Let’s talk tackling and wrasslin brother

Advertisement
How about we start tackling with the arms and shoulders instead of the crown of the helmet? It might lead to fewer targetting calls AND improve people’s grips!

Not to pile on, but every time I would see video of practices, everyone seems relaxed and walking or slowly jogging into place except for actual plays. To hear the nature of practices now, is no surprise.

Advertisement
Dwyane Wade What GIF by Bleacher Report

Me every time I see us try to tackle

Me every time I see us tackle.
Angry Mark Cuban GIF

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that all the big boys go full contact in practice. It was alarming hearing reke in an interview that he couldn’t believe the difference with full contact with us vs UGA.

Advertisement
Whatever sport you play, you have to always work on fundamentals. I had a very successful coach, who now has coached 2 Hurricanes players, who use to 'torture' us with an hour of different tackling drills every practice. And then, We would also end every practice by sprinting 40 40s... yes, that's right! Our entire team would line up and do 40 Yard Sprints 40 times. If one, and I mean just one, didn't run through the line, we did it again. There were practices were we ran more than 40 times, and it made players HAVE TO hold each other accountable. Leaders developed through this!

That sh*t use to drive me crazy. When I first started playing for him, I thought he was nuts! Then we started winning... and winning... and winning! There were times we knew we won just getting off the bus. Other teams looked sloppy. Physically they weren't on our level. And when we, as players, started seeing the results, we totally bought in. We took pride in hitting hard and looked forward to our end of practice sprints because we knew it was the 'easiest' way to victory.

There came a point where, as players, we started to hold ourselves accountable and our coaches could trust us to do our sprints without any shortcuts. Player accountability doesn't just develop overnight. The players need to believe! And their proof that they are on the right path, should be evident of the field.

You can't win football games, or anything at life, skipping steps. The hard work (called THE PROCESS by some) needs to be apart of the equation. A Good, seasoned football coach understands this. Mario shows us he understands this. Manny, someone who never played the game, doesnt fully understand this.

Advertisement
I think some people are misconstruing tackling drill versus say a bull in the ring or Oklahoma drill. You can work on tackling without violence. Have a runner try to juke or avoid a defender in space then bring him down. No trucking by the offensive player and no kill shots by the defender. Get him to the ground. Whistle blows. If you want to strap big styrofoam ****** to them for safety then do it, but you can’t play this game with zero tackling and expect to tackle well. Last time I checked there’s no tires rolling down the field on Saturday’s, if there was we’d likely be the most sound team in the country. Tackling tires is our specialty.

Saying that our only problem is tackling is kind of letting Diaz off the hook. Take our LBs for example, they don't even look like they know how read keys, keys lead you to making a tackle or helping out on a tackle. Every time I look up at the TV our LBs are getting washed out of plays, ditto with the D-Line. The skeem sucks.
We don't do anything well, except punt.
This team is painful to watch.

Advertisement
Yet when Banda was outspoken about "tackling" being so important, many on this board conveniently misinterpreted it as him saying it was the only thing and took that as an opportunity to bash him.

I think some people are misconstruing tackling drill versus say a bull in the ring or Oklahoma drill. You can work on tackling without violence. Have a runner try to juke or avoid a defender in space then bring him down. No trucking by the offensive player and no kill shots by the defender. Get him to the ground. Whistle blows. If you want to strap big styrofoam ****** to them for safety then do it, but you can’t play this game with zero tackling and expect to tackle well. Last time I checked there’s no tires rolling down the field on Saturday’s, if there was we’d likely be the most sound team in the country. Tackling tires is our specialty.
There’s other ways but nothing simulates an open field tackle like going live or Oklahoma. We don’t go live enough. That’s been apparent for years even under Richt.

So what’s different? What changed? We haven’t been a great tackling team, but nothing like this. Not even close. It’s the same dude who coached the defense in 2016 - 2018. What’s different today than what we did in those years? He forgot how to teach it? Can anyone confirm that the practices are genuinely different today than they were in the past?

Advertisement
Back