Let's Define Pro Style Offense And Richt's Version

What is your basis that Richt is too old and has lost his feel for the offense? Richt called the perfect play and Kayaa had the perfect throw which brought us within 1 point to tie the game with 1:38 left in the 4tth qtr. We were that close from beating FSU. As far as Richt's age he's on par with the premier OC's in collage football in terms of age.

Judging by all of the negative posts on Richt, Kayaa and the offense I would have thought that at least one of you OC and offensive gurus would have been happy to share your insight on how Richt should architect and implement the pro style offense.

It's like you trying to build your house and someone is standing around telling you that you're doing it all wrong. You offer them the opportunity to produce a blueprint then they all of the sudden don't know where to begin. I gave you guys the basics of the pro set and the extension you should be able to take it from there and tell us what Richt is doing wrong.

We have to get past our emotions to understand what Richt is trying to install for the long term success of our program.

Last edited:
Advertisement
When your QB has less time in the pocket, your WRs have less time to gain separation downfield.

Coley and Richards did get open against FSU at times - underneath routes only (slants).

Notice that when we played App St (and they couldn't immediately get to our QB) we hit plays downfield, and TE over the middle for a TD.

Gonna take a few years unfortunately to get it to an elite level though. And it has nothing to do with our skill position players.

I don't think the Wr's had much of a problem getting separation.

I think the Man coverage and pass rush negated the TE's more than anything. I didn't see them getting any separation with the routes they were running.

What is your basis that Richt is too old and has lost his feel for the offense? Richt called the perfect play and Kayaa had the perfect throw which brought us within 1 point to tie the game with 1:38 left in the 4tth qtr. We were that close from beating FSU. As far as Richt's age he's on par with the premier OC's in collage football in terms of age.

Judging by all of the negative posts on Richt, Kayaa and the offense I would have thought that at least one of you OC and offensive gurus would have been happy to share your insight on how Richt should architect and implement the pro style offense.

It's like you trying to build your house and someone is standing around telling you that you're doing it all wrong. You offer them the opportunity to produce a blueprint then they all of the sudden don't know where to begin. I gave you guys the basics of the pro set and the extension you should be able to take it from there and tell us what Richt is doing wrong.

We have to get past our emotions to understand what Richt is trying to install for the long term success of our program.
[MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION] sort of it explained it already. It'd be nice to use our TE's as more than decoys and with a complete route tree In formations that take advantage of mismatches.

Those formations, imo, are the traditional 12 personnel sets that would target the LB's and safeties in coverage against our Two beasts rather than flex them out wide and have them work outside the hashes against guys with a clear speed advantage.

It's clearly something Richt has implemented. We saw it in the App game and it's been confirmed we've seen it in practice.

[MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION] sort of it explained it already. It'd be nice to use our TE's as more than decoys and with a complete route tree In formations that take advantage of mismatches.

Those formations, imo, are the traditional 12 personnel sets that would target the LB's and safeties in coverage against our Two beasts rather than flex them out wide and have them work outside the hashes against guys with a clear speed advantage.

It's clearly something Richt has implemented. We saw it in the App game and it's been confirmed we've seen it in practice.

This is but one way to mix and modify a pro style system to achieve success; there are a near endless variety of alternatives. That is why I thought that it was important for someone to explain what a pro style offense is so that people will understand what it can do. Based on the early reactions by the fan base most people saw little difference in production and therefore related what Richt was trying to do to what they have seen from OC's such as Coley. And that is way off base.

Good deal by LuCane that is what I was hoping to get out of this thread.

Last edited:

This is but one way to mix and modify a pro style system to achieve success; there are a near endless variety of alternatives. That is why I thought that it was important for someone to explain what a pro style offense is so that people will understand what it can do. Based on the early reactions by the fan base most people saw little difference in production and therefore related what Richt was trying to do to what they have seen from OC's such as Coley. And that is way off base.

Yes, Lu made good points and I agree with him. I just don't agree with the people who think the game has passed Mark Richt.

We DO NOT beat App State if that was the case.

But, as it has been stated, we will see this Saturday

Advertisement
I'm starting to hear a lot about our receivers not getting separation.

When did it become such a problem for two future NFL receivers in Coley and Richards to get separation at the college level?

How come Njoku got all kinds of separation last year and apparently get any this year? Did he get slower and weaker?

Its because posters need excuses why we were so bad vs FSU and don't want to assign blame to Richt.

I'll give you credit ... You've been anti-Richt since before he was hired.

So, are you hoping to be proven right about Richt's inability to get us to the next level? Or, are you the guy that's gonna be "happy to be proven wrong and eat crow"?

(Answer Key: Neither are good options)

But keep knocking Richt in every thread. If he doesn't get it done, and "your team" stays irrelevant, at least you were "right".

I was anti-Richt before he was hired. Once he was hired I was encouraged because he was going to call plays. I liked what he did at FSU, so even though it was a long time ago I was optimistic. I was hoping we wouldn't see what I saw from him at UGA the last 7-8 years (I watched a lot of UGA games), conservative, unimaginative play calling. Losing big games they should win.

