pcitycane

Retired staff
Premium
2011 numbers for the guys who are coming back

Allen Hurns 31 catches 415 yards 13.4 ypc 4td

Phillip Dorsett 14 147 10.5 1

Rashawn Scott 1 catch 2 yards

Redshirts

none? O'Dare is a walk on that has been talked about.

Incoming Freshmen

Jontavious Carter 6'4 202 4'6 ***

Herb Waters 6'1 170 ***

Malcolm Lewis 5'10 170 4.5 ****

D'mauri Jones 6'4 190 ***

Unless I am missing anyone, that is a VERY young and thin WR corp. One of the frosh would probably shirt.

Dorsett will be a great slot wr here IMO, but dont be surprised to see Malcolm Lewis play early and often, kid is that good. Carter is a MUST to get on the field early because of his size, either him or D'Mauri Jones will most definetly be in the rotation this year.

Our only proven reciever so far is Hurns, and he looked like our best WR until his injury later in the season, in which he still made some catches that wowed.

We are going to have to heavily rely on the run to set up the pass, especially with the questions at QB, and also rely on our TE's to come through when need be. I expect to see the TE much more involved then years past in 2012, I only wish we would have landed a good receiving TE to fill that void that we have right now. Walford can be a star here, but he cant play every snap, and please god no more Chase Fords of the world.

Advertisement
Agree with:

- the increased need for the use of TE next year
- the scary thin and lack of proven playmakers at WR. (hate to even say it...but gotta stay healthy)
- ALOT of running to set of the pass

more thoughts:

- We are gonna rely heavily on young WR's. IMO, of all the position groups, WR is the one where inexperienced kids can come in and have an impact. I'm not even talking Watkins. Just, in our run-first offense, two guys to give something like 450 or 500 yds and 2 or 3 TD's.
- I'd like to see Dye get a real shot at TE...a legit pass catching TE. He needs to get some looks there.
- No mention of Thompkins...not that he has done alot, but is he still here??

Agree with:

- the scary thin and lack of proven playmakers at WR. (hate to even say it...but gotta stay healthy)

more thoughts:

- We are gonna rely heavily on young WR's. IMO, of all the position groups, WR is the one where inexperienced kids can come in and have an impact. I'm not even talking Watkins. Just, in our run-first offense, two guys to give something like 450 or 500 yds and 2 or 3 TD's.
- I'd like to see Dye get a real shot at TE...a legit pass catching TE. He needs to get some looks there.

thought he was a senior last year

Agree with:

more thoughts:

thought he was a senior last year

Panes a redshirt senior

This maybe KT's year to actually contribute... I dont think we're going to pass much anyways... I would think one of the young freshmen will see some pt maybe Carter for some down field blocking... I see Hurns as the number 1 with Dorsett as the number 2... We'll be alright...

Advertisement
Call me crazy, but I think KT can be productive if given the chance. IMO he's a gamer who can really contribute on 5-7 plays/game.

Thompkins just can't catch the ball consistently. He'll play a lot next year because there's nobody else but ask anyone who has ever watched him practice and they'll tell you that he drops about 30% of all the passes thrown to him during a given practice.

Despite our youth and lack of depth, I'm actually not worried about WR this year. Hurns and Dorsett proved they can play this past year, both looked very strong when they got playing time. Streeter and Benjamin were just better options for the most part. I'm sure one or two of our freshmen will step up, and Walford can be dangerous. I expect us to run most of the time and it's not like we run the spread or anything. I see plenty of other quality teams get by with 2 or 3 good receivers, I think we can as well.

there is not 1 WR on that list that stretches the field. Dorsett may be able to be that guy but who knows (**** averaged a pedestrian 10 ypc). WR looks real bad right now IMO. we don't have any gamebreakers

Hurns hopefully can take the next step but there is something that just seems to be missing with him (speed, acceleration, etc).

with No Miller in the backfield and no Streeter or Benjamin on the outside, there will be 8-9 in the box all day and the field will look very small for whoever the QB is due to the lack of explosiveness at the WR spot

Advertisement
Lots of young talent but no #1 receiver potential........yet.

Streeter coming back would have just been massive for us, let that young talent marinate.

The guy to watch in the spring is Rashawn Scott. Prime opportunity for him.

A lot of people within the program expect big things from him. When I saw Scott in August, he was still raw running routes but showed surprisingly natural hands.

Morris's ability to throw with velocity should lead to an increase in yards after catch, and Scott might be the biggest benificiary. He can make people miss and has size. I'd like to see him involved in the screen/smoke route game. That's an element that's been missing here for some time.

Advertisement
I think WR position is going to surprise next season. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 dark horses emerge to be solid. WR coaching was the best of all last year in my opinion.

We really need someone to step up like Hankerson and Streeter have the past 2 seasons. Hurns and Dorsetts development this off season will be huge as well. Everyone better stay away from injuries as well.

Advertisement
Big mistake if we play AJL at DB. Kid needs to stay at WR, doing great in UA practice. We need some playmakers at WR and he can be one. WR list looks awful right now.

Have to think that we push hard for another WR in this class. Especially with the AJL academic rumors. Gotta think that Golden is selling early PT hard to these guys.

We really need someone to step up like Hankerson and Streeter have the past 2 seasons. Hurns and Dorsetts development this off season will be huge as well. Everyone better stay away from injuries as well.

Thanks for the jinx. Every time someone says we can't afford any injuries at X position we can look forward to a bunch of extremities being injured.

Advertisement
Back