Let me give some props to Julio Frenk for a minute here...

How about sticking us with Randy Shannon as a head coach because she did not want to pay the going rate for a coach with experience?

Advertisement
How about sticking us with Randy Shannon as a head coach because she did not want to pay the going rate for a coach with experience?

I'm no Shalala defender...but the UM President (nor any D1P5 President) has ZERO decision authority for that hire and fire. That is the purview solely of the BOT and key influential donors.

Also, why did they hire Shannon on the cheap?

Easy. Learn history.

It was UM's model since Schnellenberger and FINALLY stopped with Richt.

Schnellenberger, Johnson, Erickson, Davis, Coker, Shannon, Golden....every single one of them were 1) not established "big program" coaches and 2) none of them, to include staff, were paid "destination" job salaries.

From the BOT perspective, the model "worked" through Davis. It didnt work with Coker, they repeated the mistake with Shannon, and stubbornly refused to see D1P5 passed them by with Golden's high risk-high reward hire (and he even flirted with PSU). I would argue the VT-Fuentes marriage is somewhat similar (not saying he is awful like Golden) to Miami.bringing on Big Al and company. Anyone who hires Hermann is doing tje same, but it sounds like that man is going to get destination money right from the beginning.

What worked in D1P5 simply isnt working today. Programs are just going to have to pay destination salary if they have any chance of recruiting AND retaining elite level staff.

That dude could have canceled this **** like a reactionary facquit or moved the game and wound up fcking us by making us play 3 games in 10 days. Nope. He wagged that gangly finger and said, "No, sir."

Julio Frenk is a mexican gangster. I gotta give that dude respect. He's like those dudes who will cut your face off and sew it on a soccer ball in mexico.

FSU wanted out of this **** badly. Shalala would have bent over backwards and either canceled the game or moved it somewhere where we'd have no home field advantage. Frenk just looked at those faquits and said, "Me barrio! Me barrio!" as he bashed them about the head with a pillow case full of cans of refried beans.

Shalala hired Blake, and Frenk, for all intents and purposes.

Fck Fake. That bytchass schmoe had nothing to do with this. And LOL at Shalala hiring Frenk.

Right. She and him held the same cabinet positions in their respective countries, with a little overlap. He went on to Harvard and shortly thereafter she was strongly considered for the Presidency in 2007 (while labor going on at the U damaged her public image), before they eventually hired their first female president Drew Gilpin Faust. She tried to recruit him to the U before but he was already at Harvard and had higher aspirations. Laugh all you want, but their careers have crossed paths for a decade and she knows him better than anyone on our BOT. His eventual appointment isn't by sheer coincidence.
Your little narrative sounds exactly like coincidence.

Advertisement
The more progress I see since she has left in that short of time tells me she was more of a pain than she was anything. I knew there were some problems but there's been so much progress since she left it had to be more than anyone though!
Plenty of people noticed and pointed out her ineptitude and active interference in the program.

I would say it rose to the level of tortious interference. Prepare the pleadings!

What active interference? Show me one example you can at least partially substantiate in print.
How about her insistence on meeting every kid on OVs, so should could then decide which kids weren't 'culturally' fit for UM, and then have her staff inform the program of this, nixing their recruitment.

Where do you idiots get this stupid crap from? The staff asked her to meet potential recruits, because she's a likable person, a lot of recruits stated that meeting the President of the institution, and her being interested in their academic futures, as well as them on the field was a positive. Remember, people like Ed Reed and others LOVED her, they saw her as a drastic change from Tad, who merely tolerated them. Dr. Shalala wanted to see these kids succeed in life, period. She didn't look at them as prize bulls, she saw them as part of the student body. That's a rarity in collegiate athletics. There will always be a divide between people who have been on campus, and understand how things happen, and those who actually think Billy Corben's nonsense is accurate, but this is insane. At least have a rational argument besides "Shalala was personally culling the recruit list".

Julio Frenk is a mexican gangster. I gotta give that dude respect. He's like those dudes who will cut your face off and sew it on a soccer ball in mexico.

Frenk just looked at those faquits and said, "Me barrio! Me barrio!" as he bashed them about the head with a pillow case full of cans of refried beans.

T

E

A

R

S

...There will always be a divide between people who have been on campus, and understand how things happen, and those who actually think...nonsense is accurate...At least have a rational argument besides "Shalala was personally culling recruits...

