Lateral Power 5 coaching move

I have been having this argument with a mate for a while now.
This isn’t NCAA, where all schools are ranked on the same continuum.
In that world Fickell leaves Cincy for Miami, but the reality is that where you are from makes a difference, what you want as a head coach makes a difference, your dream job makes a difference.
Clarke Lea could have looked for “better” than Vandy. Mario would never leave “a better situation” for Miami.
People want different things and there is a sliding scale here.

There are better jobs and worse jobs, but that depends on the person

Advertisement
Advertisement
The list is a lot longer than you’d think. Leach alone is at his third p5 school. Kiffin is at number 3 as well.

Advertisement
Meyer took a year off with the fake heart attack.
3PsAFhVjUSdzy (1).gif

It happens all the time, as you see from all the coaches listed in this thread. The thing is most aren't lateral moves. Going from Miss St to Florida is not a lateral move. MSU to LSU. Just because its p5 to p5 does not make it lateral. I am not the most well versed CFB expert on here, but the only time I can think of coaches doing true lateral moves, it was because they were going to their alma mater or a school they have a strong connection with.
Or money.

But joining the Big 12
Yea with 3 teams from the AAC but they’re not a p5 team currently and if they lose a game like last year they probably won’t get an at large ny6. cincy will help with big 12 but byu idk. They lost one game last year while playing such a easy schedule. I don’t see how big 12 stays power 5 without byu and cincy staying as top 15 teams with Texas and Oklahoma leaving. even with ut and okie gone it’s still a much harder schedule then either team plays

Advertisement
Yea with 3 teams from the AAC but they’re not a p5 team currently and if they lose a game like last year they probably won’t get an at large ny6. cincy will help with big 12 but byu idk. They lost one game last year while playing such a easy schedule. I don’t see how big 12 stays power 5 without byu and cincy staying as top 15 teams with Texas and Oklahoma leaving. even with ut and okie gone it’s still a much harder schedule then either team plays
True.

Oklahoma to USC. That’s the lateral move I was looking for to get Mario. Or anyone else at a big program.

Advertisement
Back