Leaving South Florida?

Advertisement
I had a conversation with a family member who's connected with pee-wee and high school football and we started talking recruiting. Since he's way more involved than me I asked why do kids leave SF so frequently and he said verbatim "Ya'll dorms and locker rooms are outdated. Miami is a small private school, ya'll are not going to impress these boys who just seen million dollar facilities." Then went on to praise Clemson, Bama, Washington, and Oregon's facilities.

But the thing that stuck out the most and he emphasized a lot is that these guys want to get away. He went on to say "Most of these kids have lived in SF for 16-18 years. What else do they need to see?" I didn't specifically ask if people and or outside forces were enforcing this but I kinda assumed by the way he was speaking.

Has anyone heard the same or similar?
Coral gables is foreign compared to the neighborhoods this kids come from. So for me I don’t fully buy that. I understand it. In some cases it’s real.

There no requirement the the FB player has to live in a dorm forever.Alot
of U's students live on South Beach,Hey Bama you got anything compared
to South Beach?

Wasting my time here, but SOBE doesn't mean Jack to most of these young men. They can go there and be a broke *** while millionaire stars and athletes are the main attraction. In the college towns, those guys aren't there, they're the kings in every situation and everything gets taken care of by fans or the place. That is a fact.

I had a conversation with a family member who's connected with pee-wee and high school football and we started talking recruiting. Since he's way more involved than me I asked why do kids leave SF so frequently and he said verbatim "Ya'll dorms and locker rooms are outdated. Miami is a small private school, ya'll are not going to impress these boys who just seen million dollar facilities." Then went on to praise Clemson, Bama, Washington, and Oregon's facilities.

But the thing that stuck out the most and he emphasized a lot is that these guys want to get away. He went on to say "Most of these kids have lived in SF for 16-18 years. What else do they need to see?" I didn't specifically ask if people and or outside forces were enforcing this but I kinda assumed by the way he was speaking.

Is this a major part of the reason or just a smaller part on the whole scene? And how much does it influence each kid as they all are different. Some of these kids that left like Surtain and others are not ghetto poor.

Advertisement
Is this a major part of the reason or just a smaller part on the whole scene? And how much does it influence each kid as they all are different. Some of these kids that left like Surtain and others are not ghetto poor.
Didn't ask but I'd assume that its somewhere in between.

I wouldn't use Jr for an example since we never stood a chance.

Wasting my time here, but SOBE doesn't mean Jack to most of these young men. They can go there and be a broke *** while millionaire stars and athletes are the main attraction. In the college towns, those guys aren't there, they're the kings in every situation and everything gets taken care of by fans or the place. That is a fact.

Im so tired of explaining this. Not just millionaires..regular ninjas like me pull more than these um guys when out at thse establishments. There are legit nfl guys wandering around on s.beach night clubs who hold no weight.

Big fish in the small pond in college towns. Recently the only UM guy who was noticable out on the town was Al qadin Muhammad because he just looked like a guy that maybe was in the league already and how he carried himself when i saw him out. lol and we all saw him get caught up in the mix.

My homies’ lil relative who wind up going to USC, UV Miami a couple years ago and that was one of the things he low key clowned. He played at Serra High in LA and they are a powerhouse feeder school to SC and he was like their locker room looked about the same.

We need to appeal to these young, impressionable kids. So yeah, that locker room needs updating, and that lounge needs updating.
Look at this sh*t.... lol

Advertisement
Coral Gables isn’t Liberty City. The night life is second to none. The weather is perfect. The facilities are on the rise. Hard Rock is incredible. All pro guys in every sport come work out on campus.There is nothing wrong with Miami itself. It has to do with being mediocre for these kids whole lives. And it’s an excuse to chase quick money and take care of mom.