That argument is 100% lost on same gray matter who post here...like cant even grasp that concept...

HOWEVER...just because someone is an almuni...that doesnt put them in any position to know how the Admin, AD, etc worked...what does are those of us who actually were there (in various eras)...Im a Foote survivor myself...and I saw through other insiders Shalala...my interaction with her was meetings at HHS with 1000 other people in room...

wrt to Foote...its not that he disliked football or athletes...its just he didnt really recognize as worth noticing ANYONE who wasnt an academic in his circle or who wasnt a democrat power broker (he later hitched his wagon to Bill Clinton...he was a late comer to that party)...Foote inherited lightning in a bottle with the AD as a whole...he just stayed out of their way 99% of the time...

I'm no Shalala defender...but the UM President (nor any D1P5 President) has ZERO decision authority for that hire and fire. That is the purview solely of the BOT and key influential donors.

Also, why did they hire Shannon on the cheap?

Easy. Learn history.

It was UM's model since Schnellenberger and FINALLY stopped with Richt.

Schnellenberger, Johnson, Erickson, Davis, Coker, Shannon, Golden....every single one of them were 1) not established "big program" coaches and 2) none of them, to include staff, were paid "destination" job salaries.

From the BOT perspective, the model "worked" through Davis. It didnt work with Coker, they repeated the mistake with Shannon, and stubbornly refused to see D1P5 passed them by with Golden's high risk-high reward hire (and he even flirted with PSU). I would argue the VT-Fuentes marriage is somewhat similar (not saying he is awful like Golden) to Miami.bringing on Big Al and company. Anyone who hires Hermann is doing tje same, but it sounds like that man is going to get destination money right from the beginning.

What worked in D1P5 simply isnt working today. Programs are just going to have to pay destination salary if they have any chance of recruiting AND retaining elite level staff.
So much spin in this post.
1) You are kidding yourself if you really believe Shalala had no input in hiring Randy
2) Since you condescendingly told me to "learn history", please enlighten me as to the last time prior to Shannon UM hired a coach from the very same staff that was just fired for running the program into a ditch. Go ahead, I'll hang up and listen.

Advertisement
...So much spin in this post.
1) You are kidding yourself if you really believe Shalala had no input in hiring Randy
2) Since you condescendingly told me to "learn history", please enlighten me as to the last time prior to Shannon UM hired a coach from the very same staff that was just fired for running the program into a ditch. Go ahead, I'll hang up and listen.

JJCoif...

You are kidding yourself if you think she had a single bit of meaningful input into hires, fires, or the general d-t-d ops of the AD...

I re-read what was posted...ouch..my bad..didnt mean to.come.across as condescending...what I meant to say was..

Let's review and learn from.history...not pretending to instruct u..my bad on that...but to your point....

I dont get it...what does it have to do with the model of how Miami paid (and therefore ultimately decided) how to select a replacement HC...what I went tjrough is accurate 100%...its.wasnt a part of tje larger point I was making as to "where" a Miami.HC came from...they all had a similar theme...

please pick.back up the line...hahahaah

...So much spin in this post...

And let me reiterate...Im.no Shalala fan...

But just because some view her tenure with a negative eye, that doesn't make her responsible for the Kennedy assassination or global warming or "wrecking the AD"...

Much to criticize her for...the health system acquisition putting product lines in direct competition with public $$ at Jackson Memorial...the overall strife at the worldclass med school, the massive breakdown of internal.control over med accounting, unnecessary labor strife...etc...towards the end, several BOT were unhappy..and in fact one high profile member resigned in protest (Frenk trying to get him.back in some capacity)...

people are giving her management skills too much credit by thinking she wrecked tje AD...

at Miami, the President is a figure head only wrt to AD...that office acts exclusively on behalf of tje BOT and sub-committees...

JJCoif...

You are kidding yourself if you think she had a single bit of meaningful input into hires, fires, or the general d-t-d ops of the AD...

I re-read what was posted...ouch..my bad..didnt mean to.come.across as condescending...what I meant to say was..

Let's review and learn from.history...not pretending to instruct u..my bad on that...but to your point....

I dont get it...what does it have to do with the model of how Miami paid (and therefore ultimately decided) how to select a replacement HC...what I went tjrough is accurate 100%...its.wasnt a part of tje larger point I was making as to "where" a Miami.HC came from...they all had a similar theme...

