Let's talk about our offensive line

6 guys with extensive experience: McDermott, Linder, Dogflu, Gauthier, St. Louis, Darling.

Nobody else has proven anything one way or the other.

The opportunities will be there for Donaldson, Brown, Herbert, Gaynor. What a time to be alive, man.

Advertisement
Anyone who watched our final five games can't tell me that McDermott didn't look markedly better as an LT.

Was he perfect? No.

G. Brown has never played in a college football game before. I'm sure that he and St. Louis, Donaldson, Herbert will all get a look at LT but we won five straight with McDermott starting there.
McDermott also had a ton of penalties & he's not a natural LT... Brown was not brought in to ride pine, all the coaches have stated numerous times they brought him here to be a day 1 contributor.

Also, I think a lot of y'all are grading on a curve, McDermott did not look that great at LT, if the bar is set extremely low, then yeah I guess...

I don't recall throwing anything at the TV due to a McDermott turnstile bust during the last 5 which means he improved...but I do remember him getting beat like a drum during the Notre Dame game (I think). He was out of his league.

The OL was unfairly crucified last year. When you have a completely stationary QB, who can't even slide around in the pocket and had a tendency to stare at the pass rush, you have to be almost perfect as an OL. And that's never going to happen in today's football. The fact that they kept the sack numbers as low as they did is a testament to them and Searels.

Things drastically improved when they moved Linder out too. He's simply way too small and weak and was a total liability. Look at the ND game where he was being tossed around like a midget at my New Year's Eve party. The DT lined up over him was destroying our offense singlehandedly because Linder couldn't impede him. In fact, Linder looked like a catapult in that game. Jones would step on him and launch into the backfield like a giant boulder at an ancient castle.

Take a look at the NC game. If Kaaya was Clemson QB in that game with the same Clemson OL he would have been sacked 14 times, and Clemson would have been blown out. Kaaya has some excellent traits when he has a perfect pocket. Perfect pockets against good teams are super rare.

Look at Mayfield. He's running for his life constantly, but he makes plays by extending plays so no one trashes OU's OL.

I'll give them a pass for struggling to protect Kaaya (a statue) but LINDER couldn't run block against any team with a pulse last year besides NCSt.

fIfY

Too many times I saw him singlehandedly mess up well blocked plays.

That's why we looked better against a stout run defense in NC state. We took his bum *** out.

One weak link ruins the group.

The Pats exposed the Falcons RG and blew open a comeback because of one sorry *** player.

I will believe it when I see it. We cant run on anybody with a pulse and its been that way for awhile. We will be depending on the same guys it seems. I hope it changes but Im not willing to put money on it.

Statement inaccurate. We have had several 1000+ yard rushers during the past 10 years. Of course, our line can always improve, but we have had very few elite running backs the past several years. If Ezekial Elliot was at the U instead of osu, he would have chalked up big yardage behind our mediocre o lines.

Whoever our QB is is going to make this o-line look 1000x better. I'm telling you now Kaaya will not be missed one bit. It's going to be so refreshing seeing a QB who can move.

Advertisement
I'll say it again, bench and squat numbers are at the HS level.....If we wanna run the ball they better get stronger....We struggled against App st. , FAU etc....only success we have is outta the spread....If we use it 90% of the time....we would be ok ....For some reason Richt like to mix power sets....If he does it again strength-wise they haveta improve...

Last edited:
We don't have any returning OL who has shown they can pass block worth a **** at OT. St Louis was an extreme disappointment. He might not make the two deep this year. Darling is a decent run blocker. He has to play OG. I see nothing so far to indicate NFL potential. So far, that is just wishful thinking. When healthy, I think Linder can be a very good college OC. McDermott is just OK. He is another player that is better at OG than OT. Odogwu is coming off a bad injury and is a liability in pass protection at OT.

If this OL can improve to solidly mediocre, however, and the QB is pretty good, we will score enough points to win most games.

This is my best guess currently at how the two deep shakes out:

OT-Donaldson; Odogwu
OG-Darling; Milo
OC-Linder; Mahoney
OG-Gaynor; Gauthier
OT-McDermott; Brown

This has to be one of the worst starting lineups I've seen proposed on here.

At least we finally have depth and options.

We're no longer one injury away from some guy like Loftus anchoring a tackle spot.

Tackle: McDermott, St. Louis, Brown, Dogflu, Johnson, Herbert, Hillery

Guard: Darling, Donaldson, Milo, Jones, Fines, Mahoney, Dykstra

Center: Gauthier, Linder, Gaynor

players in bold will redshirt imo

Is Milo still on the team?

Advertisement
Second year in a row people are making excuses for Linder being trash.. stop.. The dude can't play, period.. Could barely hold his own against FAU.. It not a coincidence we suddenly got better once he was done for the year.. use common sense.. HE BLOWS! better off with a freshman because Linder's strength is about on the same level..

I'm not to sure about McDoormat either.. I don't know if he actually improved or if he was just playing inferior DEs the last 5 games.. complete possibility.. I want to give him a chance but I'm scared of the result especially when we play FSU early.. don't wanna risk it.

All I know is if Linder steps on the field at any point this season.. you can kiss double digit wins good bye, period. Listen, I'm a Dolphins fan.. being Dolfan during the last 5 years made me realize how much 1 bad O-line can singlehandedly derail your offense, your QB's development, and your running game. I'm sure any Fins fan on here can relate.. when I say.. we know a bad O-line man when we see one.

