Legislation; BILL OF RIGHTS for College Athletes

I hate when politics get involved with sports, in any capacity. That included the whole steroid era of baseball. Unless one’s civil rights or federal laws are being violated, I don’t believe politicians should stick their nose in any sporting matters.

Ppl forget that college sports is all encompassing. We focus so much on CFB b/c of its popularity, but there could be an consequential domino effect that could come from this regarding other sports. Everything feels so agenda laden nowadays and it’s ruining things.

One more thought: Ed O’Bannon is a pariah. His lawsuit stemmed from dude blowing through his money and looking to make a quick buck. He got frustrated seeing his “likeness” in NCAA basketball ‘09 from the 1995 UCLA title team. This **** been playing NCAA basketball with no issues, but since he was broke from a failed NBA/oversees, working as a car salesman, he looked for a way to capitalize off his name/likeness since ppl weren’t buying his signed autograph jerseys.

If this sounds personal, it is. Lol.

Advertisement
I'm all for capitalism and the players making extra money off their image.

but

Miami Alone - Over $500K for 4 years. Those poor mistreated slaves

4 Years Tuition - $400K of money they don't have to pay back
4 Years Housing - 40K
4 Years Food and Nutrition - 25-30K
4 Years of Sports Merch and Extra Benefits not able to put a dollar amount on
A degree with a University to apply for a job if you don't make it professionally. Untold future earnings.

I feel sorry for our future generations with you idiots running the country. I've never see such an entitled group of twits.
Miami tuition is the exception. Most university benefits are far less. Entitlements did not start with my generation pal. Its your generation that has passed down mountains of debt and raised entitled kids who are done paying for your mistakes.

Miami tuition is the exception. Most university benefits are far less. Entitlements did not start with my generation pal. Its your generation that has passed down mountains of debt and raised entitled kids who are done paying for your mistakes.
85C8E1B1-0D03-4A55-B69E-B44A3BE6CC55.gif

I hate when politics get involved with sports, in any capacity. That included the whole steroid era of baseball. Unless one’s civil rights or federal laws are being violated, I don’t believe politicians should stick their nose in any sporting matters.

Ppl forget that college sports is all encompassing. We focus so much on CFB b/c of its popularity, but there could be an consequential domino effect that could come from this regarding other sports. Everything feels so agenda laden nowadays and it’s ruining things.

One more thought: Ed O’Bannon is a pariah. His lawsuit stemmed from dude blowing through his money and looking to make a quick buck. He got frustrated seeing his “likeness” in NCAA basketball ‘09 from the 1995 UCLA title team. This **** been playing NCAA basketball with no issues, but since he was broke from a failed NBA/oversees, working as a car salesman, he looked for a way to capitalize off his name/likeness since ppl weren’t buying his signed autograph jerseys.

Rather he was broke or is was of ZERO relevance to the courts. It does not matter to the courts who agreed in Mr. O'Bannon's favor. You Haters always implying something you have no knowledge of to degrade a fact or court decision.

Advertisement
Best thing they could do for these young men and women is disband the NCAA.
Not agreeing or disagreeing here, but you do know the NCAA is not part of the government or an agency of it? It only has power because its member schools give it that power.

You will not recognize this sport in 5 years.
Your Grandpa said the same thing in the 60's when Africans Americans were, under huge and violent opposition, allowed to play college ball. Now 60 years later as the Attendance, TV, Internet, Gaming and Apparel has made a HUGE, Bigger than anything we've seen before (Sarcasm) financial impact, it only makes sense those earning the $$$$$$$$$$$ would want a cut.

So...better healthcare for players, public disclosure of athletic department financials, fewer restrictions on transferring...

Nowhere dies it say "you have a right to tell your coach NO!!"

Once again, you are projecting your demented politics onto non-partisan issues involving student-athletes.

That's laughable if you think the buck is going to stop there. Come on TOC... You know dems are power hungry and they think they can fix something that's not broken!!

