Let’s talk tackling and wrasslin brother

Advertisement
I was around some old school guys in my years at ETSU (Carl Torbush and Randy Sanders) and they made sure to tackle as much as the NCAA would allow. We lost a few players as a result. It did lead to more injuries… but they took a jump start program to the FCS playoff semi’s in year 3 and we sure as **** didn’t miss tackles and we played with UT for 2.5 quarters.

I was also around Drinkwitz a lot in his year at App State and he had the same mentality. One of the smartest guys I’ve been around.
Those words in bold are sooooo important!!

It's similar to the adage, "You have to spend some money to make some money." or "You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs."

Miami was built on toughness and we are damp Charmin weak right now.

Advertisement
Soft coach = SOFT practices
I mean, that seems so obvious. It really is true. The only time when I could see making the argument that it isn't completely true was when Rick was coaching the Huskies and they beat us in Washington. Even then, I think he had enough tough guys on staff to make up for him.

But anyway, yeah, the team takes on the personality of the HC by and large. This is why Mario should be the guy, and if not him, someone else who has teams that play nasty.

I was just talking to someone on Twitter about this last week. Lack of tackling each other in practice leads to a whole list of issues.

Like you said tackling sleds, pads and tires are different and nothing like like live tackling. The only thing they help with is technique and even then it’s real minimal.

We complain our guys don’t break tackles. That is a product of not being tackled. We see guys slowing up on a kickoff when they think a guy is going to be tackled, another product of not tackling in practice because your too used to the play being blown dead and the ball carrier not breaking the tackle.

They can miss me with the whole injury BS. If you don’t tackle you’re body is t used to it. You become stiff when trying to tackle because your body tensed up and next thing you know you get hurt. Same goes for ball carriers, if they’re not getting cracked then they don’t know how to absorb the hit and reduce the risk for injury.

I played safety at EKU and coach DB’s in HS. I had a heated discussion with the head when I started two years ago. We weren’t tackling very much during camp because he was worried about guys getting hurt. We played a fall scrimmage and we missed over 20 tackles and had 2 guys go down with shoulder injuries while trying to make a tackle. When all the coaches were reviewing the film the head coach was saying how we needed to focus on technique and work more with the tackling dummies. I took three weeks to convince him to let the kids start tackling each other more. After that our ball carriers were break more tackles and we were tackling much better.

There isn’t anything you can do in practice to replicate live tackling. They’re are risk involved but this is football. Tackling is the most important part of the game. If you do it really well then you’re going to have a good D.
I'll admit I was a soft player when I first started playing American Football at 18 (played it at Uni in the UK). I'd missed rugby as a kid - played sports like cricket, 'soccer', squash, swimming, field hockey for teams growing up so the physicality of American Football took some getting used to!

In our first practice, when we were trying out for the team, it was a piece of **** tackling the dummy. Our MLB knocked me out in an Oklahoma drill the next week...

There's simply no replica for trying to tackle a live body that's trying to run you over / evade you. You learn how to hit, get hit and the technique required to bring people down. Anyone can look like Goldberg against a tackling dummy!

Advertisement
x-pac suck it GIF by WWE

Manny to all the proponents of physicality & toughness on the football field
Manny has cancel cultured tackling in football

Advertisement
Advertisement
PFF said Kenneth Walker forced 20 missed tackles against us. That is a HUGE number. The next closest guy for any school in week 3 was at 11 I believe. That is so embarrassing for a head coach who is also the DC and spoke all offseason about stopping the run.

It's like being a boxer and never sparring. The bag doesn't hit back.

on-monday-august-14-2017-hurricanes-defensive-lineman-pat-bethel-picture-id831394320
I read once that Evander Holyfield didn't like to spar. And that's why in spite of the condition he looked to be in, he always got gassed in his fights. The one fight he did spar a lot before? Emanuel Steward had him spar a ton before the first Tyson fight. He looked like a different fighter.

PFF said Kenneth Walker forced 20 missed tackles against us. That is a HUGE number. The next closest guy for any school in week 3 was at 11 I believe. That is so embarrassing for a head coach who is also the DC and spoke all offseason about stopping the run.
8 months as the head man of the D and of the entire team, retuned all kinds of experience, added some 5*'s and the result? The worst tackling D in the country. That's not acceptable for Miami. That's not acceptable for the Fightin' Cane Walkers from the University of the Blind.

To think that he'll suddenly fix what he had 8 months to fix, but now the season is happening, is absurd on its face.

Saying that our only problem is tackling is kind of letting Diaz off the hook. Take our LBs for example, they don't even look like they know how read keys, keys lead you to making a tackle or helping out on a tackle. Every time I look up at the TV our LBs are getting washed out of plays, ditto with the D-Line. The skeem sucks.

Advertisement
Back