Let me give some props to Julio Frenk for a minute here...

Shalala hired Blake, and Frenk, for all intents and purposes.

Fck Fake. That bytchass schmoe had nothing to do with this. And LOL at Shalala hiring Frenk.

Right. She and him held the same cabinet positions in their respective countries, with a little overlap. He went on to Harvard and shortly thereafter she was strongly considered for the Presidency in 2007 (while labor going on at the U damaged her public image), before they eventually hired their first female president Drew Gilpin Faust. She tried to recruit him to the U before but he was already at Harvard and had higher aspirations. Laugh all you want, but their careers have crossed paths for a decade and she knows him better than anyone on our BOT. His eventual appointment isn't by sheer coincidence.
Your little narrative sounds exactly like coincidence.

think chess, not checkers.

No reason not to believe Shalala and Frenk knew of each other professionally. And no reason to not believe the BOT solicited her opinion along with the opinion of many others.

Advertisement
So since Donna announced she was leaving: Golden was fired, the university ponied up for a legitimate, experienced head coach with money to surround him with a decent staff, and an indoor practice facility is in the works. Yet we are supposed to believe that all of this is coincidental and would have still happened if Donna was here? Nah, I'm not buying that.

Fck Fake. That bytchass schmoe had nothing to do with this. And LOL at Shalala hiring Frenk.

Right. She and him held the same cabinet positions in their respective countries, with a little overlap. He went on to Harvard and shortly thereafter she was strongly considered for the Presidency in 2007 (while labor going on at the U damaged her public image), before they eventually hired their first female president Drew Gilpin Faust. She tried to recruit him to the U before but he was already at Harvard and had higher aspirations. Laugh all you want, but their careers have crossed paths for a decade and she knows him better than anyone on our BOT. His eventual appointment isn't by sheer coincidence.

No reason not to believe Shalala and Frenk knew of each other professionally. And no reason to not believe the BOT solicited her opinion along with the opinion of many others.

Exactly, Shalala didn't make the hire herself, but someone who was as popular as she was would have a voice in that room. They needed someone who could fundraise, but would spend most of their time cleaning up the nonsense going on at the Med School. Frenk fit that profile. No top tier school selects their President based on his stance on athletics. Frankly, the schools that do think that way are the kind of institutions you wouldn't want to send your child to.

Exactly, Shalala didn't make the hire herself, but someone who was as popular as she was would have a voice in that room. They needed someone who could fundraise, but would spend most of their time cleaning up the nonsense going on at the Med School. Frenk fit that profile. No top tier school selects their President based on his stance on athletics. Frankly, the schools that do think that way are the kind of institutions you wouldn't want to send your child to.

Let me understand, there is nonsense going on at the Med School, Donna's pride and joy. At the same time you allege she was popular. That is strange. I have no doubt Frenk was brought to clean up the complete disaster Donna's "superb" efforts and ridiculously over priced acquisitions left us in. It is just a pleasant surprise that he wants to rub our football team in the noses of all the Anglo elitist presidents at the other schools. I am now glad we hired him, but a bankruptcy expert specializing in clawing back monies from former CEOs might have be a more logical choice.

...and an indoor practice facility is in the works. Yet we are supposed to believe that all of this is coincidental and would have still happened if Donna was here? Nah, I'm not buying that.

IF Miami had repeated the "up and coming" model and paid bottom 1/2 or middle money, no IPF happens. Not any closer than when Big Al was here.

IPF is happening because thats part of the bill for elite staff...they want to work in and around elite facilities...

BOT recognized part of deal to get Richt was to reinvigorate effort for IPF...

Advertisement

Let me understand, there is nonsense going on at the Med School, Donna's pride and joy. At the same time you allege she was popular. That is strange. I have no doubt Frenk was brought to clean up the complete disaster Donna's "superb" efforts and ridiculously over priced acquisitions left us in. It is just a pleasant surprise that he wants to rub our football team in the noses of all the Anglo elitist presidents at the other schools. I am now glad we hired him, but a bankruptcy expert specializing in clawing back monies from former CEOs might have be a more logical choice.

Donna was a hands off delegater, which meant that the dean of the Med School was allowed to run his department, and it didn't work out as planned. Frenk is a little more hands on. There were also some personal reasons why Dr. Shalala decided to walk away. Her mother was declining health wise, and it was taking a toll. The Clinton Foundation isn't nearly as stressful, especially when you look at the fact that she was there merely to provide a decent face to what had been a PR challenged organization. The "Dr. Frenk is making this happen" argument is flawed. For example, I have a huge boulder in my front yard, my house has never been broken into, does that mean that rock is responsible? No, it just happens to be a coincidence. Frenk coming at the time he came was a coincidence, you could replace his name with any of the other finalists, and this would have most likely happened anyway.

