Off-Topic Law school

I’m not calling out @TheOriginalCane … I’m calling him into the thread about the law school…

For useless drama, see the Cormani McClain thread

Don't be so modest. You stir **** frequently and intentinally. Don't play coy.

See, generally, your second sentence...

Advertisement
As they say in Alabama, "As long as football gets priority at the University, I reckon things will be just fine around this here place."

To be clear, I don't really care about the why or reasons for firing. But the law school is a sinking ship and having no consistent leader to have a vision isn't helping. As Miami is growing as a legitimate business city and law firms are opening Miami offices to serve those clients, it should be going in the opposite direction from where it has been headed.
Same with comp sci. Just complete bystanders during a golden opportunity.

While Frenk is viewed by people that work with him as a good guy who’s a pleasant boss, he’s been a mostly unmitigated disaster as President. Other than the STEM fields (and even that’s debatable) the rest of the school has cratered. He also isn’t a big fundraiser.

I’ve said it before and will say it again, Frenk hasn’t had the confidence of many very important people at UM for awhile. I know for a fact that one very important member of the BOT has expressed that Frenk’s hiring was a mistake. I would be absolutely shocked if he isn’t out at the end of his contract.

Advertisement
I hate to say it, because I'm a proud UMSOL alum, but I'd rather send my oldest son to FIU's SOL as its 1/3 the tuition and is earning a reputation as the better school.
Proud FIU law grad and that was exactly my thought at the time.

Once I decided that I’d stay in South Florida then FIU law made more sense.

UM law is probably still better if you’re looking to practice in the northeast like NY.

Sorry that I missed taking a class with Manning, he always struck me as a limp fish, but it sounds like you got a lot out of the course. I took Lit Skills and Clinical, so I didn't have as many available credits, but now I wish I would have taken his M&A class.

I ended up getting some of that stuff in a course I took in the LL.M. Tax program (not at Miami).
You aren’t wrong. He wasn’t very enthusiastic but whatever one could get out of him was valuable since he was involved in the high flying hostile take overs and wild M&A scene in the 80s. True story. He walked around farting loudly and without shame. I think he couldn’t control it

Eliot Mannings class is the hardest final exam I've ever taken. The take home final took me about 30 hours to complete.

And I still didn't learn a single thing in that class lol. Idk what year you took him, but in 2017, he was cooked already. Guy should've retired for sure (RIP).
Sheet bro. I took him in 1994. All his exams were impossible. Trying to solve high end deal issues. If you were able to identify 25% of the issues you got an A

Advertisement
I have very solid connections within the law school world. It has been well-discussed that both Stetson and UM fully embraced the woke liberal model in efforts to improve their “rankings” (UF and FSU did not). They hired to push that narrative. Both have suffered massive failures. Bar passage rates cratered. Job rankings collapsed. Big donors rejected them and without money you can’t attract students that will be high achieving future donors. I don’t know if they will recover.

I got out of law school many many many years ago. I don’t remember my deans name. I did have Archibald Cox. My school got me my first job as a law clerk. After that, school didn’t mean much. If you want to be a lawyer, just enjoy learning how to think and write like a lawyer. That is what matters, imo.

I got out of law school many many many years ago. I don’t remember my deans name. I did have Archibald Cox. My school got me my first job as a law clerk. After that, school didn’t mean much. If you want to be a lawyer, just enjoy learning how to think and write like a lawyer. That is what matters, imo.
Agree with this 100%. Where you go helps with your first job. After that, in most cases, it’s up to you.

Advertisement
While Frenk is viewed by people that work with him as a good guy who’s a pleasant boss, he’s been a mostly unmitigated disaster as President. Other than the STEM fields (and even that’s debatable) the rest of the school has cratered. He also isn’t a big fundraiser.

I’ve said it before and will say it again, Frenk hasn’t had the confidence of many very important people at UM for awhile. I know for a fact that one very important member of the BOT has expressed that Frenk’s hiring was a mistake. I would be absolutely shocked if he isn’t out at the end of his contract.
We should have hired the Admiral.

Advertisement
We should have hired the Admiral.
I was gonna mention him in my post but opted not to for brevity’s sake. But yes, 100% agree. Quite a few important people, who were involved in the last presidential search, think he would’ve been a home run hire. The thinking with him was that with medical accounted for and established, UM could start to be a bigger player in law, international affairs, public policy, etch

I was gonna mention him in my post but opted not to for brevity’s sake. But yes, 100% agree. Quite a few important people, who were involved in the last presidential search, think he would’ve been a home run hire. The thinking with him was that with medical accounted for and established, UM could start to be a bigger player in law, international affairs, public policy, etch
I was leading the charge brother! I was actually quite shocked when he didn't get it. Shocked but at the same time it was par for the course at UM to ***** up such an obvious grand slam hire.

You aren’t wrong. He wasn’t very enthusiastic but whatever one could get out of him was valuable since he was involved in the high flying hostile take overs and wild M&A scene in the 80s. True story. He walked around farting loudly and without shame. I think he couldn’t control it
I was literally about to post the flatulence part. That was in 2008 or so.

Law school is a waste of time for the most part. It’s job security for professors who weren’t good enough to practice law. Adjuncts teach you more. You basically pay for law school then pay for a bar prep program and learn how to be a lawyer when you graduate. They should just make you apprentice to be an attorney. You’d have less and better lawyers. Too many people go to law school for wrong reasons.

Advertisement
Back