I don't think I will be "right" if things don't go well, I'll be disappointed. I want Miami to be back on the top of the mountain, I don't care who gets us there.

Don't understand why people are upset with people telling the truth. Richt wasn't good vs FSU, lets hope that changes vs UNC because we are going to have to put up a bunch of points to win.

I feel like there's a lot of hyperbole regarding our offense. People blaming all kinds of different factors, saying our WR's couldn't get open, talking about RPO's (when they don't even understand what an RPO is), saying Kaaya was scared, blah blah blah.

Could our offense have been called better, perhaps. However, at the end of the day football comes down to execution. Blocking and catching fall into that category. We were poor at both.

We dropped too many balls and our OL got their a$$es kicked the majority of the game.

Then you gotta consider miscellaneous plays that made a difference.
*Coley catches a bubble and falls straight on his face when he would've had an easy 1st down
*Kaaya throw a ball into the dirt to (an open) Coley on a 3rd down
*Berrios drops a ball that hits him right in the chest
*Dobard drops a ball that hits him right in the hands
*Kaaya throws a pick in the endzone
*We get a holding call on a big play by Walton that would've probably broke FSU's back. We then run the ball twice in a row.
*Kaaya gets sacked twice in a row

Richt can't block, catch and throw for our players.

I can also guarantee that our whole offense isn't in yet.

I do, however, agree with Lu's assessment that we should've used our TE's more. (not just as decoys)

I feel like there's a lot of hyperbole regarding our offense. People blaming all kinds of different factors, saying our WR's couldn't get open, talking about RPO's (when they don't even understand what an RPO is), saying Kaaya was scared, blah blah blah.

Could our offense have been called better, perhaps. However, at the end of the day football comes down to execution. Blocking and catching fall into that category. We were poor at both.

We dropped too many balls and our OL got their a$$es kicked the majority of the game.

*Coley catches a bubble and falls straight on his face when he would've had an easy 1st down
*We get a holding call on a big play by Walton that would've probably broke FSU's back. We then run the ball twice in a row.

Love this post.

Like I stated before. Even with the game plan we had. There were more than enough opportunities to put points on the board where our players didn't execute or lacked the talent to.

People acting like the playcalling was so bad because Richt didn't sling it around on 1st and 20 when we clearly lost the momentum.

Advertisement

Love this post.

Like I stated before. Even with the game plan we had. There were more than enough opportunities to put points on the board where our players didn't execute or lacked the talent to.

People acting like the playcalling was so bad because Richt didn't sling it around on 1st and 20 when we clearly lost the momentum.

That's the thing, I think the emotion of the loss( and how UM lost) really painted a bit of a distorted picture. I do think there are some problems( Oline for instance) but we shouldn't act like this is 2007 with Kirby Freeman

Ive turned the page and looking forward to UNC. I hope the team has to, there's still a LOT to play for

I do, however, agree with Lu's assessment that we should've used our TE's more. (not just as decoys)

The TE's were targeted 7 out of 11 series. The TE's were not targeted in 5 series. Of the 5 series where the TE was not targeted at all it resulted in a run or pass to a WR. 2 TE targets resulted in a incomplete pass and 1 of the 2 were batted down. I don't see or agree with the decoy assessment.

Last edited:

Good job. This is what we need more of from our fan base rather than just saying something negative explain what you saw and back it up. The explanation proves that you have an idea of what's going on rather than posting something negative.

@LuCane sort of it explained it already. It'd be nice to use our TE's as more than decoys and with a complete route tree In formations that take advantage of mismatches.

Yes, Lu made good points and I agree with him. I just don't agree with the people who think the game has passed Mark Richt.

I didn't make any of those conclusions about whether or not the game has passed Richt by. I go by what I see and try to stay on topic.

My posts since the game are rooted in what we saw on Saturday, what I know they've done in practice and what I wished we had seen. Richt has his reasons, I'm sure, for his playcalls. He said himself he was "rusty" and probably went to the RPO too much. Personally, I just wanted to see stuff inside the hashes more and I know it's available in his 12 personnel.

Since then, I made a proposal for what I hope to see going forward. It's found here: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/proposal-offense/103316

Gladly take any critique or suggestions there. After all, not like it'll make any real difference in what we do!

Advertisement

Can we get this post placed at the top of the website? Perfect.

Can we get this post placed at the top of the website? Perfect.

Not going to accept that as a whole. There are serious truths in there. Sure, execution matters a ton. Sure, blocking matters a ton. No one is disputing that.

But...

5 days later and no one has answered why we didn't counter FSU's adjustments to more aggression.
5 days later and no one has answered how a WORSE OL last year was able to hold up against a better FSU defense on the road and able to produce enough time for Kaaya to do his thing.
5 days later and no one has answered why we didn't use the middle of the field or try to get vertical with our TEs.

To simplify to "could our offense could have been called better, perhaps" is too much.

I would be f'in shocked if Richt himself didn't feel he could have called a better game. And, yes, we could have still overcome that if certain plays happened our way. That's because, in reality, we should have won the game by 10+ points. What's done is done. Let's see what adjustments happen in the next two.