While Howard and Jimmy may have not been the most expensive coaches on the market when Miami hired them, they both had more extensive head coaching experience than Shannon. There really is no parallel with the Shannon hire. Miami went the cheap route with Shannon and it bit them on the ***.

JJCoif...

While Howard and Jimmy may have not been the most expensive coaches on the market when Miami hired them, they both had more extensive head coaching experience than Shannon. There really is no parallel with the Shannon hire. Miami went the cheap route with Shannon and it bit them on the ***.

Howard had one year of HC experience before the took the Miami job. He was a career NFL assistant, that had gone 4-10 in is one year leading the Baltimore Colts. That said, Howard was a unique hire, and even that hire was more about Howard(and his wife) believing that he wouldn't get another NFL head coaching job, so he was best served by coaching at the collegiate level. Miami tried to go with the "Miami Guy" nonsense with Shannon, and it failed. Frankly, this program should have looked for new blood, at the time, and went outside the family. The BOT and AD let the older alumni make the decision for them, which turned out to be a mistake.

Advertisement
...Miami went the cheap route with Shannon and it bit them on the ***.

Until Richt and staff, Miami has ALWAYS gone the cheap route. Miami never paid destination money.

Schnellenberger was an HC for only 1 year, in 73 if memory serves of the Baltimore Colts, he had no other HC experience prior to the Canes. Howards claim to fame was 1) he was Bear Bryants most beloved assistant, 2) OC of the Dolphins undefeated season.

Johnson's HC experience was as OS Who??? (at that time) Okie State...I think he had some AsstHC duties at Pitt or Syracuse prior...I think Pitt...id have to check...

Again...my point was the Miami model prior to Richt was hiring "up and coming" lesser known talent and paying the middle money at best...tjat why our Canes kept losing ALL OF THEM either because they moved on to "better" or were fired.

Richt and staff is tje first time.EVER Miami has paid top dollar for big name.staff talent...

...The BOT and AD let the older alumni make the decision for them...

Exactly. True to their model, they gave the chance to an "upside" candidate who also happened to be a popular insider. Shannon has a compelling personal narrative and some BOTrs thought he would turn into Miami's Eddie Robinson...with NC success, Shannon wouldn't have left Miami for a billion dollars. He was Orange and Green through and through...sadly...he just wasnt ready, and probably still isnt, for the responsibilities in leading a D1P5 program.

You would think the BOT had learned from the exact same mistakenthey made with Coker...some lessons just need to be reinforced a few times over before it sinks in...

Who are the sidewalk alums?

Anyone who carries that shalala bad for football narrative. And if you're not a sidewalk cane then you don't understand the way universities work.

Whatever.
I do know that she had no clue how football programs work.
She was a loser.
And as someone who grew up in Miami, attended games as a kid and has had several little league and high school
buddies, and even a HS coach, represent our hometown by becoming Canes, I find your "sidewalk Cane" schtick
curious.
You sound like a bent-pinkie douche-bag who wears an ascot with matching salmon colored pants.

Nah, i'm far from that. If you saw me you wouldn't think anything like that. I respect your fandom, for real. But don't think you know what happens on campus because you went to the OB and some of your peeps played ball. Let them tell that mess and it will still be the same.

Fair enough.
I just think she was terrible for UM athletics.
When she took over the University, UM football and baseball were elite, and hoops was getting there.
A few years under her watch and football is a joke and so was hoops before Coach L sorta fell into our
lap.

So you're saying she should have hired Barry Alvarez instead of deferring to the players and Paul Dee? I agree, in the short term there would have been noise but longterm we would have continued the dynasty. If you think any one president has so much say over athletics in a major university like the U, how did we win 5 chips under Tad Foote who was in direct opposition to the culture fostered within the program? Also, see Baylor and all their problems...Hurricanes are cyclical boss. It was our time and take a step back and it just happened to coincide with Donna's arrival. We won number 5 "under" her and she left the department alone. The only thing I would say she did was advocate for Randy because she believes in diversity and thought he was deserving of the opportunity. Otherwise all she's done is pick ADs; including this one. BOT runs programs. It's easy for people who have no real clue to blame Donna but it's not that simple.

Last edited:
Advertisement
...So much spin in this post...

And let me reiterate...Im.no Shalala fan...

But just because some view her tenure with a negative eye, that doesn't make her responsible for the Kennedy assassination or global warming or "wrecking the AD"...

