Let’s talk tackling and wrasslin brother

Does anyone know what style of tackling the staff teaches? (Yes, make all your jokes now). What I mean is are they proponents of the rugby-style tackling that Pete Carroll popularized (Rocky Seto was the architect) or do they teach traditional tackling techniques?
Diaz made a big deal about hawk tackling iirc. Apparently it's predicated on taking the worst possible angle and launching yourself into the nearest blocker instead of tackling the ball carrier.

Advertisement
I was listening to a Manny Diaz interview where he said it’s hard to practice tackling because of possible injuries and depth at rb. Which made me think of an old wrasslin reference that kinda connects with tackling. Growing up I was a big wrestling fan, I was a smart mark before that was a term.

I listen to a lot of podcast’s by former wrestlers that talk about their days on the road. they always mention that taking a bump isn’t natural to your body , kinda like tackling They also say the less bumps you take the worse your body reacts when do take them. Your body eventually gets used to the contact with the mat , the more reps the better your can handle it , It’s like your body gets callused / hardened by the constant bumping and the reps become second nature with how you fall.

Which brings me back to tackling . Tackling is like anything else , you need reps. Just like a jump shot or taking swings in the batting cage. Using a tire , a sled or thud isn’t tackling another man. Injuries are part of the game but you have to take that chance with something as big as tackling. It’s the most important part of the game.

Back when I started playing ball I was very tentative and intimidated by tackling and tackling drills. But one thing our coaches did was have multiple tackling days , different drills that challenged you from different angles and different positions to help with reaction. I ended up one of our better tacklers and tbh we were a really good tackling team. Thats a far lower level but I know for a fact it’s necessary, practice makes perfect.

I also believe like taking a bump tacking and being tackled trains both parties on how to handle the contact and how to go to the ground. I don’t recall one injury in our tackling drills , in the three years I played. I’m not saying you should have physical war daily but the results match what I’ve always heard about our practices , they lack physicality versus other programs.

The proof is in the pudding , Miami is the worst tackling team in the country. We have a minimum of 20 every game and 30 last game. If that doesn’t tell Manny about his practice habits nothing will.

This is why I’m so pro Mario and Alonzo. Smart people that are competitive , believe in physicality , toughness and knows what Miami is supposed to look like.

The practices at the old Greentree were more brutal than the games as anyone who's been around the program for a while knows.

I was listening to a Manny Diaz interview where he said it’s hard to practice tackling because of possible injuries and depth at rb. Which made me think of an old wrasslin reference that kinda connects with tackling. Growing up I was a big wrestling fan, I was a smart mark before that was a term.

I listen to a lot of podcast’s by former wrestlers that talk about their days on the road. they always mention that taking a bump isn’t natural to your body , kinda like tackling They also say the less bumps you take the worse your body reacts when do take them. Your body eventually gets used to the contact with the mat , the more reps the better your can handle it , It’s like your body gets callused / hardened by the constant bumping and the reps become second nature with how you fall.

Which brings me back to tackling . Tackling is like anything else , you need reps. Just like a jump shot or taking swings in the batting cage. Using a tire , a sled or thud isn’t tackling another man. Injuries are part of the game but you have to take that chance with something as big as tackling. It’s the most important part of the game.

Back when I started playing ball I was very tentative and intimidated by tackling and tackling drills. But one thing our coaches did was have multiple tackling days , different drills that challenged you from different angles and different positions to help with reaction. I ended up one of our better tacklers and tbh we were a really good tackling team. Thats a far lower level but I know for a fact it’s necessary, practice makes perfect.

I also believe like taking a bump tacking and being tackled trains both parties on how to handle the contact and how to go to the ground. I don’t recall one injury in our tackling drills , in the three years I played. I’m not saying you should have physical war daily but the results match what I’ve always heard about our practices , they lack physicality versus other programs.

The proof is in the pudding , Miami is the worst tackling team in the country. We have a minimum of 20 every game and 30 last game. If that doesn’t tell Manny about his practice habits nothing will.

