LB Coach Possibilities

PittsburghCane

Redshirt Freshman
If there was ever a position on our defense that needs an elite touch it’s the linebackers.

After a season that saw an unacceptable amount of missed tackles, bad form and lack of aggressiveness from a historically legendary spot in Canes history, this hire looms largest IMO.

With Baker and Patke out, the first assumption is that Manny takes over the LBs.

However, if word of discussions between Ed and Manny are true, you have to believe Ed recommended the room have a full timer and excellent recruiter.

Looking at options for this position, here are names I’d love to see:

Charlie Strong:

The first and most unlikely name, Strong is an excellent coach and disciplined leader. Currently an analyst at Alabama, strong brings great experience. However, his chops as a recruiter don’t show up often enough to be a stand alone there. Having Telly Lockette jump in on field as ST could make a great combo.

Michael Barrow:

Another strong, yet unforeseen possibility, is current Seahawks LB coach Michael Barrow. A wildly proven coach and recruiter, with pro bowlers and a solid recruiting record to his name, would be a slam dunk. A second go round as coach in the Gables would return the standard that Ed Reed is looking for in the locker room.

Randy Shannon:

I’ve heard of some smoke here but Shannon would be a solid if unspectacular hire. A prodigal son of sorts after a polarizing HC campaign at Miami, coach Shannon has bounced around in the south east region, carrying the same great touch with LBs and recruiting. A third return home may be the charm for the former Cane.

Who else do you guys like? Who have you heard? Who do you think we need? Let’s hear it!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Jeff Ulbrich would be a strong pick. He was the LB coach and interim DC on the Falcons this year so he could be available. He was the LB coach at UCLA where he coached/recruited several NFL players: Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, Myles Jack, Jayon Brown, Kenny Young, etc. He also would have gotten Roquan Smith to UCLA but he left to the Falcons.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Charlie Strong as DC and LB coach maybe, no way he's taking a position coach role only.

Michael Barrow, too far of a step down for him.

Randy Shannon, NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO 48-0 UVA never forget.
There are still Louisville wr’s running wide open on Shannon!

Advertisement
Lol at this same comment over and over to judge a great coach and recruiter.
Different sport but my coach in college always used to say, "you always want to recruit well enough that it doesn't have to come down to coaching"

Obviously that's sort of the Ron Zook school of thought but there's some validity to it. You need to recruit (or pay) an elite level to compete for a CFB championship, there's no getting around that. I think Manny knows this and outside of the CB position we accomplished that in 2020

Advertisement
Back