Let's face some facts

We should go for Patterson, but it is very unlikely he shows any real interest. His contract includes some oil and gas royalties in addition to his base salary. He is making a lot more than $4 million per year all in.

Advertisement
Why can you people not understand that some people think that Butch is a good coach.

You say "we need to at least contact Herman, make him tell you no, then go get Butch?"

Is it not possible that Butch fits the criteria they are looking for, and wants the job? I personally think Butch is a better coach than Herman, or Fuente, or whoever else you bring up. I would not be upset however, if he is not hired, in favor of one of the hot up-and-comers. But I'd really like to see you anti-Butch people recognize that he is a good coach, and stop losing your minds about him being possibly hired.

To the OP, Blake handled the Golden decline very poorly. I was not impressed, and lost confidence in Blake for not being more astute, for not handling the press better. After the Clemson game I expect it was the BOT that pushed for Golden's firing, and Blake caved to their demands.

I don't get the impression that Blake is an alpha dog. But I expect Dimare is.

Dimare has more juice than James, so it's not likely Blake would stand up against Dimare in a decision.

Net net, if Dimare has a strong preference for a coach, I expect there's a good chance that's who's going to be hired.

That's exactly what Friendchise is saying. He is also hoping that our de facto AD, Dimare, is not stuck in the 80s or 90s and does a real search for a coach. Friendchise astutely points out that de facto AD Dimare has hired his son to be the next baseball coach at UM. Hopefully, de fact AD Dimare will put a lot more thought and effort into finding a new football coach for UM than he did for baseball. Hiring from within was not a great move when The Wizard retired and they hired Brad Kelly to replace him, and de facto AD Dimare's son has been a part of a baseball coaching staff that oversaw a precipitous decline over the last decade (notwithstanding this year's return to Omaha).

Fact is that Dimare is UM's actual AD. That yellow toothed socked puppet secretary of his, Kermit The AD, is merely a stooge in place to take the heat for the bad decisions that Dimare makes as AD. Fake is as much the AD as you are, friends.

Let's figure it out. Let me help in the process if I may. Here's the proof:

1. Dimare's son will be the next head baseball coach. For those who don't follow baseball closely, UM is a top 3 job in college baseball.

Last time the job was open, UM went to Georgia Tech, which was a College World Series team with guys like Kevin Brown, Garciaparra and Veritek playing there, and UM took their HC. What do we do this time? Hire the AD's son.

2. Fake spent the last several months telling the world that Folden would be the HC through the end of this season and that no change would be made. A few hours later, Dimare fires Folden.

3. Barry Jackson's latest article lists Dimare and Miller as the guys running the search for the next HC. Dontravious Money has already told us that Miller isn't a football fan. Who does that leave as the guy making the decision? Yep. Your AD Mr. Dimare.

I'm not here to say that Dimare is any less qualified to be the AD and pick a HC than Kermit The AD. In fact, he's probably far more qualified as a successful businessman to evaluate a potential employee than a guy whose claim to fame was selling tickets.

My only hope is that Dimare is an astute college football fan and not just some old stubborn dude stuck in the 80s or 90s.

Run a real search, AD Dimare. Call some monsters and pitch them on UM. Call a guy like Gary Patterson and see if losing his Heisman caliber QB and all-world WR at the end of this season might have him thinking about a change of scenery. What better time to jump than after losing your entire offense?

AD Dimare, please don't just sit back and go down the usual desultory list of fired failures with some connection to UM or the area. Shoot for the stars and remember you have a pretty good option there if you fail to bag a big buck.

98% TRUTH

Advertisement
I'm all for hiring Butch. But conduct the national search that everyone says will be conducted.

If Butch stacks up better than the rest, then fine.

Don't rush and hire Butch after thanksgiving without even interviewing a current college coaches who is qualified for an interview

I find it shameful and disturbing that UM can just be run by the highest bidder.

It's one thing to demand the program be better, or want a new coach.

But it is entirely improper, IMHO, that this man is essentially running UM athletics. He was a huuuuge Golden guy btw.

