Let’s get this stadium done!!

Advertisement
I don’t think their intentions were to purchase the land but rather lease it.

Yes but its still re-purposing a public park. Communities are doing everything they can to ADD parkland in this day and age, not give it up. Look, I WANT it to happen. And I LOVE that these guys are going balls to the walls to try to make it happen. They are impressive. But usually in any public-private deal that overcomes all the obstacles that prevent them from happening the private entity has to provide an overload of ancillary benefit to the community (think donate other land and develop it for the public good, etc) that outweighs the loss of use.

My point is at best, this is going to be a really, really intense battle, bordering on a long shot.

Then again... Miami.

Yes but its still re-purposing a public park. Communities are doing everything they can to ADD parkland in this day and age, not give it up. Look, I WANT it to happen. And I LOVE that these guys are going balls to the walls to try to make it happen. They are impressive. But usually in any public-private deal that overcomes all the obstacles that prevent them from happening the private entity has to provide an overload of ancillary benefit to the community (think donate other land and develop it for the public good, etc) that outweighs the loss of use.

My point is at best, this is going to be a really, really intense battle, bordering on a long shot.

Then again... Miami.
Sounds like they are proposing to donate funds to upgrade fields, buildings, courts, medical resources etc throughout the park, on top of the stadium, to make it difficult to say no. Lord knows that park, although beautiful, can use a little TLC. In the early 90's, I played Baseball at Tropical park for many years, and they still have the same facilities I had as a kid. We shall see.

Last edited:
I don’t think their intentions were to purchase the land but rather lease it.
this is going to be a very hard deal to get passed the voters. would you want a stadium in your neighborhood? there are a lot of residential areas adjacent to that park. its going to be a tough campaign but considering the usual miami dade voter apathy their best chance might be to get iit on the ballot in off presidential cycle

Last edited:
Advertisement
Sounds like they are proposing to donate funds to upgrade fields, buildings, courts, medical resources etc throughout the park, on top of the stadium, to make it difficult to say no. Lord knows that park, although beautiful, can use a little TLC. In the early 90's, I played Baseball at Tropical park for many years, and they still have the same facilities I had as a kid. We shall see.
I grew up in those batting cages.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back