Let’s talk tackling and wrasslin brother

Manny is Enzo Amore? And our team is S A W F T

Btw if she came up with that analogy she’s a keeper.
I thought it, didn't say it, but definitely thought it. Great on the mic, can catch your attention with catchphrases but can't deliver in the ring because he couldn't take a proper bump. His selling was good, but that's because he really wasn't, the mfer couldn't take a proper bump. 😂😂😂 and when fans (I mean SMARKS) see that **** live..... 🗣🗣🗣YOU CAN'T WRESTLE!!! *CLAP, CLAP. CLAP CLAP CLAP!!!*
Manny INDEED IS Enzo Amore.

S.
A.
W.
F.
T.
🗣🗣🗣SAAAAAAAAAAWFT!!!

Advertisement
Here’s the most puzzling thing.

Manny was at FSU during the Bowden/ Mickey Andrew’s regime.

He was at NCST
He was at MISS st. With Dan Mullen x2
He was at TX with Mack Brown
He was at LA TECH with Skip Holtz
He was at Miami with CMR.

He’s coached under some big name guys. Where and who did he pick up this philosophy from? Everything we do defensively is under fire and any of the coaches above would not approve of this ****. Brown is the only dude who fired him.

Even Manny himself has to realize the entire thing is sham. Is he gonna go down the Donofrio path or is he goNna wake up and smell the coffee? Either way it’s probably to late for him.

We are a national joke

Perfect practice makes perfect and it seems with a lessening of frequency, there's not even a premium being put on technique.

Lunging at ankles, throwing a shoulder, not driving your legs through the tackle - blocking an offensive guy that doesn't have the ball, instead of hitting the guy that does.

You can't say we're gonna dial back the hitting (dumb anyway) and then discount the fundamentals.

Everything is bassackwards

Advertisement
Not to pile on, but every time I would see video of practices, everyone seems relaxed and walking or slowly jogging into place except for actual plays. To hear the nature of practices now, is no surprise.
Personally its because they usually only show like the first 15-20 mins of practice where nothing of note is happening

Advertisement
I was listening to a Manny Diaz interview where he said it’s hard to practice tackling because of possible injuries and depth at rb. Which made me think of an old wrasslin reference that kinda connects with tackling. Growing up I was a big wrestling fan, I was a smart mark before that was a term.

I listen to a lot of podcast’s by former wrestlers that talk about their days on the road. they always mention that taking a bump isn’t natural to your body , kinda like tackling They also say the less bumps you take the worse your body reacts when do take them. Your body eventually gets used to the contact with the mat , the more reps the better your can handle it , It’s like your body gets callused / hardened by the constant bumping and the reps become second nature with how you fall.

Which brings me back to tackling . Tackling is like anything else , you need reps. Just like a jump shot or taking swings in the batting cage. Using a tire , a sled or thud isn’t tackling another man. Injuries are part of the game but you have to take that chance with something as big as tackling. It’s the most important part of the game. I mean it’s called “tackle “ football.

Back when I started playing ball I was very tentative and intimidated by tackling and tackling drills. But one thing our coaches did was have multiple tackling days , different drills that challenged you from different angles and different positions to help with reaction. I ended up one of our better tacklers and tbh we were a really good tackling team. Thats a far lower level but I know for a fact it’s necessary, practice makes perfect.

I also believe like taking a bump tackling and being tackled trains both parties on how to handle the contact and how to go to the ground. I don’t recall one injury in our tackling drills in the three years I played. I’m not saying you should have physical war daily but the results match what I’ve always heard about our practices , they lack physicality versus other programs.

The proof is in the pudding , Miami is the worst tackling team in the country. We have a minimum of 20 every game and 30 last game. If that doesn’t tell Manny about his practice habits nothing will.