Here is why Frenk was hired (all components significant factors)

- 1st ever latino President of Top 50 institution
- HARVARD Department Chair
- x4...yes...x4...his Department's fundraising hauls since he arrived...and that Department was already #1 in the WORLD
- He is an medical academic research expert...wants to make Miami a regional (to include Carribean and Latin America) academic powerhouse (even more thn already) with a latino bent...why? because that niche doesnt exist anywhere and he thinks (rightfully so) that it will catapult Miami to Top 20 in the next 20-30 years....the importance of that cant be understated

Donna was a hands off delegater, which meant that the dean of the Med School was allowed to run his department, and it didn't work out as planned. Frenk is a little more hands on. There were also some personal reasons why Dr. Shalala decided to walk away. Her mother was declining health wise, and it was taking a toll. The Clinton Foundation isn't nearly as stressful, especially when you look at the fact that she was there merely to provide a decent face to what had been a PR challenged organization. The "Dr. Frenk is making this happen" argument is flawed. For example, I have a huge boulder in my front yard, my house has never been broken into, does that mean that rock is responsible? No, it just happens to be a coincidence. Frenk coming at the time he came was a coincidence, you could replace his name with any of the other finalists, and this would have most likely happened anyway.

I do not buy that a person who was extremely hands on with the football program would not be hands on in an area she supposedly knew something about. Your statement to the contrary does not make it true. Did she fire this dean? When? Wouldn't "hands off delegater", by necessity be a good judge of talent?

Donna's crowning achievement, the U Health acquisition splurge is a financial disaster. She paid several times the value of almost everything. It could well bankrupt the university before everything it done. You blind defense of her and claim to inside information about her family and traits leads me to ask, are you related to her?

...and an indoor practice facility is in the works. Yet we are supposed to believe that all of this is coincidental and would have still happened if Donna was here? Nah, I'm not buying that.

IF Miami had repeated the "up and coming" model and paid bottom 1/2 or middle money, no IPF happens. Not any closer than when Big Al was here.

IPF is happening because thats part of the bill for elite staff...they want to work in and around elite facilities...

We got lucky with Richt and, IF, Golden had hired a competent DC he might still be here.

Advertisement

I do not buy that a person who was extremely hands on with the football program would not be hands on in an area she supposedly knew something about. Your statement to the contrary does not make it true. Did she fire this dean? When? Wouldn't "hands off delegater", by necessity be a good judge of talent?

Donna's crowning achievement, the U Health acquisition splurge is a financial disaster. She paid several times the value of almost everything. It could well bankrupt the university before everything it done. You blind defense of her and claim to inside information about her family and traits leads me to ask, are you related to her?

She wasn't hands on with the football program. Where do you get that nonsense? She was very supportive but never made decisions. Your premise starts wrong.. Come again.

Plenty of people noticed and pointed out her ineptitude and active interference in the program.

I would say it rose to the level of tortious interference. Prepare the pleadings!

What active interference? Show me one example you can at least partially substantiate in print.
How about her insistence on meeting every kid on OVs, so should could then decide which kids weren't 'culturally' fit for UM, and then have her staff inform the program of this, nixing their recruitment.

Where do you idiots get this stupid crap from? The staff asked her to meet potential recruits, because she's a likable person, a lot of recruits stated that meeting the President of the institution, and her being interested in their academic futures, as well as them on the field was a positive. Remember, people like Ed Reed and others LOVED her, they saw her as a drastic change from Tad, who merely tolerated them. Dr. Shalala wanted to see these kids succeed in life, period. She didn't look at them as prize bulls, she saw them as part of the student body. That's a rarity in collegiate athletics. There will always be a divide between people who have been on campus, and understand how things happen, and those who actually think Billy Corben's nonsense is accurate, but this is insane. At least have a rational argument besides "Shalala was personally culling the recruit list".
You have no idea what you are talking about.

I would say it rose to the level of tortious interference. Prepare the pleadings!

What active interference? Show me one example you can at least partially substantiate in print.
How about her insistence on meeting every kid on OVs, so should could then decide which kids weren't 'culturally' fit for UM, and then have her staff inform the program of this, nixing their recruitment.

Where do you idiots get this stupid crap from? The staff asked her to meet potential recruits, because she's a likable person, a lot of recruits stated that meeting the President of the institution, and her being interested in their academic futures, as well as them on the field was a positive. Remember, people like Ed Reed and others LOVED her, they saw her as a drastic change from Tad, who merely tolerated them. Dr. Shalala wanted to see these kids succeed in life, period. She didn't look at them as prize bulls, she saw them as part of the student body. That's a rarity in collegiate athletics. There will always be a divide between people who have been on campus, and understand how things happen, and those who actually think Billy Corben's nonsense is accurate, but this is insane. At least have a rational argument besides "Shalala was personally culling the recruit list".

Yea, like Willie Williams? She culled him? Dude came in with problems, made problems and left with problems despite a ton of support put in place for him to succeed at Donna's behest. People are so ***-backwards on this woman I have no problem coming to her defense. I'm not holier than anyone because I was a 2000s grad, but i'd be damned if you lie on U when you never set foot on campus. The U football program belongs to the city of Miami and no grad will ever claim superior fandom for having paid tuition. It's not how we roll, but some like to put us at opposition to local fans to make themselves feel comfortable in their own skin.
Or maybe she regretted him, and culled others.

We got lucky with Richt and, IF, Golden had hired a competent DC he might still be here.
Now I know you don't know what you are talking about D'Onofrio was an idiot, but he was simply running Golden's scheme.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back