Latest on Highsmith

Per John McClain a long time football writer with the Houston Chronicle & good friend of Alonzo Highsmith, Alonzo will be joining UM as Director of Football Operations. He will have final say on all UM Football decisions. Great news!

I live in San Antonio and hear John McClain a lot on sports radio as he covers the Houston Texans for the Houston Chronicle and seems to be very plugged into the entire Texas sports scene in general. He’s not prone to hyperbole or rumor mongering but just reports what he’s hearing and based on the accuracy of his past reporting, I’d say he’s pretty plugged in. All and all, I’d say he’s a very good SAUCE.

Advertisement
I live in San Antonio and hear John McClain a lot on sports radio as he covers the Houston Texans for the Houston Chronicle and seems to be very plugged into the entire Texas sports scene in general. He’s not prone to hyperbole or rumor mongering but just reports what he’s hearing and based on the accuracy of his past reporting, I’d say he’s pretty plugged in. All and all, I’d say he’s a very good SAUCE.
Still wondering where or how he said this? Was it on radio? And when did he say this yesterday when it looked like he may be coming here?

I'm from down that way, but have lived different places, and wish I was young.

It's simple, you have no idea on finances, where the money comes from, and that's why you think local championship teams at the high school level mean we should be good.

Fact, these high school championships are nothing more than mercenary squads. They transfer around and try to win that ship. Loyalty, these young bucks don't know the first thing about that. Why in the world would they want to come here when it's already in them to sell out to the best team? That's why the elite kids go to perennial contenders.

We've had our share of state champs on board. Hasn't seemed to make a difference.

Quit moving the goalposts. I already said how and why coaches were hired. I've said repeatedly, it's all about the money and it is. I'm done on the subject and whoever wants to think otherwise, more power to them.

Happy New Year.

You have alot to learn about Miami football, and alot that you didnt comprehend, if you stuck on the money part, and feel comfortable thinking you figured it out, ok einstein, but stick around, you might just start learning football, you keep thinking its about UM, lol!

It was jimmy that was talked to. He was even offered a contract and sat on it for a sec. Dont think it was ever anything jimmy took serious as between the restraunts and tv hes committed. I think the timing of it was interesting cause the house in the keys was just destroyed at the time by a hurricane. If theres anything he loves more than tv the restraunts and fishing it's his house.

It would be suchhhhhhh a salary decrease too.

I honestly wish Vilma would somehow at least get on a path to get the job. The BoT spot is a start but actually get some real experience in running ****. Although it probably would be a salary cut for him too.

Advertisement

I honestly wish Vilma would somehow at least get on a path to get the job. The BoT spot is a start but actually get some real experience in running ****. Although it probably would be a salary cut for him too.

Vilma is a smart guy but what experience does he have other than a player and commentator?

You have alot to learn about Miami football, and alot that you didnt comprehend, if you stuck on the money part, and feel comfortable thinking you figured it out, ok einstein, but stick around, you might just start learning football, you keep thinking its about UM, lol!

There's hardly a thing any could teach me about Miami football. Lived it, breathed it, and that'll never change. Admittedly, I very well could've misunderstand you.

Vilma is a smart guy but what experience does he have other than a player and commentator?

None beyond him being a current BoT member. That's why I said I'd like to see him gain some experience in the actual details of running an athletic department. Not that I have any clue if he'd even be remotely interested in that type of career down the line.

It sucks things didn't progress better/longer with Rick as I'd like to have seen him as a possible AD too in the mold of Barry Alvarez, etc.

But this is my fault for veering off topic. We got much bigger issues to solve right now.

Advertisement
Advertisement
OULVYX57_400x400.jpg
Dude has broke national football stories in the past. Not a scrub. Not saying this is true either.

Advertisement
Yeah it really was. I used to sit around mainly in my freshman year with Janet (Ted's wife)and she'd always school me on old school people. I'm assuming that pic you mean of burgess was the one after the Notre dame game he had two picks in. Between my pops ted burgess mira and chuck foreman the stories I used to hear would never end. Really was classic when they'd all get together. Ted still lives in the gables and everyone would sit around in the backyard drinking and smoking cigars.

Ted is my fraternity brother (though he is much older than me).

The portraits I'm talking about were head shots (may have been after a game), and some of the guys from the 70s had some enormous photos.

I was always proud of the guys who were not as well known as UM alums, guys like Chuck Foreman, Jim Otto, Jim Burt, Ottis Anderson. ****, I loved Marion and Lippett and Lester Williams on the Patriots. Dennis Harrah for the Rams. Rubin Carter and Don Latimer for the Broncos.

Good times.

It would be. But other than stu and paul no one on the bot listens to j advisory situation with the bot either. That's the amusing part to this whole story about alonzo. This role was BASICALLY already created and killed by john. He gets so frustrated with stuff as it is. If somehow this happens that means u got two real canes along with a few people in power who actually care about sports here. Without it it's too much bureaucracy.

Advertisement
Back