You build the culture with the right guys and start winning. Then the big name kids take notice and you get them. Miami offers a brotherhood unlike any school in America, but you have to be successful for some kids to want to be apart of that

Ooooooh chit! Lol. Wow! Look, I know we will never get to this level just based upon size of the campus, but we can upgrade the chit we have.
Miami needs to continue to invest in facilities. Renovated Locker room and a new renovated player lounge needs to be the focus right now and with that Miami could compete with anyone in terms of facilities imo. That cost money such as a couple of million but it’s doable for sure especially with the acc network in play next year

Last edited:
Miami needs to continue to invest in facilities. Renovated Locker room and a new renovated player lounge needs to be the focus right now and with that Miami could compete with anyone in terms of facilities imo. That cost money but it’s doable for sure especially with the acc network in play next year

💯

If we could do that, we’ll be gravy. I think the weight room can be upgraded too. Again, little by little, but we can’t rest on our laurels w this IPF

Advertisement
💯

If we could do that, we’ll be gravy. I think the weight room can be upgraded too. Again, little by little, but we can’t rest on our laurels w this IPF
Weight room just got upgraded over break. Brand new equipment.

The 2 FIU players getting shot does not help us at all.

Dent kept on saying, he needed to go somewhere where he is safe
Rique said he needed to experience something new
Lucas said he needed to get out of Miami
Ladson said the same thing about needing to get out of Miami.
So when the kids in the terrible areas of LA, Baton Rouge, and so on stay with their hometown teams then what? There is always an excuse, or always something better somewhere else. Miami's facilities are on par with most colleges, and consider USC when it come's to recruiting they play in an old NFL stadium off campus, their facilities are pretty similar, but they continue to produce top class after top class with Clay ***** Helton of all people, difference is their Admin cares and makes football a priority and there is a different mentality to these players.

South Florida kids are front runners, plain and simple. They play in 4 different optimist teams, 3 different 7v7 teams, and 3 different HS before they ever even see a college campus. Its a weak mentality in SFLA and has been for awhile. Winning helps, but its a culture thing in SFLA and until that changes, nothing else will.
You cant compare Miami to other places to honest because every city is different. I grew up in Miami and couldn't wait to get the **** away. My mother would always say there is nothing for you here but trouble. Miami is unique as there isn't really many black people that are basically doing well financially. The cards are stacked against you in Miami in my opinion, now in saying that going to college for 3-4yrs shouldn't make much of a difference if you stay or go unless you really want to experience something different as I left because I knew I couldn't achieve my goals in Miami.

You cant compare Miami to other places to honest because every city is different. I grew up in Miami and couldn't wait to get the **** away. My mother would always say there is nothing for you here but trouble. Miami is unique as there isn't really many black people that are basically doing well financially. The cards are stacked against you in Miami in my opinion, now in saying that going to college for 3-4yrs shouldn't make much of a difference if you stay or go unless you really want to experience something different as I left because I knew I couldn't achieve my goals in Miami.

Yea I agree. This is much deeper than just football and being a fan. Especially for these kids that are using football to better their life.

Advertisement

sorry, but your relative is either an idiot or completely misinformed - I'll let you be the judge of that.

I doubt he has stepped foot on campus in a long while and looked at the entire athletic faiclity. Now, back in the early 00s, he absolutely could say the things he is saying - but not anymore. They have spent millions of dollars for new facilities for football throughout. Is it Oregon? Of course not but it's definitely good enough.

As for kids wanting to get away from sofla, there are many possible reasons for that...

- bag game getting much stronger in many schools
- this is a global culture
- amount of games on TV

The 2 FIU players getting shot does not help us at all.

Dent kept on saying, he needed to go somewhere where he is safe
Rique said he needed to experience something new
Lucas said he needed to get out of Miami
Ladson said the same thing about needing to get out of Miami.

You falling for the classic "he needs to get out of dade because of the bad influences" faulty line of thinking. Ariz used to love throwing that line out there,

sorry, but your relative is either an idiot or completely misinformed - I'll let you be the judge of that.

I doubt he has stepped foot on campus in a long while and looked at the entire athletic faiclity. Now, back in the early 00s, he absolutely could say the things he is saying - but not anymore. They have spent millions of dollars for new facilities for football throughout. Is it Oregon? Of course not but it's definitely good enough.

As for kids wanting to get away from sofla, there are many possible reasons for that...

- bag game getting much stronger in many schools
- this is a global culture
- amount of games on TV
Gogeta just said that a player that signed in the previous class said the exact same thing. I'm quite sure our facilities have improved from the early 2000s but we're still not on par with most of the top schools according to folks who have been on campus within the past 2 years

Or their reasoning could be that they've experienced the SoFlo lifestyle for most of their years and want something new.

Advertisement
Back