Leaving South Florida?

I understand get away but at the end of the day there are bad areas everywhere, and you are going to find trouble if you are actively looking for it anyway. So when I hear that as a reason why kids leave then that’s bullsh*t to me tbh

Who said anything about trouble?

As far as "bad areas everywhere" are concerned, best believe if UGA or Bama offered to buy my Momma a crib sittin' on acres I'm bouncin'...anybody who says otherwise is a ******' fool.

Advertisement
I get it. Bags aside, some kids want to get away from mom and/or dad, get out of the house, get some strange, etc.... But I have to imagine there are kids like this in Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and (I know, I know) California. Figure out which kids from those states want to go OOS and work to bring them in.

It’s really pathetic how people blame local kids for the state of UM football. UM is the institutional equivalent of a crazy guy who pours gasoline on himself then lights a match. And our fans are the equivalent of that person’s family blaming the gas company, and the store that sold the matches. Gtfooh.

Miami kids are doing what is in their own best interests for something more important than our fun. Their lives. If UM can’t credibly offer a competitive opportunity, then blame UM. If we get to the point where we do offer that opportunity, then more than likely, plenty of kids will want to stay home, be a hometown star, ***** hotties on the beach and all that. What attracts kids to staying home hasn’t changed. What’s changed is our program stinks to high hesven and the secret is out.

If your argument is that they are doing what's in their best interest for their life, than I disagree. If you are comparing to Alabama or Georgia, neither offers a better education (a gift for life). Hometown contacts and networking will be better acquired and utilized by staying home. The path to the NFL is just as strong if you go to UM or you go to Alabama or Georgia.

Difference is:
ACC Revenue Share: 2016-2017 --- $26.2 million Miami payout
SEC Revenue Share: 2016-2017 --- $40.4 million average payout

Now factor in cost of living differences between Miami and Athens or Tuscaloosa.

It's not just winning and losing. Our home turf has been raided since the SEC tv contract was signed and we can't compete with this disadvantage. Winning has become harder when we keep losing our best and most talented to this conference and their money. Ever wonder why ESPN was slamming us with Shapiro scandal right as they were putting together the SEC tv contract? A good coach can overcome a lot, but even though we are based in a fertile recruiting ground, we are playing in a disadvantaged system.

Yeah some coaches/street agents not all clearly influence their kids to leave south Florida and it just happened recently with Stevenson imo.

The dorm excuse is valid, Miami’s dorms are sh*tty, but that complaint won’t be valid anymore with the new dorms being finished over the next year or so. They are already making a lot of progress on its construction

Yes, the dorms suck, and yes the excuse will still be valid. The new dorms are only going to house a small portion of the population. Still have four towers, Mahoney/Pearson and Eaton, all of which are super dated and years from getting facelifts. I believe the towers are slated to get an update next, and they sorely need it.

However, the University Village is rather new (2005) and I thought most of the football players that lived on campus lived there. You saw it in many of the Raising Canes videos. Beyond that, I lived off-campus for a year in Gables by Sunset Place and absolutely loved it. Short walk to school and Sunset, and regularly had supercars driving by my front door.

I thought the locker room had been redone. The whole facilities thing kind of boggles my mind. I get we don't have unreal facilities, but when is enough enough?

I will say this having lived in Miami as an outsider. The Miami that these kids live in is nothing like the Miami that some of us experience. Overtwon, Lil Havanna is not like Brickell, South Beach. Some of these kids want to get away. As an adult we sometimes think about how great it is to live down there with money but their experience can be quite different.

Well said. I mean right down the street from campus you have places like The Collection and Merrick Park just dripping with money. Gables is an absolutely beautiful city. It's like going from Compton to Beverly Hills.

Advertisement
So when the kids in the terrible areas of LA, Baton Rouge, and so on stay with their hometown teams then what? There is always an excuse, or always something better somewhere else. Miami's facilities are on par with most colleges, and consider USC when it come's to recruiting they play in an old NFL stadium off campus, their facilities are pretty similar, but they continue to produce top class after top class with Clay ***** Helton of all people, difference is their Admin cares and makes football a priority and there is a different mentality to these players.

South Florida kids are front runners, plain and simple. They play in 4 different optimist teams, 3 different 7v7 teams, and 3 different HS before they ever even see a college campus. Its a weak mentality in SFLA and has been for awhile. Winning helps, but its a culture thing in SFLA and until that changes, nothing else will.

Difference is NOT the degree to which the Admin cares. USC has a LOT more money than Miami.

You are right, for some reason I thought it was like 10 blocks away, anyways still stands. A small, urban college with similar facilities does not have these same issues.

Enrollment at USC is 44,000. Miami is 17,000. What "small" college are you talking about?

If your argument is that they are doing what's in their best interest for their life, than I disagree. If you are comparing to Alabama or Georgia, neither offers a better education (a gift for life). Hometown contacts and networking will be better acquired and utilized by staying home. The path to the NFL is just as strong if you go to UM or you go to Alabama or Georgia.

Difference is:
ACC Revenue Share: 2016-2017 --- $26.2 million Miami payout
SEC Revenue Share: 2016-2017 --- $40.4 million average payout

Now factor in cost of living differences between Miami and Athens or Tuscaloosa.