This is why I’m so pro Mario and Alonzo. Smart people that are competitive , believe in physicality , toughness and knows what Miami is supposed to look like.
Here is what doesn't make sense, Shoop, T-Rob, Simpson should all be screaming about the lack of tackling. Either those guys are being completely ignored OR they need to go as well as they aren't making a big enough deal about it. I'd put player personnel in the same boat. How can those guys not be hammering on Manny's door about the players who are getting snaps?

Is Dabo a jerk? Is Kiffin? Is Ryan Day? I don't think these guys are jerks. There are many ways to skin a cat, for every Saban you have a Lincoln Riley.
Please don’t let Dabos country “awww shucks” attitude on TV fool you. Dude is fking cutthroat. It is his way or the high way in practice and in general. And then you have the foaming pitbull that is Venables. Dude has a GA whose job all game long is to pull him back so he doesn’t get a penalty during games for running on the field.

There's a reason why trainers in boxing have their guys spar a certain amount of rounds -- but make sure they aren't gym wars

I was able to see Manny Pacquiao spar hundreds of rounds throughout the years, many times he didn't look great, but he was doing the necessary evil. Oftentimes he looked very average and he looked bored -- but he and Freddie Roach knew they had to get through this part of camp (three days a week, 8-12 rounds depending on how close the fight was)

Diazster is that trainer that just has his boxers do fancy mitt routines, throwing flashy 50 punch combos (that cant be executed in fights) and then he wonders why his guys wilt in real fights

Iron has to sharpen iron

That will never change..

Advertisement
There's a reason why trainers in boxing have their guys spar a certain amount of rounds -- but make sure they aren't gym wars

I was able to see Manny Pacquiao spar hundreds of rounds throughout the years, many times he didn't look great, but he was doing the necessary evil. Oftentimes he looked very average and he looked bored -- but he and Freddie Roach knew they had to get through this part of camp (three days a week, 8-12 rounds depending on how close the fight was)

Diazster is that trainer that just has his boxers do fancy mitt routines, throwing flashy 50 punch combos (that cant be executed in fights) and then he wonders why his guys wilt in real fights

Iron has to sharpen iron

That will never change..
Excellent parallel!

Can we all agree Mandy is one dumbazz ***** mother fker? Get him the fk out of here already!

Please don’t let Dabos country “awww shucks” attitude on TV fool you. Dude is fking cutthroat. It is his way or the high way in practice and in general. And then you have the foaming pitbull that is Venables. Dude has a GA whose job all game long is to pull him back so he doesn’t get a penalty during games for running on the field.
Assuming the other posters jerk comment was in response to mine - the HC doesn't have to be an 80's movie, John Hughes manufactured jerk. But, he MUST have the fear and respect of the players. Butch wasn't considered a jerk by the press, but you better believe he was a "jerk" when it was just him and the players.

Not sitting Mallory after he dropped the TD that probably would've irrevocably changed the complexion of the game and given Manny an undeserved W, was symptomatic of everything that's wrong with his leadership. Mallory looks completely disinterested and doesn't care. Will costs you the game? Keep playing him, and not that stud true frosh.

Soft.

Advertisement

Iron has to sharpen iron

That will never change..
I’m using a real sport as a real example , not that fake boxing ****.

Your experience matches mine to a tee.

I learned what football was when I was 9 years old. We had a guy that eventually signed with Indiana and went on to make some practice squads in the league. He was by far our hardest hitter and would blow guys up in every matchup. One day in a 1 on 1 tackling drill I was the ball carrier and I counted the line to see who my match up would be. Oh lord! IT’S HIM! When I got the ball, I tried to tip toe thinking it would reduce the impact. Oh the silly things that cross a child’s mind. That mu****er exploded out of his stance and hit me SO HARD. Shoulder in the gut, air lifted and slammed on my back. I like to died right there on the field. When I finally was able to breath, I said “Never again”. I would mimic the tackling and blocking technique the coaches showed and attack whoever was in front of with everything I had. Anything else just gets you hurt was the lesson I learned that fateful day.

Even through high school we NEVER got serious injuries in full contact tackling drills. Worst case was getting the wind knocked out.

Serious injuries are usually fluke plays. Stepping in a cleat hole, leg trapped under you when you fall, someone falling on your leg, landing on your hand or shoulder wrong. The ground causes most of this stuff.

