Let's talk about our offensive line

Advertisement
Assuming Linder and Dogflu miss spring:

LT McDermott -- Brown
LG Darling -- Fines -- Mahoney
C Gauthier -- Milo
RG Donaldson -- Jones -- Dykstra
RT St. Louis -- Johnson

I think DMoney said on Pete's podcast that they like Gauthier at G.

The thing I want to see is body type changes. Lot's of sloppy looking OL outside of Sunny.

O-Line has been the number one reason for the f$u losing streak. They have a long way to go to match their D-Line.

To me the money line up is:

LT- St. Louis/Brown
LG- McDermott
C- Gauthier
RG- Darling
RT-Donaldson

I Like this lineup. Absolute no doubt, considering how the OL finished the season, that we'll be much improved OL. Certainly VT will be shocked they won't be facing the same door mats they faced last year. I don't think Linder is big or strong enough to play at this level,

prefer Gauthier at center/Gaynor

Right Guard: Donaldson

Left Guard:Darling/McDermott

Left Tackle:Hopefully Brown and or Odogwu/ Herbert

Right Tackle: St. Louis and or Odogwu or Johnson/ Herbert

I hope practice reveals Milo and Mohoney can offer solid depth. Like to see Dykstra, Hillery and Gaynor redshirt, but I think Gaynor may make a bid to play early.

Advertisement
Ugh. I was hoping for a bump in oline production last year but they were hot garbage for the first 2/3 of the season. The late season lineup shift and improvement gives me some hope for a better 2017. The infusion of talent can only help. I think KC McDermott is probably best at LT. He's too weak to play inside but he uses his feet well and is quick in space. He does a great job of getting out on screens but he gets bullied by stronger linemen. Nick Linder should not be on the field with the first team unless there's an injury.

The OL was unfairly crucified last year. When you have a completely stationary QB, who can't even slide around in the pocket and had a tendency to stare at the pass rush, you have to be almost perfect as an OL. And that's never going to happen in today's football. The fact that they kept the sack numbers as low as they did is a testament to them and Searels.

Things drastically improved when they moved Linder out too. He's simply way too small and weak and was a total liability. Look at the ND game where he was being tossed around like a midget at my New Year's Eve party. The DT lined up over him was destroying our offense singlehandedly because Linder couldn't impede him. In fact, Linder looked like a catapult in that game. Jones would step on him and launch into the backfield like a giant boulder at an ancient castle.

Take a look at the NC game. If Kaaya was Clemson QB in that game with the same Clemson OL he would have been sacked 14 times, and Clemson would have been blown out. Kaaya has some excellent traits when he has a perfect pocket. Perfect pockets against good teams are super rare.

Look at Mayfield. He's running for his life constantly, but he makes plays by extending plays so no one trashes OU's OL.

Anyone else pop a boner every time Darling lined up at LG down the stretch.

All I remember is McDoughnut getting thrown around like a cabbage patch doll by that notre dame DT. I think he actually did better at tackle where were set. Please keep off the field.

Advertisement
All I remember is McDoughnut getting thrown around like a cabbage patch doll by that notre dame DT. I think he actually did better at tackle where were set. Please keep off the field.
That was Linder actually

I love what we have at oline.
We complained about offensive tackles and oline in general and look who the staff brought in...

Donaldson
Herbert
George brown
Zalontae hillery

Got some tough guard prospects
especially in gaynor and then dykstra

I'm encouraged

You're the only guy on this site that would say that.

LT - Brown
LG - Darling
C - Gautier
RG - Donaldson
RT - St. Louis

Linder & McDoormat need to keep they *** on the bench.

Anyone who watched our final five games can't tell me that McDermott didn't look markedly better as an LT.

Was he perfect? No.

G. Brown has never played in a college football game before. I'm sure that he and St. Louis, Donaldson, Herbert will all get a look at LT but we won five straight with McDermott starting there.

Advertisement
Anyone who watched our final five games can't tell me that McDermott didn't look markedly better as an LT.

Was he perfect? No.

