Off-Topic Law school

Law school is a waste of time for the most part. It’s job security for professors who weren’t good enough to practice law. Adjuncts teach you more. You basically pay for law school then pay for a bar prep program and learn how to be a lawyer when you graduate. They should just make you apprentice to be an attorney. You’d have less and better lawyers. Too many people go to law school for wrong reasons.
If we're being honest here don't adjuncts teach you more in every discipline, not just law?

Advertisement
I was leading the charge brother! I was actually quite shocked when he didn't get it. Shocked but at the same time it was par for the course at UM to ***** up such an obvious grand slam hire.
actually not shocking at all that the Marxist faculty would prevail and hire a MexicoGerman academic with no leadership skills who feels more comfortable talking about how white Europeans savaged the harmless, innocent Indian. of course, when Covid hit they all felt redeemed since Frenk is an epidemiologist, but that comet has fizzled and we are back to reality.

Law school is a waste of time for the most part. It’s job security for professors who weren’t good enough to practice law. Adjuncts teach you more. You basically pay for law school then pay for a bar prep program and learn how to be a lawyer when you graduate. They should just make you apprentice to be an attorney. You’d have less and better lawyers. Too many people go to law school for wrong reasons.

in my class, i looked around and at least 1/3 of the class had no business being in law school. some of them probably never practiced and the others hung a shingle and practiced door law and are mucking up the entire profession and system

in my class, i looked around and at least 1/3 of the class had no business being in law school. some of them probably never practiced and the others hung a shingle and practiced door law and are mucking up the entire profession and system
Yup

actually not shocking at all that the Marxist faculty would prevail and hire a MexicoGerman academic with no leadership skills who feels more comfortable talking about how white Europeans savaged the harmless, innocent Indian. of course, when Covid hit they all felt redeemed since Frenk is an epidemiologist, but that comet has fizzled and we are back to reality.
I couldn't have said that any better myself.

Advertisement
What would largely cure it is the same semi-requirement of a couple of years of work experience before applying, similar to business school. But that would be bad for business for the law schools. Having in-house experience now that I am back at a firm has been invaluable and made me much better at what I do.

you dont have to practice law even though youve gone to LS and passed the bar. there are many that find different interests. they arent the ones messing up the reputation or the practice though. the issue really is especially in FL is that you have too many lawyers with very little ethical values in a very litigation heavy state based on a single practice area: insurance. the rules are set up in FL to basically make it a defense/plaintiff insurance practice state. there needs to big reforms in that area if you want to enhance the rep of the state.

also, the true barrier to entry for law is the bar and not school itself. FIU has done extremely well building up their law school as a whole while miami has failed and has largely lived off being UM. it isnt nearly worth the dime unless youre given a full ride with better public options in state (UF, FSU, FIU)

you dont have to practice law even though youve gone to LS and passed the bar. there are many that find different interests. they arent the ones messing up the reputation or the practice though. the issue really is especially in FL is that you have too many lawyers with very little ethical values in a very litigation heavy state based on a single practice area: insurance. the rules are set up in FL to basically make it a defense/plaintiff insurance practice state. there needs to big reforms in that area if you want to enhance the rep of the state.

also, the true barrier to entry for law is the bar and not school itself. FIU has done extremely well building up their law school as a whole while miami has failed and has largely lived off being UM. it isnt nearly worth the dime unless youre given a full ride with better public options in state (UF, FSU, FIU)

huh? insurance practice state? i don't think so

huh? insurance practice state? i don't think so
look it up. florida is a lit heavy state with some of the larger firms making up pure ID practice firms due to the lit friendly laws (mainly surrounding civil lit). part of the reason its a miserable place to practice with a ton of shoddy attorneys is due to that. we also pay less on average than other states despite COL being higher. also combine that with the 1400 law schools we have in the state. regardless, as you know, the barrier to entry isnt the JD. its the bar. a lot of JDs at some of these schools never even pass the bar

Advertisement
look it up. florida is a lit heavy state with some of the larger firms making up pure ID practice firms due to the lit friendly laws (mainly surrounding civil lit). part of the reason its a miserable place to practice with a ton of shoddy attorneys is due to that. we also pay less on average than other states despite COL being higher. also combine that with the 1400 law schools we have in the state. regardless, as you know, the barrier to entry isnt the JD. its the bar. a lot of JDs at some of these schools never even pass the bar

you are lost on this one, but carry on.

While Frenk is viewed by people that work with him as a good guy who’s a pleasant boss, he’s been a mostly unmitigated disaster as President. Other than the STEM fields (and even that’s debatable) the rest of the school has cratered. He also isn’t a big fundraiser.

I’ve said it before and will say it again, Frenk hasn’t had the confidence of many very important people at UM for awhile. I know for a fact that one very important member of the BOT has expressed that Frenk’s hiring was a mistake. I would be absolutely shocked if he isn’t out at the end of his contract.

Yeah. He only got 5 more years because of COVID, and that's the truth.

Advertisement
I was literally about to post the flatulence part. That was in 2008 or so.

WTF? Did the guy have a sphincter-ectomy? How can you not hold a fart in FOR AN HOUR? Maybe in his old Wall Street days, a NY ********** did some irreversible damage to his intestinal tract?

WTF? Did the guy have a sphincter-ectomy? How can you not hold a fart in FOR AN HOUR? Maybe in his old Wall Street days, a NY ********** did some irreversible damage to his intestinal tract?
Possible side effect of hemorrhoid removal surgery.

I ain't tryin' to get in the middle of a donnybrook between you and @rsa coral gables , though I tend to agree with you (and I obviously know more about Tax than torts/insurance, so forgive the intrusion).

But I do recall a very traumatic Day 1 speech given by Professor Graham to my Torts class, when he impressed upon us the importance of knowing Torts if you wanted to practice law in Florida. Granted, it was January 1994 when he said this, but I tend to think that Torts is still an important subject in Florida practice.

Plus, this...

1711552831740.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back