LB Coach Possibilities

Advertisement
I'm not being sarcastic. Sure there are better names but I don't think Barrow is terrible. That was my feeling on Jess Simpson- there are a few better DL coaches out there but it's not a huge miss. I don't think Barrow stopped coaching because he couldn't get a job, I think there were personal reasons for it. And in terms of his coaching ability, K.J. Wright credited Barrows work as a big reason he made his first pro bowl.

https://www.theolympian.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article121600717.html

"On a defense full of stars, Wright often gets lost in the discussion of elite players not only on his team, but around the league.

But the former fourth-round pick out of Mississippi State knows it’s been a steady progression.

Last season, as a three-down linebacker, Wright was as sure-handed a tackler as there was in the league. He played 994 snaps and missed four tackles, according to Pro Football Focus.

But as good as he was stopping ball-carriers, Wright said he knew he had to be better in pass coverage.

So he and linebackers coach Michael Barrow took a long look on how he was defending tight ends and running backs in space.

“We looked at my technique,” Wright said. “I am 6-foot-4 and 250 pounds, and I have long arms, so (Barrow) thought, ‘Go up there and challenge them and don’t give them anything.’

“Guys had success when I gave them something and played off them. I had to start challenging these dudes.”“

—---------

You wouldn't want a LB coach who has proven he can improve a LBs technique and make him better?

All of that is cool, nice, and good. I already said why I’m good on Barrow. My preference is for a younger, more hungry coach who isn’t potentially out of the loop and no longer up to speed with the game and hasn’t been around football in 4 years. I’m not really interested in what he did with an NFL player who was already a starter on a SB champion team that was also one of the best defenses in modern NFL history 4 seasons ago, JMO. All moot, I really don’t think he will be considered and isn’t even looking to get back into coaching anyway. He is home for a reason.

If there was ever a position on our defense that needs an elite touch it’s the linebackers.

After a season that saw an unacceptable amount of missed tackles, bad form and lack of aggressiveness from a historically legendary spot in Canes history, this hire looms largest IMO.

With Baker and Patke out, the first assumption is that Manny takes over the LBs.

However, if word of discussions between Ed and Manny are true, you have to believe Ed recommended the room have a full timer and excellent recruiter.

Looking at options for this position, here are names I’d love to see:

Charlie Strong:

The first and most unlikely name, Strong is an excellent coach and disciplined leader. Currently an analyst at Alabama, strong brings great experience. However, his chops as a recruiter don’t show up often enough to be a stand alone there. Having Telly Lockette jump in on field as ST could make a great combo.

Michael Barrow:

Another strong, yet unforeseen possibility, is current Seahawks LB coach Michael Barrow. A wildly proven coach and recruiter, with pro bowlers and a solid recruiting record to his name, would be a slam dunk. A second go round as coach in the Gables would return the standard that Ed Reed is looking for in the locker room.

Randy Shannon:

I’ve heard of some smoke here but Shannon would be a solid if unspectacular hire. A prodigal son of sorts after a polarizing HC campaign at Miami, coach Shannon has bounced around in the south east region, carrying the same great touch with LBs and recruiting. A third return home may be the charm for the former Cane.

Who else do you guys like? Who have you heard? Who do you think we need? Let’s hear it!
Let's go "steal" Leavitt from SMU for DC/LB, then we have ex-SMU guys at OC and DC for whatever the **** that means at all.

Would be a great pickup as a recruiter.

He’s from Ft. Pierce, went to St. Lucie West Centennial (which is where Kamari Wilson went before transferring to IMG), he played LB at Miss St when Dan Mullen first got the job there & he was an assistant recruiting director for UF last year.

He just got hired as a Senior Defensive Analyst at Miss St a few months ago.
If you like it I like it bro.

Advertisement
Tyrone Nix, Joseph Gillespie, Peter Sirmon
Don’t think Nix would be a candidate as he was fired by UTSA 5 days ago for “inappropriate sexual misconduct”. Do you think we need to offer Gillespie the DC title as well to bring him?

Don’t think Nix would be a candidate as he was fired by UTSA 5 days ago for “inappropriate sexual misconduct”. Do you think we need to offer Gillespie the DC title as well to bring him?
I didn’t know that about Nix.

And I doubt we’d even call Gillespie, I just mentied him because he’s a really good DC/LB’s coach.

Just bring me someone who can properly evaluate and develop talent cuz what we saw last year was an abomination at linebacker here at UM and we need a coach who can ensure we go nowhere but up

Advertisement
If I was a betting man, I'd bet that Heupel is not going to retain Kevin Steele.

"The Tennessee Vols’ search for a new defensive coordinator has been messy from the outside looking in.

Tennessee has pretty much ignored Kevin Steele while swinging and missing at Louisville’s Bryan Brown, USC’s Todd Orlando, and Ohio State’s Al Washington."

I believe Heupel and White were holding onto Steele only as a last resort- if they struck out on every candidate he might have been in line for the job. Since they just hired Banks, I think Steele is going to get a pink slip in the very near future. Miami should be reaching out to him with the understanding by both parties that he's almost certainly one and done as DC/LB coach, but it would make Diaz's life a **** of a lot easier.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that Heupel is not going to retain Kevin Steele.

"The Tennessee Vols’ search for a new defensive coordinator has been messy from the outside looking in.

Tennessee has pretty much ignored Kevin Steele while swinging and missing at Louisville’s Bryan Brown, USC’s Todd Orlando, and Ohio State’s Al Washington."

I believe Heupel and White were holding onto Steele only as a last resort- if they struck out on every candidate he might have been in line for the job. Since they just hired Banks, I think Steele is going to get a pink slip in the very near future. Miami should be reaching out to him with the understanding by both parties that he's almost certainly one and done as DC/LB coach, but it would make Diaz's life a **** of a lot easier.
Don’t think Manny will hire a guy that will be looking to take his job from day 1....

Advertisement
Would be a great pickup as a recruiter.

He’s from Ft. Pierce, went to St. Lucie West Centennial (which is where Kamari Wilson went before transferring to IMG), he played LB at Miss St when Dan Mullen first got the job there & he was an assistant recruiting director for UF last year.

He just got hired as a Senior Defensive Analyst at Miss St a few months ago.
hes following manny

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back