G. Brown has never played in a college football game before. I'm sure that he and St. Louis, Donaldson, Herbert will all get a look at LT but we won five straight with McDermott starting there.
McDermott also had a ton of penalties & he's not a natural LT... Brown was not brought in to ride pine, all the coaches have stated numerous times they brought him here to be a day 1 contributor.

Also, I think a lot of y'all are grading on a curve, McDermott did not look that great at LT, if the bar is set extremely low, then yeah I guess...

We don't have any returning OL who has shown they can pass block worth a **** at OT. St Louis was an extreme disappointment. He might not make the two deep this year. Darling is a decent run blocker. He has to play OG. I see nothing so far to indicate NFL potential. So far, that is just wishful thinking. When healthy, I think Linder can be a very good college OC. McDermott is just OK. He is another player that is better at OG than OT. Odogwu is coming off a bad injury and is a liability in pass protection at OT.

If this OL can improve to solidly mediocre, however, and the QB is pretty good, we will score enough points to win most games.

This is my best guess currently at how the two deep shakes out:

OT-Donaldson; Odogwu
OG-Darling; Milo
OC-Linder; Mahoney
OG-Gaynor; Gauthier
OT-McDermott; Brown

You said all of that drivel and then made it null and void by listing Linder as your starting center.

No one respects your assessment. you have no idea how to judge O-lineman.

Have several seats......

:kobe:

We complained about offensive tackles and oline in general and look who the staff brought in...

Donaldson
Herbert
George brown
Zalontae hillery

I'm encouraged

Get yo negative a55 on. Go look at what we bring back and who we are adding to the group... tf are you a canes fan for? Foh with that dumb sh*t....

Advertisement

Donaldson
Herbert
George brown
Zalontae hillery

I'm encouraged

Get yo negative a55 on. Go look at what we bring back and who we are adding to the group... tf are you a canes fan for? Foh with that dumb sh*t....

This is the same theme you had when you defended Golden. You were Mr. Super fan and rest of us were "mopes." No one in their right mind should love anything about our OL, especially after the atrocious season they just had. It is a lot to ask for freshmen to fix these issues.

The OL was unfairly crucified last year. When you have a completely stationary QB, who can't even slide around in the pocket and had a tendency to stare at the pass rush, you have to be almost perfect as an OL. And that's never going to happen in today's football. The fact that they kept the sack numbers as low as they did is a testament to them and Searels.

Things drastically improved when they moved Linder out too. He's simply way too small and weak and was a total liability. Look at the ND game where he was being tossed around like a midget at my New Year's Eve party. The DT lined up over him was destroying our offense singlehandedly because Linder couldn't impede him. In fact, Linder looked like a catapult in that game. Jones would step on him and launch into the backfield like a giant boulder at an ancient castle.

Take a look at the NC game. If Kaaya was Clemson QB in that game with the same Clemson OL he would have been sacked 14 times, and Clemson would have been blown out. Kaaya has some excellent traits when he has a perfect pocket. Perfect pockets against good teams are super rare.

Look at Mayfield. He's running for his life constantly, but he makes plays by extending plays so no one trashes OU's OL.

I'll give them a pass for struggling to protect Kaaya (a statue) but they couldn't run block against any team with a pulse last year besides NCSt.

Donaldson
Herbert
George brown
Zalontae hillery

I'm encouraged

This is the same theme you had when you defended Golden. You were Mr. Super fan and rest of us were "mopes." No one in their right mind should love anything about our OL, especially after the atrocious season they just had. It is a lot to ask for freshmen to fix these issues.

We are depending on technically one freshman "Donaldson" to play this season. Maybe gaynor and if you watch other teams you would know 3 of the 4 teams in the playoffs this year had a true freshman OT starting (bama, clemson and Washington)... come up with something ******* new you sound like a **** broken record by mentioning me defending golden which is the furthest from the truth you idiot. I clearly didn't like golden and you can go back to threads from 2013 and 2014 voicing that I wanted him gone. You still a mope, always going to be a mope now hop off my case fvck boy

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back