Legislation; BILL OF RIGHTS for College Athletes

Advertisement
LOL at “in the coming months.” Y’all go ahead and hold your breath about any legislation getting passed regarding ANYTHING. These people are on another vacation after getting nothing done after they got back from their last vacation.

This is gonna start with, trying to get athletes paid and end with not being able to pass it bc one side didn’t agree to the other sides demands about funding for a museum or how much of a raise congress should get.

Advertisement
Plantation owners triggered
I'm all for capitalism and the players making extra money off their image.

but

Miami Alone - Over $500K for 4 years. Those poor mistreated slaves

4 Years Tuition - $400K of money they don't have to pay back
4 Years Housing - 40K
4 Years Food and Nutrition - 25-30K
4 Years of Sports Merch and Extra Benefits not able to put a dollar amount on
A degree with a University to apply for a job if you don't make it professionally. Untold future earnings.

I feel sorry for our future generations with you idiots running the country. I've never see such an entitled group of twits.

So...better healthcare for players, public disclosure of athletic department financials, fewer restrictions on transferring...

Nowhere dies it say "you have a right to tell your coach NO!!"

Once again, you are projecting your demented politics onto non-partisan issues involving student-athletes.

100% + Amen. Almost every occupation has protections in place and/or support mechanisms. Student athletes? Don't think so. Why would it be so bad for them to enjoy the same benefits as other occupations? College football players already have to put up with a lot of NCAA-driven nonsense.

National Plan??? Which would be?

New Zealand had a national plan and now they are seeing a resurgence. Postulating that it might be due to infected cargo. Whatever.

The national plan that is being implemented, is being done by nature and not man or any political party. It is called natural selection. And if one believes in evolution, this is nature's way of purging the weak.

The virus will naturally run it's course and will be gone. If one doesn't get it, be thankful you are among the strong.

Since you are suggesting what is being done right now is not working, what national plan would you suggest?

NZ has several cases - we lead the world in cases and deaths. What are you talking about? US' response has been a disaster - if only Trump would tweet less and read his briefings we would be in a better place. How about some accountability at the top as opposed to minion slurping.

National selection? You OK if your parents die from COVID because of no plan on how to fight it like we fight thousands of diseases and disorders? Should we use the same approach for cancer? Just let it run its course?

Christ. This is next level mongolico logic.

Advertisement
We have complained about the NCAA for YEARS here, at CanesTime, and other boards. This is an opportunity to make things right for student athletes that generate BILLIONS, and some of you are acting like petulant children because you might not get to see amateur football played. Now THAT is the ultimate in privilege coming from the "conservative" side.

NZ has several cases - we lead the world in cases and deaths. What are you talking about? US' response has been a disaster - if only Trump would tweet less and read his briefings we would be in a better place. How about some accountability at the top as opposed to minion slurping.

National selection? You OK if your parents die from COVID because of no plan on how to fight it like we fight thousands of diseases and disorders? Should we use the same approach for cancer? Just let it run its course?

Not nice to talk about yourself that way. Moxy up and love yourself more...

You forgot Color Guard. Why are you so bigoted against those with good coordination?

All kidding aside, marching band and color guard are not considered sports, so not only are they allowed to put in a ridiculous number of practice hours, but they don't get an award for having a good GPA and participating in an FHSAA sport.
Oh, I didn't forget them, I just don't have the political juice to fight for Color Guard, brother. Very strong pressure from the special interest groups of cheerleaders and dancers. Neither group wants Color Guard included in their legislation, and neither group wants them to have individual protections. Being just one man, I must bend to the will of the cheerleaders and dancers. I know it's not right, but that's just the way it is. It's a sad state of affairs.

I'm all for capitalism and the players making extra money off their image.

but

Miami Alone - Over $500K for 4 years. Those poor mistreated slaves

4 Years Tuition - $400K of money they don't have to pay back
4 Years Housing - 40K
4 Years Food and Nutrition - 25-30K
4 Years of Sports Merch and Extra Benefits not able to put a dollar amount on
A degree with a University to apply for a job if you don't make it professionally. Untold future earnings.

I feel sorry for our future generations with you idiots running the country. I've never see such an entitled group of twits.

1. Poor mistreated slaves? How crass of you to use those words. Let's be kind and respectful here.
2. Tuition, housing, food, clothing, etc - lets use Duke Johnson as an example. How much money did he bring to UM while he played there? How about Willis and Dorsey? How about Frank and Ed Reed? MILLIONS, TENS OF MILLIONS just via merchandise sales and marketing/admissions fodder. Add to that the use of their names and accomplishments to recruit elite talent. On and on.
3. Why call a fellow poster an idiot? What does that accomplish?

Advertisement

What is your plan?

Doubt it, Booker actually played football, was a TE at Stanford.
This guy?

bookerjuke.gif

Props to Corey for helping upset NLame, but the fact Booker may actually care about college athletes doesn't make it any less political grandstanding. These things are not mutually exclusive. Politicians exploit their relationships and passions to secure political objectives all the time.

On the grandstanding point, the timing is pretty suspect. We have a stalled COVID stimulus bill in Congress months before a national election and this dude is talking about a College Athletes Bill of Rights? And calling any legislation a "Bill of Rights," with the particular weight that carries in this country, is also very suspect.

1. Poor mistreated slaves? How crass of you to use those words. Let's be kind and respectful here.
2. Tuition, housing, food, clothing, etc - lets use Duke Johnson as an example. How much money did he bring to UM while he played there? How about Willis and Dorsey? How about Frank and Ed Reed? MILLIONS, TENS OF MILLIONS just via merchandise sales and marketing/admissions fodder. Add to that the use of their names and accomplishments to recruit elite talent. On and on.
3. Why call a fellow poster an idiot? What does that accomplish?

1) I think the word was fitting in response to Plantation owners as that mentality and thought process is absurd.
2) Doesn't really hold water. The Universities built the platform, took up all the start up cost, equipment, travel expenses, etc. Are we trying to do financial comparison now based off returns? Should that apply everywhere. Starbucks, Walmart, etc. Those companies make millions off all their labor force. Do those individuals deserve massive increases as well since they contribute to overall bottom line? I can't agree with that considering those companies pay for the all buildings, insurance, expenses, materials, etc.
3) Call it like I see it.

Advertisement
National Plan??? Which would be?

New Zealand had a national plan and now they are seeing a resurgence. Postulating that it might be due to infected cargo. Whatever.

The national plan that is being implemented, is being done by nature and not man or any political party. It is called natural selection. And if one believes in evolution, this is nature's way of purging the weak.

The virus will naturally run it's course and will be gone. If one doesn't get it, be thankful you are among the strong.

Since you are suggesting what is being done right now is not working, what national plan would you suggest?

I have to admit, I laughed at your sarcasm.

This is not true. Individual players don't bring money to the school. The brand brings money to the school. D1 football programs generate revenue no matter what names are on the roster.

Advertisement
Back