Let's Define Pro Style Offense And Richt's Version

Moro

Thunderdome
Our Fan base is upset with Richt as the OC, to be frank, because they don’t understand the offense that he is designing and implementing nor do they understand what he is asking of the QB (Kayaa). So I figured this would be a good time to define that term "pro style offense". From this you can debate what Pro-Style offense Richt is running and what it is he is trying to do. You will also have a better understanding of why it is taking Kayaa so long to learn the system. But keep this in mind, there is a saying to college QB's coming into the NFL: “Everyone just got better except you”. This is because it usually takes a QB at least 10-14 starts to learn the system. At this point Kayaa has had only five starts. So here we go.

First, there is no singular pro style. Most coaches, players, and students of the game will say that there are really five "pro style offenses":

The current pro style offenses in use by all 32 NFL teams are:

• (Generic) Pro Set - The default offense for the NFL between 1960 and even today comprised of 2 WRs, 1 TE. Most other offenses are extensions of this Pro Set.

• Zampese-Coryell "Air Coryell" - An extension of the Pro Set used by Don Coryell from 1978 to 1986 that makes the tight end more of a receiver than a blocker, as is the case with the Pro Set.

This offense is run out of the Pro Set, but differentiates itself from the base offense by using pre-snap reads after putting a receiver in motion. Receivers get open by creating seams forced by the pre-snap reads, motion, and the patterns adjusted after the read (very similar to the Spurrier Fun N' Gun). This offense is still used today by the Detroit Lions, Indianapolis Colts, Chicago Bears, and by other teams with elements of the Spread.

• Erhardt-Perkins "New England Offense" - An extension of the Pro Set used by Ron Erhardt and Ray Perkins in the late 1970s. This offense focuses on time of possession with grinding running backs. As offenses evolved in the 1980s, the play-action became a popular way to set up a deep vertical game. In modern times, the New England Offense is often mixed with elements of the Spread by New England (this offense is de-evolving from pure Erhardt-Perkins over time) Kansas City (this offense is looking more Pro Set or spread, depending on the QB), and the New York Giants.

• Bill Walsh "West Coast" - An extension of the Pro Set used by Bill Walsh that emphasizes short passes to open up the running game. Like the Air Coryell, the West Coast uses elements of the playbook to open up passing lanes that are set up by the running game, but differs through the use of short passes to the edges. San Francisco and a host of other teams still use this offense.

• Generic smash mouth - A generic name for the Pro Set that focuses on large fullbacks as lead blockers, strong tight ends that create running lanes, and powerful running backs that grind out 3 to 4 yards at a time.

Any of these offenses are considered "pro style". Since the early part of the decade, more and more elements of the spread have been appearing throughout the NFL. In college, these five offenses are still prevalent. When most people complain about "kiddie college offenses", they are talking about pure Spread using the zone read, and spread option using the option, or any combination thereof. The Run and Shoot also faced similar criticism in the 1980s and 1990s despite its success in the NFL and in college, as well as CFL. The New York Giants actually employ some Run and Shoot elements today. The Steve Spurrier Fun N' Gun shared elements of the Run and Shoot and the Air Coryell, even beyond the cosmetic commonalities.

The Challenge For Richt:

Richt don't necessarily need to be Belichik or Meyer in order to design an effective hybrid offense around his personnel; he only has to possess a vision of such an offense, the imagination to recognize daring details that lend themselves to such an approach, and the will to implement and further modify the overall work-in-progress as it finds its rhythm, growing confidence and success.

The Keys To This Discussion:

• Understanding what is a Pro Style Offense.
• Understanding the basic extensions used with a pro set that forms a Pro Style Offense.
• Understand what Richt is asking the QB (Kayaa) to do.
• Understand what you are actually seeing when you watch the offense on the field.
• Understand why the principles, concepts and schemes used in each extension is so important to learn and takes so long to master.

Before we can properly critique Richt as an OC we must first have an understanding of pro style offenses. Then the next question we will need to answer - Is Richt an architect, implementer, both or neither?