Much to criticize her for...the health system acquisition putting product lines in direct competition with public $$ at Jackson Memorial...the overall strife at the worldclass med school, the massive breakdown of internal.control over med accounting, unnecessary labor strife...etc...towards the end, several BOT were unhappy..and in fact one high profile member resigned in protest (Frenk trying to get him.back in some capacity)...

people are giving her management skills too much credit by thinking she wrecked tje AD...

at Miami, the President is a figure head only wrt to AD...that office acts exclusively on behalf of tje BOT and sub-committees...

This man knows what he speaks. She was a very well-intended and competent delegator. Very hands-off and not nearly as overreaching as many think.. She left the UMed decision to the dean of the Med school who didn't want to move the med school to Mount Sinai for logistical reasons, which turned out to be the big mistake of her tenure.. When they moved to Cedars it was the beginning of the end in many respects, but she could have stayed as long as she wanted.

Last edited:

JJCoif...

Howard had one year of HC experience before the took the Miami job. He was a career NFL assistant, that had gone 4-10 in is one year leading the Baltimore Colts. That said, Howard was a unique hire, and even that hire was more about Howard(and his wife) believing that he wouldn't get another NFL head coaching job, so he was best served by coaching at the collegiate level. Miami tried to go with the "Miami Guy" nonsense with Shannon, and it failed. Frankly, this program should have looked for new blood, at the time, and went outside the family. The BOT and AD let the older alumni make the decision for them, which turned out to be a mistake.

She should have hired Alvarez. It started by leaving Coker in.

Plenty of people noticed and pointed out her ineptitude and active interference in the program.

I would say it rose to the level of tortious interference. Prepare the pleadings!

What active interference? Show me one example you can at least partially substantiate in print.
How about her insistence on meeting every kid on OVs, so should could then decide which kids weren't 'culturally' fit for UM, and then have her staff inform the program of this, nixing their recruitment.

Where do you idiots get this stupid crap from? The staff asked her to meet potential recruits, because she's a likable person, a lot of recruits stated that meeting the President of the institution, and her being interested in their academic futures, as well as them on the field was a positive. Remember, people like Ed Reed and others LOVED her, they saw her as a drastic change from Tad, who merely tolerated them. Dr. Shalala wanted to see these kids succeed in life, period. She didn't look at them as prize bulls, she saw them as part of the student body. That's a rarity in collegiate athletics. There will always be a divide between people who have been on campus, and understand how things happen, and those who actually think Billy Corben's nonsense is accurate, but this is insane. At least have a rational argument besides "Shalala was personally culling the recruit list".

Yea, like Willie Williams? She culled him? Dude came in with problems, made problems and left with problems despite a ton of support put in place for him to succeed at Donna's behest. People are so ***-backwards on this woman I have no problem coming to her defense. I'm not holier than anyone because I was a 2000s grad, but i'd be damned if you lie on U when you never set foot on campus. The U football program belongs to the city of Miami and no grad will ever claim superior fandom for having paid tuition. It's not how we roll, but some like to put us at opposition to local fans to make themselves feel comfortable in their own skin.

Last edited:
That dude could have canceled this **** like a reactionary facquit or moved the game and wound up fcking us by making us play 3 games in 10 days. Nope. He wagged that gangly finger and said, "No, sir."

FSU wanted out of this **** badly. Shalala would have bent over backwards and either canceled the game or moved it somewhere where we'd have no home field advantage. Frenk just looked at those faquits and said, "Me barrio! Me barrio!" as he bashed them about the head with a pillow case full of cans of refried beans.

Shalala hired Blake, and Frenk, for all intents and purposes.

Fck Fake. That bytchass schmoe had nothing to do with this. And LOL at Shalala hiring Frenk.

Right. She and him held the same cabinet positions in their respective countries, with a little overlap. He went on to Harvard and shortly thereafter she was strongly considered for the Presidency in 2007 (while labor going on at the U damaged her public image), before they eventually hired their first female president Drew Gilpin Faust. She tried to recruit him to the U before but he was already at Harvard and had higher aspirations. Laugh all you want, but their careers have crossed paths for a decade and she knows him better than anyone on our BOT. His eventual appointment isn't by sheer coincidence.
Your little narrative sounds exactly like coincidence.

think chess, not checkers.

Advertisement
Back