This is why I’m so pro Mario and Alonzo. Smart people that are competitive , believe in physicality , toughness and knows what Miami is supposed to look like.
Don't all our former greats tell us how they absolutely went to war on Greentree and it made them all better so what's changed. I've consistently said that tackling that **** donut encourages arm tackling. if you look back to the play that Gurvan warped to the blocker, Amari Carter is there and tries to do that stupid grab and twist technique but the running just runs right through it. I've seen people say its a lack of strength but if you ask me its very much the technique

Is this for sure true? I've mentioned before when they show tape of practices they look rather lame. I hated tackling drills but knew they were part of learning, I hated them becau0ue it seemed every time we lined up I ended up tackling the biggest, baddest player on our team, I was the smallest but I took him on and don't remember missing any tackles in games. Our leather helmets weren't as hard as the plastic ones so getting your head in there wasn't frowned upon. I hope what is reported here is wrong but find it easy to believe based on what we see in games.

I was around some old school guys in my years at ETSU (Carl Torbush and Randy Sanders) and they made sure to tackle as much as the NCAA would allow. We lost a few players as a result. It did lead to more injuries… but they took a jump start program to the FCS playoff semi’s in year 3 and we sure as **** didn’t miss tackles and we played with UT for 2.5 quarters.

I was also around Drinkwitz a lot in his year at App State and he had the same mentality. One of the smartest guys I’ve been around.
Carl Torbush. Wasn't he the DC under Mack Brown at UNC in Brown's 1st stint in Chapel Hill? **** good one too IIRC. That Tar Heel D was excellent.

Is this for sure true? I've mentioned before when they show tape of practices they look rather lame. I hated tackling drills but knew they were part of learning, I hated them becau0ue it seemed every time we lined up I ended up tackling the biggest, baddest player on our team, I was the smallest but I took him on and don't remember missing any tackles in games. Our leather helmets weren't as hard as the plastic ones so getting your head in there wasn't frowned upon. I hope what is reported here is wrong but find it easy to believe based on what we see in games.
Fraggle, You played organized, uniformed, tackle football??? 😮

Did you ever try to tackle I guy with moves like this?
👇

9B607A38-BB8D-45C1-9CE2-36660D05EC09.gif

Advertisement
Here’s the most puzzling thing.

Manny was at FSU during the Bowden/ Mickey Andrew’s regime.

He was at NCST
He was at MISS st. With Dan Mullen x2
He was at TX with Mack Brown
He was at LA TECH with Skip Holtz
He was at Miami with CMR.

He’s coached under some big name guys. Where and who did he pick up this philosophy from? Everything we do defensively is under fire and any of the coaches above would not approve of this ****. Brown is the only dude who fired him.

Even Manny himself has to realize the entire thing is sham. Is he gonna go down the Donofrio path or is he goNna wake up and smell the coffee? Either way it’s probably to late for him.

We are a national joke
What'd he do at FSU....Wipe the drool off of Andrew's chin??

This team needs an over haul that will take 2-3 years to complete the purge of weak fragile mindset and very little training ( actual training).

Just (2) basic skills to learn but by far the hardest for coaches and player to take ownership of attempting.

So you have what we’re experiencing , plausible deniability.

The two weakest words anyone should use

You have to be good to make actual tackles. I dont think we are good at Linebacker at all..and have a DL full of guys who havent made a bunch of tackles.
Bingo it's that simple

When will we give opposing players credit for breaking a tackle cause they are better.

Advertisement
Is Dabo a jerk? Is Kiffin? Is Ryan Day? I don't think these guys are jerks. There are many ways to skin a cat, for every Saban you have a Lincoln Riley.
Yeah, I don't think you need a jerk, you just need somebody who holds the kids accountable. You aren't being a jerk by benching somebody who drops a pass or misses tackles too frequently. Sometimes you have to put those guys on the bench as Manny is finally finding out

I think that Manny had too much patience for certain guys. If he coaches long enough he'll figure out which guys to give some latitude too and which guys to keep on the bench.

Surprised he still hasn't figured out the difference between gamers and practice players.

This team needs an over haul that will take 2-3 years to complete the purge of weak fragile mindset and very little training ( actual training).

Just (2) basic skills to learn but by far the hardest for coaches and player to take ownership of attempting.

So you have what we’re experiencing , plausible deniability.

The two weakest words anyone should use
Rebuilding is coming. Needs to happen. From top to bottom.

Advertisement
Back