The TE's were targeted 7 out of 11 series. The TE's were not targeted in 5 series. Of the 5 series where the TE was not targeted at all it resulted in a run or pass to a WR. 2 TE targets resulted in a incomplete pass and 1 of the 2 were batted down. I don't see or agree with the decoy assessment.

Well I think Lu's point was also HOW they were targeted. Most of their targets were bubble routes, no?

Advertisement

@LuCane sort of it explained it already. It'd be nice to use our TE's as more than decoys and with a complete route tree In formations that take advantage of mismatches.

I didn't make any of those conclusions about whether or not the game has passed Richt by. I go by what I see and try to stay on topic.

My posts since the game are rooted in what we saw on Saturday, what I know they've done in practice and what I wished we had seen. Richt has his reasons, I'm sure, for his playcalls. He said himself he was "rusty" and probably went to the RPO too much. Personally, I just wanted to see stuff inside the hashes more and I know it's available in his 12 personnel.

Since then, I made a proposal for what I hope to see going forward. It's found here: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/proposal-offense/103316

Gladly take any critique or suggestions there. After all, not like it'll make any real difference in what we do!

May I ask what kind of stuff you saw from our offense in practice? Just curious.

Well I think Lu's point was also HOW they were targeted. Most of their targets were bubble routes, no?

Yes, TE targets were outside the hashes. I fail to understand why. The matchups aren't there against speedier Nickel guys and our strength (size, length) is negated. Like I said, if I'm playing Safety for an opponent and you have Herndon and Njoku trying to run out routes and bubbles away from me, I am thankful. If you have those guys, especially Njoku, running directly at me and to go over the top (as more than a decoy), I know I have to get lucky ripping the ball from their arms as they come down with it from boxing out me or 90% of DBs (not named Derwin Jones).

Every sport is about matchups. Football is no different. We didn't maximize our matchups as well as we could've. Those plays between the hashes are in the playbook.

Not going to accept that as a whole. There are serious truths in there. Sure, execution matters a ton. Sure, blocking matters a ton. No one is disputing that.

But...

5 days later and no one has answered why we didn't counter FSU's adjustments to more aggression.
5 days later and no one has answered how a WORSE OL last year was able to hold up against a better FSU defense on the road and able to produce enough time for Kaaya to do his thing.
5 days later and no one has answered why we didn't use the middle of the field or try to get vertical with our TEs.

To simplify to "could our offense could have been called better, perhaps" is too much.

I would be f'in shocked if Richt himself didn't feel he could have called a better game. And, yes, we could have still overcome that if certain plays happened our way. That's because, in reality, we should have won the game by 10+ points. What's done is done. Let's see what adjustments happen in the next two.

At some point you have to accept the fact that it all comes down to execution.

--> why we didn't counter FSU's adjustments to more aggression.

Richt and Dugans did. Look at how clean Coley's route was when Kayaa made the TD for the tie. It's the same route they were trying to hit most of the game.

Berrious trusted his blocking on the punt return.

4th and 21 at FSU 16
(3:19 - 4TH) LOGAN TYLER PUNT FOR 43 YDS , BRAXTON BERRIOS RETURNS FOR 43 YDS TO THE FLAST 16

TOUCHDOWN
4 PLAYS, 16 YARDS, 1:41
FSU
MIAMI

1st and 10 at FSU 16
(3:02 - 4TH) MARK WALTON RUN FOR 4 YDS TO THE FLAST 12
2nd and 6 at FSU 12
(2:23 - 4TH) MARK WALTON RUN FOR 3 YDS TO THE FLAST 9
3rd and 3 at FSU 9
(2:06 - 4TH) MARK WALTON RUN FOR A LOSS OF 2 YARDS TO THE FLAST 11
4th and 5 at FSU 11
(1:38 - 4TH) STACY COLEY 11 YD PASS FROM BRAD KAAYA (MICHAEL BADGLEY PAT BLOCKED)

-->5 days later and no one has answered how a WORSE OL last year was able to hold up against a better FSU defense on the road and able to produce enough time for Kaaya to do his thing.
Kayaa was 29-49 for 405 yrds. The OL did a decent job pass blocking to allow Kayaa just enough time to throw for those yards. The WR threat was better and Kayaa made great throws.

Last year FSU took away the run completely, we were 1.1 per carry the run blocking was atrocious. This year the spacing on the OL and passing concepts was much better for the WR's and TE's for the most part. Kayaa didn't make the throw, the WR's dropped a lot of balls. And the OL and RB's missed key blocking assignments.

-->5 days later and no one has answered why we didn't use the middle of the field or try to get vertical with our TEs.
This year FSU played the middle of the field better. They forced everything outside by leaving the CB's one on one with the WR's outside. As an OC you have to take that. Kayaa and WR's for most of the game didn't make them pay. The WR's and TE's were open. They finally executed when it counted 1:41 4th Qtr.

-->To simplify to "could our offense could have been called better, perhaps" is too much.
In hindsight what more could one say?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back