Leaving South Florida?

CanesFan93

Junior
I had a conversation with a family member who's connected with pee-wee and high school football and we started talking recruiting. Since he's way more involved than me I asked why do kids leave SF so frequently and he said verbatim "Ya'll dorms and locker rooms are outdated. Miami is a small private school, ya'll are not going to impress these boys who just seen million dollar facilities." Then went on to praise Clemson, Bama, Washington, and Oregon's facilities.

But the thing that stuck out the most and he emphasized a lot is that these guys want to get away. He went on to say "Most of these kids have lived in SF for 16-18 years. What else do they need to see?" I didn't specifically ask if people and or outside forces were enforcing this but I kinda assumed by the way he was speaking.

Has anyone heard the same or similar?

Advertisement
I had a conversation with a family member who's connected with pee-wee and high school football and we started talking recruiting. Since he's way more involved than me I asked why do kids leave SF so frequently and he said verbatim "Ya'll dorms and locker rooms are outdated. Miami is a small private school, ya'll are not going to impress these boys who just seen million dollar facilities." Then went on to praise Clemson, Bama, Washington, and Oregon's facilities.

But the thing that stuck out the most and he emphasized a lot is that these guys want to get away. He went on to say "Most of these kids have lived in SF for 16-18 years. What else do they need to see?" I didn't specifically ask if people and or outside forces were enforcing this but I kinda assumed by the way he was speaking.

Has anyone heard the same or similar?
Yeah some coaches/street agents not all clearly influence their kids to leave south Florida and it just happened recently with Stevenson imo.

The dorm excuse is valid, Miami’s dorms are sh*tty, but that complaint won’t be valid anymore with the new dorms being finished over the next year or so. They are already making a lot of progress on its construction

Yeah some coaches/street agents not all clearly influence their kids to leave south Florida and it just happened recently with Stevenson imo.

The dorm excuse is valid, Miami’s dorms are sh*tty, but that complaint won’t be valid anymore with the new dorms being finished over the next year or so. They are already making a lot of progress on its construction

Where is our electrical GC to tell us when the finish date will be???

I will say this having lived in Miami as an outsider. The Miami that these kids live in is nothing like the Miami that some of us experience. Overtwon, Lil Havanna is not like Brickell, South Beach. Some of these kids want to get away. As an adult we sometimes think about how great it is to live down there with money but their experience can be quite different.

I will say this having lived in Miami as an outsider. The Miami that these kids live in is nothing like the Miami that some of us experience. Overtwon, Lil Havanna is not like Brickell, South Beach. Some of these kids want to get away. As an adult we sometimes think about how great it is to live down there with money but their experience can be quite different.
I understand get away but at the end of the day there are bad areas everywhere, and you are going to find trouble if you are actively looking for it anyway. So when I hear that as a reason why kids leave then that’s bullsh*t to me tbh

Advertisement
thats why there is a whole United States you can recruit from, ofc u should look at SFL, but get the kids that want to come here and have a huge work ethic. And no i'm not saying get the 2 stars and N/A, which there are some good ones like Roger Yarde, but there are plenty of 4 stars and legit 3 stars who will come here, perform well, and has the potential to compete with 5 stars. It's called evaluatuting talent.

Last edited:
I do think the small private school has some leg too. Why not go to a college city of 20-100 thousand people that probably will worship the home team and breathe football all year around.
I still think Miami would put those things away with winning, but it matters when you're barely top 25 program

I understand get away but at the end of the day there are bad areas everywhere, and you are going to find trouble if you are actively looking for it anyway. So when I hear that as a reason why kids leave then that’s bullsh*t to me tbh

I agree! I'm not talking about bad here's what I'm saying if you struggled your whole life in an area the area may represent struggle to you, then you move away that area represents opportunity. Which can be right or wrong. A good person can thrive in any environment. My biggest issue is how the kids that choose to leave do it.

Advertisement
I do think the small private school has some leg too. Why not go to a college city of 20-100 thousand people that probably will worship the home team and breathe football all year around.
I still think Miami would put those things away with winning, but it matters when you're barely top 25 program

That's the heart of the issue right there. The state-of-the-art facilities and adoring local fan base certainly give their programs a recruiting advantage, but it doesn't remotely compare to the fact that we're an average Power 5 team recruiting directly for all of our recruits against perennial Top 10 programs. All they have to do is ask the kid if they'd rather win 14 or 15 games a year, or win 7. The fact that we're even in serious consideration for a lot of these guys is wild. Win 10 games a few years in a row and we'll start winning more of these recruiting battles.

They are saying they want something new, just like I did when I left Hialeah for UCF! I never looked back!

The facilities are much better than they've ever been, but they're still pretty ****** overall.

The new dorms are going to be very nice. But the football offices/complex is middle of the road, at absolute best, even including the new IPF.
How is the new football offices middle of the road if they just got constructed? Imo Miami needs a locker room renovation and new football lounge as well

Advertisement
The facilities are much better than they've ever been and the new dorms are going to be sick! Having said that, all of that crap pales in comparison to winning. We start winning again and we'll land the big names; we keep putting a sh-t product on the field and we won't. It's really that simple. Miami hasn't been a winning program at any point in current HS kids' lives. Why would they come to The U?

Our facilities being outdated is old. We just built new football facilities and are about to finish up new dorms. Our locker room is fine. It’s not UGA good but it’s not a bad locker room. Your friend is just giving excuses.

While I'm not discounting any of that stuff being said as factors contributing to it. At the end of the day they are still just excuses to justify not going to Miami because we aren't winning. When Miami wins they are talked about all over the place nationally and not just South Florida, but when they aren't winning no one gives a **** including South Florida.

Kids go to schools in college towns where they are the show and it feels good to be worshiped to an extent like that. Miami wins, it takes care of itself.

Advertisement
How is the new football offices middle of the road if they just got constructed? Imo Miami needs a locker room renovation and new football lounge as well

Ask around to people who know, who visit multiple schools. They're not even close to best in the country. Better than ever, absolutely. But you have to understand, Miami had THE WORST power 5 facilities in the country. By a mile. The absolute worst. Now they're maybe middle of the road? Somewhere in that neighborhood. Just because they're new doesn't mean a thing. They're still lagging behind considerably in comparison to the top 20 or so facilities in the country.

From my experience growing up down here and playing football and other sports all you here is get out of here. Even though the school is in coral gables the neighborhood they grow up in is no farther then an hour away. Look at Nunn for example Syracuse is a 3 hour FLIGHT coral gables is less than an hour drive. Not making excuses on why but i understand in these neighborhoods your friends die everyday and they think leaving it they won't deal with that anymore

Another thing is most of their life they know Miami on the field as a ****** team and all the great stuff they here about are from there older relatives or people around them but they haven't seen Miami great in person

Advertisement
Back