Like, who the ***** is even asking for what CB is trying to put into law? who? The players want to be paid, not lapped up with better healthcare. And they already get premium, free healthcare?? WTF???

He's an OG who is trying to see football in his image. As a politician. "It's personal" to him.

Rather than a decision being made by the community (universities), you think it should be made by a POLITICIAN!!!!

Yeah, nope.

Advertisement

You've been on fire lately, kid....

If the government is going to get involved, I would be happy with the IRS dropping the hammer on players that accept bribes from schools like Bama and crushing those schools and boosters for being complicit in tax fraud. It's not a crime to bribe players but it is a crime if they aren't reporting the benefits on their taxes.

Saban should get popped for not reporting the gifts he is giving the players (loaner cars from his dealership while the players cars are "in the shop")

Congress shouldn't be spending time writing a bill of rights for college students.

Advertisement
Rather he was broke or is was of ZERO relevance to the courts. It does not matter to the courts who agreed in Mr. O'Bannon's favor. You Haters always implying something you have no knowledge of to degrade a fact or court decision.
The courts have decided many things that weren’t right. ****, C-Murder from No Limit is serving a life w/ no parole sentence b/c of the courts rule in LA that u can be convicted for a life term without a unanimous decision. Even though the eye witness lied under oath during his hearing, and admitted to it, the court ruled that it was corroborative to his lyrics stating his violent behavior. EVEN after the LA Supreme Court ruled that all cases determining life w/o parole based upon a non unanimous is outlawed, they also ruled that any past cases under such law is to remain intact.

So just b/c a court “agrees” with chit, doesn’t mean it’s always correct. Matter of fact this case is being appealed as we speak and his lawyers were already denied $3.7m they were trying to seek.

And if u think I’m a hater of Ed O, u got me twisted homie. My boy is Toby Bailey’s relative and so I know why Ed went this route & it had chit to do with making sure other players got theirs. However, the good I would say is that I’ve always felt college athletes should get paid or at least a portion of sales when fans are buying their jerseys or schools are selling their autographs, & this did open the door for that.

Last edited:
If the government is going to get involved, I would be happy with the IRS dropping the hammer on players that accept bribes from schools like Bama and crushing those schools and boosters for being complicit in tax fraud. It's not a crime to bribe players but it is a crime if they aren't reporting the benefits on their taxes.

Saban should get popped for not reporting the gifts he is giving the players (loaner cars from his dealership while the players cars are "in the shop")

Congress shouldn't be spending time writing a bill of rights for college students.

Right! Like if u going to get involved, GET ALL THE WAY INVOLVED.

Registered democrat here who would vote for a homeless man arguing with his own shadow over our current President...
IMO, this is worthless political grandstanding. Even referring to the proposed legislation as a "bill of rights," is calculated political grandstanding.

You will get your chance in Nov man. You get to vote for an empty suit, who argues with that same empty suit, but who doesn’t know he’s arguing with the empty suit.

Advertisement
You will get your chance in Nov man. You get to vote for an empty suit, who argues with that same empty suit, but who doesn’t know he’s arguing with the empty suit.
Exactly how our founding fathers envisioned it, I'm sure.

Not agreeing or disagreeing here, but you do know the NCAA is not part of the government or an agency of it? It only has power because its member schools give it that power.
THIS. You think the NCAA's bad now just get the Washington SWAMP birdbrains involved in ANYTHING involving college football. I think everyone knows what a disaster that would be.

He's also dating Rosario Dawson, so that's a plus. But then again, he's also a vegan, so that's a minus100% + Amen. Almost every occupation has protections in place and/or support mechanisms. Student athletes? Don't think so. Why would it be so bad for them to enjoy the same benefits as other occupations? College football players already have to put up with a lot of NCAA-driven nonsense.

Shut your ***** mouth. No way that was real. At least I keep telling myself that.

Advertisement
Back