It's not just winning and losing. Our home turf has been raided since the SEC tv contract was signed and we can't compete with this disadvantage. Winning has become harder when we keep losing our best and most talented to this conference and their money. Ever wonder why ESPN was slamming us with Shapiro scandal right as they were putting together the SEC tv contract? A good coach can overcome a lot, but even though we are based in a fertile recruiting ground, we are playing in a disadvantaged system.
How convenient that Miami fans think they know better than the kids themselves what is in their best interests.

You can think whatever you want. The kids are telling you they disagree. I’m sure you think you know better. It’s not your choice however. Miami can complain and whine, or make itself relevant.

Enrollment at USC is 44,000. Miami is 17,000. What "small" college are you talking about?

Umm USC not USC jr

University of Southern California is a private institution that was founded in 1880. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 19,170

Advertisement
Umm USC not USC jr

University of Southern California is a private institution that was founded in 1880. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 19,170

Ummmm yeah. I can read and I know what I'm talking about. You're quoting undergrad enrollment genius.

Enrollment ACCORDING TO USC is 47,500 for this academic year.

Its the same for many College students in general. Maybe the majority of college kids stick with the university close by, but a ****load move away from home to go to college. Its really not that crazy to want to get away for college. And for these top South Florida athletes, when you have big schools paying you thousands to go there, it just makes it that much of an easier decision.

If you gave the choice to normal college students of: A) staying close to home or B) Going a few states away to a bigger school and they'll PAY YOU to go there, its not even a question what the vast majority of students would choose....especially since its not like their actual college experience is going to be all that worse for going to that other school, in all likelihood it'll be just as fun. The biggest negative is likely that the academics is not quite as good, but if you are going there FOR FOOTBALL, even that is not as important.

How convenient that Miami fans think they know better than the kids themselves what is in their best interests.

You can think whatever you want. The kids are telling you they disagree. I’m sure you think you know better. It’s not your choice however. Miami can complain and whine, or make itself relevant.

I would argue most adults know what is in a teenager's best interest better than the teenager does.

Thing is, I don't care where you go, your odds of making it to the NFL (and actually staying there for more than a few years) are extremely low. So let's say you go to Bama. You're a five-star guy, you KNOW you're going to make the league. But it doesn't pan out for whatever reason. You get hurt, don't develop, whatever. Now you have a degree from Bama that's only worth anything in Alabama, and all your connections are in a podunk backwater nothing town. Not only is the value of your education relatively low, but you probably didn't get a whole lot of personal attention in class and sat in large lecture halls where you didn't need to really think.

What do you do with that?

Compare that to Miami. Same path to the NFL, similar historical production. You land at a much more academically rigorous school, with small classes, have your family nearby to support you, live in a big, diverse city and have a truly international alumni base to call upon.

It's one thing to choose a place like Michigan or Texas over Miami, but Bama, LSU etc are not better decisions on the whole.

Advertisement
Its the same for many College students in general. Maybe the majority of college kids stick with the university close by, but a ****load move away from home to go to college. Its really not that crazy to want to get away for college. And for these top South Florida athletes, when you have big schools paying you thousands to go there, it just makes it that much of an easier decision.

If you gave the choice to normal college students of: A) staying close to home or B) Going a few states away to a bigger school and they'll PAY YOU to go there, its not even a question what the vast majority of students would choose....especially since its not like their actual college experience is going to be all that worse for going to that other school, in all likelihood it'll be just as fun. The biggest negative is likely that the academics is not quite as good, but if you are going there FOR FOOTBALL, even that is not as important.

Problem with this is you can't compare football players to "normal college students" because many if not most of the players recruited to any one powerhouse program would not have otherwise even entertained attending that program or a comparable one academically. They go for football and a chance to make the league, every guy that goes to a big program thinks he's going to make the league, very few do and even fewer sustain a career.

It's kind of like wanting to spend a career as an engineer but you want to see if you can make it as an actor first, so you go to theater school instead of engineering school. That is a dumb thing to do.

Problem with this is you can't compare football players to "normal college students" because many if not most of the players recruited to any one powerhouse program would not have otherwise even entertained attending that program or a comparable one academically. They go for football and a chance to make the league, every guy that goes to a big program thinks he's going to make the league, very few do and even fewer sustain a career.

It's kind of like wanting to spend a career as an engineer but you want to see if you can make it as an actor first, so you go to theater school instead of engineering school. That is a dumb thing to do.
Not really. Its important to chase your dreams.

Advertisement
Ain’t no school going to be able to compete with these living spaces on campus in the country

This is different from Housing village that will be completed within the next year or so

Last edited:
Lottery is something you have Literally no control of. Its not even close to the same.

Like you have control over being injured?

Making the league and winning the lottery are both statistically unlikely to happen.

But how about a better example... I want to date Shakira, but I'm gonna have a backup plan.

Like you have control over being injured?

Making the league and winning the lottery are both statistically unlikely to happen.

But how about a better example... I want to date Shakira, but I'm gonna have a backup plan.
The difference is if you want to become an actor and you go to school to work at it, you can make it happen. Same with being a pro player. Obviously it takes natural talent, but if you work at it it CAN be accomplished

Advertisement
Back