CB is what’s missing from the D.

Troutman is a beast. Just went through his highlights (15 mins!)
He has elite closing speed, instincts and tackling ability.

Brooks, Huff, TAC and Troutman seem to have the best physical traits.

Flagg is a great football player - his instincts make up for his lack of speed/size.

Can anyone that has seen Tyler Johnson or Hammett assess their projections as off the ball linebackers? Their highlights are mainly as Rush Ends.

While I really would like Lewis to be in the class (depending on what the full story is) I think that we have some high upside players already.

Cb is underwhelming? Dunson Williams and couch all
Flipped from top schools. We have a depth issue not a talent issue

Does anybody know if Tyler Johnson is still in the plans? That is the most quiet recruitment I’ve ever seen. No interviews, no social media edit posts, nothing. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, just wondering if there is more to it.

Advertisement
I think people don’t realize he was the best player on that st defense his senior year and that says a lot considering the talent he was surrounded by

Cb is underwhelming? Dunson Williams and couch all
Flipped from top schools. We have a depth issue not a talent issue

I like all those prospects, but compared to the talent at other positions the results aren’t as strong in my opinion.

if we had a Surtain or Tyrique it would be different IMO.

The other guys are good developmental pieces but not instant impact players.

Advertisement
we're clearly moving towards a base defense that only has 2 LB on the field, so in reality this is probably the least important recruiting position on the entire team. certainly on defense, d line and secondary are far more important... guys like avantae, james williams, keontra smith, jalen harrell etc are going to be eating up LB reps 2-3 years down the road.

Best prospect we’ve signed at lb is huff by far

When it comes to backers, I really could care less about their stats more than any other position. Three things I care about:
1. Can they diagnose a play.
2. Can they move fast enough/take the right angle to fill the gap
3. Can they get off blocks

Our recent starting backers had issues with at least 2 of the 3.

I was encouraged what I saw with Brooks in the bowl game because he was checking all 3 (which is why he had double digit in tackles. The tape on Troutman and Cave definitely demonstrates their ability to check off all 3. Huff is surely fast enough to check all 3. Not sure about our other backers.

Advertisement
Back