LB's for next year

Canesfan1899

All-American
Premium
So does Manny let a guy like McCloud come back for a 6th year? IMO he needs to let guys like McCloud and Jennings know, hopefully starting in the bowl game, that the young guys are going to get their reps. We need to see more of Sam Brooks, Corey Flagg, Tirek Austin-Cave and Avery Huff again hopefully starting in the bowl game.

Jennings was a great story making his comeback but he is not a power 5 caliber LB and neither is McCloud anymore. Those guys have been exposed all season by any team with a pulse and it's time for them to move on.

We have guys coming in that can upgrade the athleticism at LB and my hope is with a kid like Troutman coming in during the spring we can get him ready to compete for some reps and to contribute on special teams.

Advertisement
So does Manny let a guy like McCloud come back for a 6th year? IMO he needs to let guys like McCloud and Jennings know, hopefully starting in the bowl game, that the young guys are going to get their reps. We need to see more of Sam Brooks, Corey Flagg, Tirek Austin-Cave and Avery Huff again hopefully starting in the bowl game.

Jennings was a great story making his comeback but he is not a power 5 caliber LB and neither is McCloud anymore. Those guys have been exposed all season by any team with a pulse and it's time for them to move on.

We have guys coming in that can upgrade the athleticism at LB and my hope is with a kid like Troutman coming in during the spring we can get him ready to compete for some reps and to contribute on special teams.
Unc was proof these guys need to go. The staff needs to take a long hard look at portal , even though I was told that wasn’t the plan. Some reevaluating needs done.

Unc was proof these guys need to go. The staff needs to take a long hard look at portal , even though I was told that wasn’t the plan. Some reevaluating needs done.
Totally agree, I was astounded watching Jennings and McCloud essentially block themselves by taking awful angles and running into blockers. Those are upper classmen and they looked like 2 star freshman.

Advertisement
I always thought that was his best position by his build and hs film. He’s explosive but lacks change of direction.

McCloud would NOT count towards the 85 for next year, so I have no problems keeping him on the roster to try him at a new position.

1 more year of weight room too.

Advertisement
So, let me play the game here. Jennings leaves to Maryland to play with his brother. McCloud departs to a smaller Florida school (my bet is Fau). A full spring goes by and we open next season with Huff and Cave as LB grouping 1 and Flagg and Brooks as LB grouping 2.

Advertisement
I’d be cool with that but I doubt he’d want to switch , if that’s the case he’s useless at lb.

well the transfer portal is going to be jammed packed, so if he wants to play another year of LB he will have a real issue finding a landing spot.

If he wants to come back as a DE, that would be good for both sides. We get another body at DE, McCloud gets to finish his doctorate.

I have 0 faith that the current defensive coaching staff won't be rolling out Jennings to start against Bama.

Exactly

If Manny doesn’t bring in a new DC, we’re starting Jennings and McCloud if he comes back for a 6th year

Bama runs for 500+ yards against us and Manny begins his campaign to get fired

If he brings in a new DC and staff, we should see -

1. Brooks
2. TAC
3. Huff
4. Flagg

Advertisement
I feel like we say this every year and the young guys never seem to be any better. I think we often get fooled by seeing young players on the field and automatically assuming they are the real deal.....and then we find out that they aren't.

That being said, McCloud and Jennings are meh.

Advertisement
Back