Lil Tua now in transfer portal

Would you rather have the QB who has thrown 23 career picks on 912 attempts (2.52 percent) and 54 touchdowns (5.92%) with a career completion percentage of 63.7% with an avg yard per attempt of 8.2. Knowing the QB started under 3 different systems in 3 years. Overall record 14-11, win percentage 56

Or

37 interceptions on 1,436 attempts ( 2.58%) and 77 touchdowns (5.36 percent) with a career completion percentage of 67.1 percent with an avg yard per attempt of 7.9? Knowing the QB played in the same system for four years. Overall record 23-18, win percentage 56

Last edited:
Advertisement
@OrangeBowlMagic under what circumstances would he get waiver? Have not heard why he would get a waiver. Thanks,

Two primary arguments.

1. 2019 should count as a redshirt year. He played in five games, but really only had stats in three. Two games involved...going into the game...and basically doing nothing. In the past, when I've heard this argument, the claim was "the school ****ed up and miscounted the games". Not sure what the claim is here. Now, if Saban supports the "we miscounted" argument, maybe Taulia wins. If not, I'm not hopeful for this argument, as it is one of the very few brightline NCAA rules that hasn't been challenged in court. If the NCAA just lets "five games" guys have redshirts, where does it end? This is not an "interpretation" rule. Could be a "made a mistake rule". Will be interested to find out the arguments made.

2. 2020, while an "everyone gets a free COVID redshirt rule", could involve applying the COVID redshirt to another year, and letting a kid take a "regular redshirt". The arguments "in favor" are that if a true freshman who WOULD HAVE redshirted anyhow could "lose" the redshirt forever if the NCAA doesn't allow the COVID redshirt to be "portable" to other years. The arguments "against" include general arguments ("hey, man, we gave EVERYONE the same benefit") to the specific ("yes, he only played in 4 games, but Maryland ONLY PLAYED FOUR GAMES, plus a bowl game"). The "intent" of the COVID year free redshirt was so that OTHERWISE healthy players wouldn't opt out for COVID fears, and Taulia played in 4 out of 5 games and only "technically" qualifies for redshirt under numerical rules that presume a 12 game season. BUT, if he wanted to redshirt in 2020 (it was ONLY his second year, so he could have pulled a Jacurri), he should be allowed to, without having it stolen from him.

Gonna be interesting to see which argument works. I think #2 is the stronger argument, but we shall see.

Followed by the death penalty
It would finally put us out of this misery though

I Guess If You Say So GIF

I drove the Taulia bandwagon a few years back when he was transferring from Bama. Used to read about him all the time in the local paper in Hawaii, he was on pace to shatter every state passing record (basically all held by Milton or Tua). After Bama bought his family a new house closer to the Bama campus, Taulia then broke Alabama high school records (many set by JaMarcus Russell).

So in summary - Taulia either broke or was on pace to break records HS passing records in two states, most of which which were set by two top 5 draft picks -Hawaii records set by a #5 overall Draft Pick (Tua, who might have been the be #1 or #2 if he hadn't been injured) and Bama records set by #1 overall draft pick (Russell).

Like I said weeks ago I think his style of QB play is exactly what Cristobal wants (a bro style QB). I have no insider info, but I figured Cristobal didn't trust Will Howard's accuracy (58.8% career completion rate). Howard had really good 2023, but was very inaccurate in 2021 and 2022, so it's hard to say if 2023 was a fluke or if he's really improved. Incomplete passes kill drives, which is especially crucial when you have a slow, methodical offense. Taulia is a 66% career passer (I didn't factor in his 75% completion rate in 2019, since he only threw 12 passes). My guess all along is that Taulia was the #2 choice behind Ward on Cristobal's top secret QB board.

FWIW, like Howard, Salter isn't a very accurate QB either (61%). That's about the same as Howards. The difference is that Salter is a FAR better runner. His ability to pick up first downs with his feet mitigate some of the passing accuracy concerns. That's why I'd rank him above Howard and Taulia.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Would you rather have the QB who has thrown 23 career picks on 912 attempts (2.52 percent) and 54 touchdowns (5.92%) with a career completion percentage of 63.7% with an avg yard per attempt of 8.2. Knowing the QB started under 3 different systems in 3 years

Or

37 interceptions on 1,436 attempts ( 2.58%) and 77 touchdowns (5.36 percent) with a career completion percentage of 67.1 percent with an avg yard per attempt of 7.9? Knowing the QB played in the same system for four years.
I’ll take them both over what we have on the roster right now

For ***** sake, the best we can do is a guy who doesn't even have any more eligibility left?

Advertisement
As a starter he is:

2020 - 2-2 with two 3 interception games
2021 - 7-6
2022 - 7-5
2023 - 7-5
Career: 23-18 with 37 interceptions.

He will fit in perfectly
If he played this past season, he would have won us 9-10 games. I definitely think it’s an upgrade from TVD

I drove the Taulia bandwagon a few years back when he was transferring from Bama. Used to read about him all the time in the local paper in Hawaii, he was on pace to shatter every state passing record (basically all held by Milton or Tua). After Bama bought his family a new house closer to the Bama campus, Taulia then broke Alabama high school records (many set by JaMarcus Russell).

So in summary - Taulia either broke or was on pace to break records HS passing records in two states, most of which which were set by two top 5 draft picks -Hawaii records set by a #5 overall Draft Pick (Tua, who might have been the be #1 or #2 if he hadn't been injured) and Bama records set by #1 overall draft pick (Russell).

Like I said weeks ago I think his style of QB play is exactly what Cristobal wants (a bro style QB). I have no insider info, but I figured Cristobal didn't trust Will Howard's accuracy (58.8% career completion rate). Howard had really good 2023, but was very inaccurate in 2021 and 2022, so it's hard to say if 2023 was a fluke or if he's really improved. Incomplete passes kill drives, which is especially crucial when you have a slow, methodical offense. Taulia is a 66% career passer (I didn't factor in his 75% completion rate in 2019, since he only threw 12 passes). My guess all along is that Taulia was the #2 choice behind Ward on Cristobal's top secret QB board.

FWIW, like Howard, Salter isn't a very accurate QB either (61%). That's about the same as Howards. The difference is that Salter is FAR better runner. His ability to pick up first downs with his feet mitigate some of the passing accuracy concerns. That's why I'd rank him above Howard and Taulia.
Probably #1, if he knew for sure Taulia would get the waiver, he is better than Ward in my mind. He would show great leadership the way a QB should.

Advertisement

FWIW, like Howard, Salter isn't a very accurate QB either (61%). That's about the same as Howards. The difference is that Salter is a FAR better runner. His ability to pick up first downs with his feet mitigate some of the passing accuracy concerns. That's why I'd rank him above Howard and Taulia.
But is he better than Colt Brennan (RIP)?

really seems like he has no basis for the waiver to be approved, would be thrilled if it was though. he's certainly not a sure thing but he's at least experienced and his older brother might help him game plan a bit

he likely just entered because it was the last day to so in a just in case scenario

Advertisement
really seems like he has no basis for the waiver to be approved, would be thrilled if it was though. he's certainly not a sure thing but he's at least experienced and his older brother might help him game plan a bit

he likely just entered because it was the last day to so in a just in case scenario

He's probably grad transfer so wouldn't matter when he entered Portal

Advertisement
Back