Let’s get this stadium done!!

But it seems that the Tacoma has expressway access from highway 5 and 705. The best option for a stadium near the U seems to be Tropical Park because of the 826. An exit modification would be relatively simple.
Agree. It’s definite gonna be a debate about the pros and cons re this project. One thing going as a plus is Metrorail nearby. The other is US 1. The student traffic will definitely be mitigated by the short distance from campus. Just throwing this thought around, for a regular game, with increased attendance Hypothetically, the student attendance of about 6-7k, local residents using local roads perhaps another 10-12k, park & ride (busses and rail) another 5k, that leaves about another 15-20k from areas north, using I-95, 826, US 1. I think it’s doable. Their feasibility studies will tell more. Money, the most important component, is there. I hope it happens, I’d love to experience this before my times up.

Advertisement
I’ll sign it if Manny gets a job promoting the bond sales and Manny Sr uses his Marlins Stadium playbook for the build out. “That’s what they do!”

Here’s the official petition!

Sign and share Hurricane fans!

- This is solely to spread the petition link

Nope. Don't need a new stadium. What is the reason? Just to say we have a stadium closer to campus? We play in a stadium that hosts Super Bowls that is central to all fans. A new stadium is pointless.

Advertisement
mafia don't care about a petition, go pay off the mafia so they will open up the land to build on.

simple...

this is the same reason beckham will never have a soccer stadium in miami. mafia won't let some fairy boy brit into their land.

Agree. It’s definite gonna be a debate about the pros and cons re this project. One thing going as a plus is Metrorail nearby. The other is US 1. The student traffic will definitely be mitigated by the short distance from campus. Just throwing this thought around, for a regular game, with increased attendance Hypothetically, the student attendance of about 6-7k, local residents using local roads perhaps another 10-12k, park & ride (busses and rail) another 5k, that leaves about another 15-20k from areas north, using I-95, 826, US 1. I think it’s doable. Their feasibility studies will tell more. Money, the most important component, is there. I hope it happens, I’d love to experience this before my times up.
Metrorail could be a big player and would help with the parking issue also. I would strongly suggest that if this becomes feasible, that a stadium somewhat bigger than 50K seats is considered... 65K should be adequate.
I remember back in the 70's taking shuttle buses from what would later be FIU, and ride to the Orange Bowl to see Dolphin and Canes games. Imagine that... shuttle buses... genius.

Advertisement
But it seems that the Tacoma has expressway access from highway 5 and 705. The best option for a stadium near the U seems to be Tropical Park because of the 826. An exit modification would be relatively simple.

People talk about TP a lot, and yes, there is a field there and you could replace it with a stadium while only annexing a reasonable amount of the surrounding land, but you'd need to create a ton of parking, and the only way to do that is to pave over a metric crap ton of parkland. Killing a park is a BFD which does not get done easily, if at all. Most metros are trying to create more parks, not take them away. It would be a WAR. And a horrible, horrible look for the U, probably. Maybe worse than a war with Coral Gables, even, because we're not talking about killing a historic park.

People complain about parking at Hard Rock, and they probably have 3x-4x the amount of land the stadium takes up designated for parking. I just don't see it.

People talk about TP a lot, and yes, there is a field there and you could replace it with a stadium while only annexing a reasonable amount of the surrounding land, but you'd need to create a ton of parking, and the only way to do that is to pave over a metric crap ton of parkland. Killing a park is a BFD which does not get done easily, if at all. Most metros are trying to create more parks, not take them away. It would be a WAR. And a horrible, horrible look for the U, probably. Maybe worse than a war with Coral Gables, even, because we're not talking about killing a historic park.