[video=youtube;cr-QbI1Ke1Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr-QbI1Ke1Y[/video]

App State:

[video=youtube;STbXcFHL0Nk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STbXcFHL0Nk[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
Richt calling plays in 2005 with DJ Shockley at QB

This looks nothing like the **** Richt is forced to run this year with our crappy OL and statue QB.

Wheel routes, TEs down the seam, fake reverses, deep posts, QB off tackle run

[video=youtube;Syu8jx_BA94]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syu8jx_BA94[/video]

This looks nothing like the **** Richt is forced to run this year with our crappy OL and statue QB.

Man, I wish Brad could run just a little bit like that. What a big different it would make!!!

Solid work op. Kaaya will only get better every week. We just faced the most talented team on our schedule. It'll get better

Last edited:
Advertisement

N'kosi in that offense ohhweee

Advertisement
I just want to see us spread more teams out in more 4wide sets...

I understand Richt probably doesn't want to run that due to our horrible OL & we most likely need to keep a TE in for blocking, but I think it would not only help the passing game, but also help the run game as well.

Our Play Action game this year has been below average, nearly every time Kaaya rolls outs he has a defender in his face or he either holds onto it too long and can't hit his first level read in stride.

I also haven't seen too many sophisticated routes, it seems the route tree has been very limited... Idk how much of that is guys not being able to get separation & get open, or just Kaaya not being on time and holding onto the ball for too long.

But, to me the biggest problem has been Redzone Offense... Waaaaay too many times we've gotten down in the Redzone and had to settle for FG's. With the weapons we have, we should rarely not score a TD in the Redzone.

It's completely unacceptable that Joku doesn't have at least 3 or 4TD's this season & I don't put that on him.

I'm starting to hear a lot about our receivers not getting separation.

When did it become such a problem for two future NFL receivers in Coley and Richards to get separation at the college level?

How come Njoku got all kinds of separation last year and apparently get any this year? Did he get slower and weaker?

Call it what you want, it's boring af. Appreciate the post tho.

Who gives af if its boring?

I want to win. That's all the entertainment I need.

Style points count, bruh. While your point is absolutely true, all I can say is we're winning, right now. Let's see how we do going forward w this stuff.

Defense is where the excitement is on the team now.

With this OL, we can't play in vanilla sets, and think we're going to success... We gotta have quick passes, or something that's going to keep the defense guessing. If not RPO, then pistol formation, or something else quirky!

But a 2-back set against good teams with stout d-lineman - it won't work out for us!!

Linder will get over-powered, McDermott is too slow-footed, Isadora might be alright if he knew who to block, Sunny still learning the game and can be out-smarted, and Darling would make an excellent guard, but is forced to play out of position.

I say roll the dice and go with this: LT-St Louis, LG-Darling....F%$k it, we screwed!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
I wouldn't say they don't get separation, in general. When facing FSU they matched up well with the route combinations we were using but I wouldn't say any other team could stick with our players with those routes.

When did it become such a problem for two future NFL receivers in Coley and Richards to get separation at the college level?

How come Njoku got all kinds of separation last year and apparently get any this year? Did he get slower and weaker?
I don't think it's them, I think it's the routes they're running & Kaaya being a slow read.

Vs FSU, it seemed liked our WR's were too easily defended, because they were running routes that gave their DB's an advantage against us.

I don't think it's on the WR's, I think Richt has to be more creative in getting them the ball & Kaaya needs to deliver the ball on time and stop standing back there like he has all day to scan the field.

He should know by now his OL can't keep him blocked for no longer than 3-4seconds tops. Problem is, Kaaya is only good with a clean pocket.

When your QB has less time in the pocket, your WRs have less time to gain separation downfield.

Coley and Richards did get open against FSU at times - underneath routes only (slants).

Notice that when we played App St (and they couldn't immediately get to our QB) we hit plays downfield, and TE over the middle for a TD.

Gonna take a few years unfortunately to get it to an elite level though. And it has nothing to do with our skill position players.

Advertisement
Before we can properly critique Richt as an OC we must first have an understanding of pro style offenses. Then the next question we will need to answer is Richt an architect, implementer or both?

[video=youtube;-2er9ixrIOI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2er9ixrIOI[/video]

Last edited:

Its because posters need excuses why we were so bad vs FSU and don't want to assign blame to Richt.

Advertisement
Back