I will believe it when I see it. We cant run on anybody with a pulse and its been that way for awhile. We will be depending on the same guys it seems. I hope it changes but Im not willing to put money on it.

this and you guys are naive for believeing otherwise

there's a reason richt said it's gonna take 2 recruiting cycles and it's primarily cause of this

don't get your hopes up, I suppose they could be improved but these are still goldens nanny boys

just look at what a 5 star recruit under golden did

The OL was unfairly crucified last year. When you have a completely stationary QB, who can't even slide around in the pocket and had a tendency to stare at the pass rush, you have to be almost perfect as an OL. And that's never going to happen in today's football. The fact that they kept the sack numbers as low as they did is a testament to them and Searels.

Things drastically improved when they moved Linder out too. He's simply way too small and weak and was a total liability. Look at the ND game where he was being tossed around like a midget at my New Year's Eve party. The DT lined up over him was destroying our offense singlehandedly because Linder couldn't impede him. In fact, Linder looked like a catapult in that game. Jones would step on him and launch into the backfield like a giant boulder at an ancient castle.

Take a look at the NC game. If Kaaya was Clemson QB in that game with the same Clemson OL he would have been sacked 14 times, and Clemson would have been blown out. Kaaya has some excellent traits when he has a perfect pocket. Perfect pockets against good teams are super rare.

Look at Mayfield. He's running for his life constantly, but he makes plays by extending plays so no one trashes OU's OL.

I'll give them a pass for struggling to protect Kaaya (a statue) but they couldn't run block against any team with a pulse last year besides NCSt.

OK

Advertisement
The interior should be

LG - Darling
C - Gauthier
RG - Donaldson

Definitely agree with this and that alone should improve our pass pro. Pressure up the middle will kill a pass play fastest. Those guys should also be more stout in the run game than anything we threw out there last season.

Obviously, the wildcard is who steps up and grabs the two tackle spots and how much they'll need help in pass protection.

Thats the best 1st team oline someone has posted...I'll ride with a young qb and quality rb behind that line until proven wrong.

Advertisement
You settling for mediocrity. Thats not Canes football. We dont have a sensitive to the player for doing his best mentality. The best line proven in spring, s&c, film room, and grind in camp should play. I could make a highlight reel of mcdormatt getting abused or penalized often just from one season. This is all bout the U, we not settling for "good enough" anymore...this is freakin weak of our fanbase to even list Linder & McDermott on a 2 deep list. Our standards is higher than that, thats why great players have came thru the U. If those incoming guys bring that thump and that dog to the field, f*ck redshirt, play'em. I think we have 3 newbies in starting lineup by 6/7th game. Set the expectations high for each of our groups and especially the oline

If McDumbnut has to play it should be somewhere besides LT where he can get a QB killed. Like him stumble around at guard. I hope him and Linder be backups.

Thats the best 1st team oline someone has posted...I'll ride with a young qb and quality rb behind that line until proven wrong.

No, that was mcdormatt

The interior should be

LG - Darling
C - Gauthier
RG - Donaldson

Definitely agree with this and that alone should improve our pass pro. Pressure up the middle will kill a pass play fastest. Those guys should also be more stout in the run game than anything we threw out there last season.

Obviously, the wildcard is who steps up and grabs the two tackle spots and how much they'll need help in pass protection.

Anyone who watched our final five games can't tell me that McDermott didn't look markedly better as an LT.

Was he perfect? No.

G. Brown has never played in a college football game before. I'm sure that he and St. Louis, Donaldson, Herbert will all get a look at LT but we won five straight with McDermott starting there.
McDermott also had a ton of penalties & he's not a natural LT... Brown was not brought in to ride pine, all the coaches have stated numerous times they brought him here to be a day 1 contributor.

Also, I think a lot of y'all are grading on a curve, McDermott did not look that great at LT, if the bar is set extremely low, then yeah I guess...

I don't recall throwing anything at the TV due to a McDermott turnstile bust during the last 5 which means he improved...but I do remember him getting beat like a drum during the Notre Dame game (I think). He was out of his league.

He improve from what, sucking? If your standards are that low for what you want on your football team, then you dont expect much in return. At the U, its about reaching greatness and reppin the U with greatness at the next level and beyond. You might not have thrown anything at the tv but you sure as **** wasn't yelling good block kc neither. Ijs, the U aint for everybody and some of those here dont meet the prerequisites.

I'm going to predict the fall position battles. Bold is who I think will win.

Starting Left Tackle:
McDermott, Brown, St Louis, Herbert, Hillery (I think they will allow him to compete, but red shirt him if he doesn't win starting job).
Backup LT:
Darling, Brown, Herbert, Tre Johnson, St Louis
Starting Left Guard:
Darling, Milo, Mahoney, Linder, Ryan Fines
Backup Left Guard:
Milo, Mahoney, Linder, Tre Johnson, Zach Dykstra, Ryan Fines ( I think Dykstra could see rotational play at OG if he develops enough over the spring, will most likely redshirt though)

Starting Center:
Gauthier, Linder, Gaynor, Milo
Backup Center:
Linder, Gaynor, Milo, Mahoney

Starting Right Guard:
Mahoney, Donaldson, Jahair Jones, Milo, Ryan Fines
Backup Right Guard:
St Louis, Mahoney, Milo, Jones, Dykstra, Ryan Fines

Starting Right Tackle:
Odogwu, St Louis, Donaldson
Backup Right Tackle:
St Louis or Odogwu

TL;DR

Starters:
LT: McDermott
LG: Darling
OC: Gauthier
RG: Donaldson
RT: Odogwu (If 100% healthy)

Rotational players:
LT: Brown
OC: Linder
RT: St Louis

This year we used a 7-man rotation, I think we use an 8 man rotation this year, with all the freshman OL except Donaldson red shirting.

Advertisement
Back