People complain about parking at Hard Rock, and they probably have 3x-4x the amount of land the stadium takes up designated for parking. I just don't see it.
Dude... the reason this topic continues to surface is because Joe Robbie Stadium should not be the Hurricanes home field for obvious reasons that have been talked about ad-nauseam. The pro JRS contingent will make the move as a mistake and will vigorously defend staying.
Most of the pro-stay folks live in Broward or N. Dade... so of course they want to stay. I live 2.5 miles from campus and the day that the corrupt County and City of Miami politicians destroyed the OB for the Marlins Stadium and a sweet Loria gift, many UM alum and fans were devastated. A Hurricane home stadium Does Not celebrate a Gator national championship... that day will go down in Canes infamy and will never be forgotten. A Canes stadium should not be 18 miles from Campus.
I believe that people with vision, and with influence, and with money can finally get the Canes a REAL home stadium. As they say there's more than one way to skin a cat... let's look at them.

Dude... the reason this topic continues to surface is because Joe Robbie Stadium should not be the Hurricanes home field for obvious reasons that have been talked about ad-nauseam. The pro JRS contingent will make the move as a mistake and will vigorously defend staying.
Most of the pro-stay folks live in Broward or N. Dade... so of course they want to stay. I live 2.5 miles from campus and the day that the corrupt County and City of Miami politicians destroyed the OB for the Marlins Stadium and a sweet Loria gift, many UM alum and fans were devastated. A Hurricane home stadium Does Not celebrate a Gator national championship... that day will go down in Canes infamy and will never be forgotten. A Canes stadium should not be 18 miles from Campus.
I believe that people with vision, and with influence, and with money can finally get the Canes a REAL home stadium. As they say there's more than one way to skin a cat... let's look at them.

Oh, I agree with all of this. I want our own crib, too. I just keep reading about TP as if it's some layup. I just don't see it happening there because of the reasons I outlined. Take a look at Tropical Park on goggle maps. We'd literally have to destroy almost the entire park to even pretend we would have enough parking. And I don't see much low hanging fruit for parking nearby.

Nope. Don't need a new stadium. What is the reason? Just to say we have a stadium closer to campus? We play in a stadium that hosts Super Bowls that is central to all fans. A new stadium is pointless.

Respectfully, this is a shortsighted view. There are significant financial ramifications for owning your own stadium. It is a significant source of revenue, even when you factor in the costs to build and maintain. To say its “pointless” is incredibly inaccurate. You should want the program to operate to its highest potential. That is not possible as long as you are renting and leasing.

Advertisement
It feels like, just reading some of the post, fans don’t want Miami to have a stadium b/c of what’s best for their own personal preference/convenience vs. what’s best for the school & its students. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Right, that is exactly the case. Suppose somewhere down the line, something happens with Ross or the stadium itself? Then what? Its a mistake to ASSUME what is not yours will be there indefinitely.

Advertisement
People bring up BC as an example. Let me bring up a contrary example, Pitt. They had an on campus stadium that was built in 1925 to hold 69,000( to the youngsters, college football was the dominant fall sport until the late 50s and early 60s. It was shrunk to 54,000 in 1949. They moved to downtown in 1999. They shared the stadium with the Steelers until 1970. The Eagles used Penn's Stadium, the Giants played some games at Yale. Pitt abandoned the on campus stadium because it was landlocked, outdated, and had a higher and better use

PS Like the Rose Bowl? It is 28 miles from UCLA. They played their home games at the Colesium, which also houses USC. They moved to the Rose Bowl in 1998 after neighbors blocked the construction of a 44,000 seat stadium on campus.

Last edited:
What is this obsession with building a new Orange Bowl? Is it going to resurrect some nostalgia from the past to somehow magically deliver a championship program?

IMO, just a waste of money building a stadium only accessible to people located near it. Hard Rock serves a dual purpose and that's a good thing. It hosts Super Bowls and is as good as any college stadium.

It's the people that fill the stadium thst makes it come alive and feel electric. Build a winning program and Hard Rock will be filled every Saturday just like the Notre Dame game 2017. The effort should be to create that environment every week at Hard Rock not trying to replicate 20 years of past memories.

I’m not following ur logic

Fans are worried about whats in the best interest for themselves. Traffic, travel time etc as opposed to what is in the best interest of the program. The best interest of the program is to own a stadium in which you dont share revenue AND you arent at the mercy of an external entity. Miami is at the mercy of the Fins and whatever the Fins may decide to do that is in the best interest of THEIR organization, which may not be in the best interest of UM.

Advertisement
Back