It is absolutely true that repeated contact hardens the body. Look at martial arts. They slap rocks gently but repeatedly for a half hour to hour a day and it makes your hands like steel. They use hard wood or bambo dummy’s to practice strikes that toughens bones and flesh over time.

When you you developed a fiery, aggressive team that is REALLY killing each other in practice THEN you can dial it back a little as you get into the dog days of the second half of the season. But spring and summer are wide open, full contact game simulations to get you sharp.

I am glad people are talking like this. We wonder how ALL of our players can look so bad and you find out we mostly thud against bench warmers. Those guys don’t move as fast or hit as hard. When we get to game day, we have not been accurately prepared for what we will actually face.

Guys look like they never played before sometimes because they are not sharp and there is a big disconnect between practice speed and game speed. The game is WAY, WAY faster than it looks on tv or even from the stands.

Advertisement

Napoleon Dynamite Want GIF

Church Pray GIF

The Oklahoma drill made people change sports. It was the highlight of practice for the dogs. And the softees would hide in the back of the line. So Sunday thru Friday all we're really doing is playing touch. Same applies with blocking. A blocking sled or dummy doesn't fight or move towards the ball. So we resort to holding in games. Mandy never played so he doesn't understand any of this.

Bruh. Spring and fall camp had dudes reevaluating their life choices.

At the beginning, you have 60 or 70 guys coming out. But once that chinstrap get buckled and and mu****ers start laying that wood, the attrition is like special operations pipelines. The weak start falling off real quick.

Advertisement
90% of sports are mental including injuries.

A lot of injuries are non contact and can't be avoided by simply not tackling.

The more scared (tentative) you play, the more likely you are to get hurt.

Live tackling drills builds toughness/confidence and create habits/instincts.

It not only strengthen you physically but also mentally, you have to train your mind to react and not think.

You HAVE to practice breaking tackles and tackling LIVE to get better at it.

The better you are at tackling and the more confident you are, the less chance of injury.

If you don't like contact, football is not for you.

If you are scared of getting hurt or hurting someone, football is not for you.

A smark as we call em now. Lol
You know me and you can talk wrestling. Canes and Eagles ALL DAY.
Here's another take. My girl is a big wrestling fan and bought this up. She said our coach basically is a wrestler who can cut a really good promo but can't take a bump and sell for ****.
And that makes sense. You can be great all you want on the mic. That only makes fans invest into you. But if you can't take a bump and sell, the fans won't believe in you and you won't put butts in seats because you suck.
You can talk a good game and say you put an emphasis on tackling and that we're a good coach team, off-season champ. But if your team misses on average 33 tackles a game and aren't even doing basic fundamentals in the game, then more than likely we will lose and that won't put butts in seats because we suck.

A smark as we call em now. Lol
You know me and you can talk wrestling. Canes and Eagles ALL DAY.
Here's another take. My girl is a big wrestling fan and bought this up. She said our coach basically is a wrestler who can cut a really good promo but can't take a bump and sell for ****.
And that makes sense. You can be great all you want on the mic. That only makes fans invest into you. But if you can't take a bump and sell, the fans won't believe in you and you won't put butts in seats because you suck.
You can talk a good game and say you put an emphasis on tackling and that we're a good coach team, off-season champ. But if your team misses on average 33 tackles a game and aren't even doing basic fundamentals in the game, then more than likely we will lose and that won't put butts in seats because we suck.
Manny is Enzo Amore? And our team is S A W F T

Btw if she came up with that analogy she’s a keeper.

90% of sports are mental including injuries.

A lot of injuries are non contact and can't be avoided by simply not tackling.

The more scared (tentative) you play, the more likely you are to get hurt.

Live tackling drills builds toughness/confidence and create habits/instincts.

It not only strengthen you physically but also mentally, you have to train your mind to react and not think.

You HAVE to practice breaking tackles and tackling LIVE to get better at it.

The better you are at tackling and the more confident you are, the less chance of injury.

If you don't like contact, football is not for you.

If you are scared of getting hurt or hurting someone, football is not for you.
Truth.

Your odds of injury go up when you’re tentative or going half speed.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back