If I remember correctly, Butch was the 5th or possibly the 6th choice back in 1995. Point being, a complete search needs to be done. If it's simply picking up the phone and calling Patterson's agent or Strong's, and whoever else is fine by me, but we have to get an answer, even if it's a "no" from some of the top coaches out there.

If ultimately it reverts to Butch as the 5th choice again, well I think many of us can live with that!

I love Butch and would be elated if he gets the job, but Miami needs to do their due diligence and reach out to guys like Patterson and Herman to see if they have interest.

Due diligence? "Lets see, Stuart, when was the last time we were not complete laughingstocks? Oh year, that was the year we ran out of Butch Davis recruits. You have any idea what went wrong." "Dang, Paul, I don't know we hired that short fat lady to run my hospitals and thing got bad after that." "Well, Stuart, she is gone so lets hire that Butch dude back and let him build another monster for us." "Paul, should we check with James?" "Don't worry, Stuart, I'll let him know when to make the announcement. That work well with the Golden thing." Good enough for me.

Advertisement
Agreed Franchaise. Everything right about running a national search to see who is interested, and I love the idea of weighing Patterson's interest; I was thinking along the exact same lines earlier this week. He might just feel like he's done all he can do at TCU and be looking for a new challenge. Why not here? We all know Butch, and he isn't going anywhere. From what is being said on here, I just love that at worst Butch is our fall back plan, but I would definitely make the calls to other coaches who have a proven track record of success.

Run a real search, AD Dimare. Call some monsters and pitch them on UM. Call a guy like Gary Patterson and see if losing his Heisman caliber QB and all-world WR at the end of this season might have him thinking about a change of scenery. What better time to jump than after losing your entire offense?

AD Dimare, please don't just sit back and go down the usual desultory list of fired failures with some connection to UM or the area. Shoot for the stars and remember you have a pretty good option there if you fail to bag a big buck.

This is a must. Makes no sense to approach it any other way. Don't cut our legs out from under us.

Identify the best of the best and MAKE THEM TELL YOU NO.

If Butch brings Mario as HCIW and Mario actually ends up succeeding him, this program is back to where we are now.

I hope some of the posters above me grasp that.

This is just a ploy by Butch to get hired, nothing more... He wants the job so bad, he say whatever it takes...

If I remember correctly, Butch was the 5th or possibly the 6th choice back in 1995. Point being, a complete search needs to be done. If it's simply picking up the phone and calling Patterson's agent or Strong's, and whoever else is fine by me, but we have to get an answer, even if it's a "no" from some of the top coaches out there.

If ultimately it reverts to Butch as the 5th choice again, well I think many of us can live with that!

That was before Butch recruited the greatest team ever and left us in such great shape that it was two years before anyone could even cheat us out of game. Butch is the best choice, first choice and perhaps the only choice.

Advertisement
How will we, as mere fans, ever really know the extent of the search? What if Patterson, Herman, or any other current coach simply has his agent turn us down over the phone and no actual interview materializes? Would that be a failed "search" in your eyes? I'm sure informal, back-channel "interviews" are part of coaching searches all the time and I doubt the fans get wind of many of them. Point being, some will ***** about this process if his guy isn't picked, but very few will know the whole story behind the process of selecting the next coach.

This is a must. Makes no sense to approach it any other way. Don't cut our legs out from under us.

Identify the best of the best and MAKE THEM TELL YOU NO.

Butch is the Star for Miami.

I find it shameful and disturbing that UM can just be run by the highest bidder.

It's one thing to demand the program be better, or want a new coach.

But it is entirely improper, IMHO, that this man is essentially running UM athletics. He was a huuuuge Golden guy btw.

Hahaha...

Welcome to America... btw - This is how presidents are elected too!

Advertisement
CanesForever started this thread because he is scared to death that Butch Davis is going to be hired.

That was before Butch recruited the greatest team ever and left us in such great shape that it was two years before anyone could even cheat us out of game. Butch is the best choice, first choice and perhaps the only choice.

I'm sorry but I have to laugh at the silliness of this now. So Butch Davis is the only coach who can ever win here now? He didn't even win when he was here. So Chip Kelly, Mike Gundy, Gary Patterson can't win here? I can't imagine what you people would have been like back in the day when we consistently hired outsiders.

Advertisement
Back