Lateral Power 5 coaching move

Advertisement
Can anyone give me examples of a Power 5 head coach that left for another power 5 HC position? Only ones I can think of are Willie Tagart from Oregon, Kiffin from Tennessee, Jimmy from Oklahoma State. Two were after 1 year and neither ended well and Jimmy left for a national champion. Could be more. Makes one think Fickell is more realistic and comparable to Frost leaving UCF.
Dennis Erikson left the Washington State cougars for Miami.
Charlie Strong left Louisville for Texas

Advertisement
Tuberville Ole Miss to Auburn and then to TTech

Saban Michigan State to LSU

James Franklin Vandy to Penn State

Bobby Bowden WVU to FSU (both were independents at the time)

Lucky Les OSU to LSU

Jimmy OSU to Miami

Dennis Wazzu to Miami

Lou Holtz Arkansas to Minnesota to ND

Kiffin Tennessee to USC

Mack Brown UNC to Texas

Steve Spurrier Duke to Florida

Bronco Mendenhall BYU to Virginia

Ken Hatfield Arkansas to Clemson

Advertisement
Advertisement
Watching the Auburn game - would y’all have wanted Bryan Harsin if he didn’t get the Auburn gig? Boise St guy who did well.

Way back in the day, Bama was dog **** from ‘53 - ‘58 and had won 19 games in 6 years. They called up the coach of Texas A&M to take over as HC. His reason for leaving: “Mama called.” He had gone 25-14-2 and had won an SWC title in ‘57 and a top 10 finish in ‘58. I would imagine by our fan base standards Bama would have done better because he lost some games he shouldn’t have. Bear Bryant won a title 3 years later. Weird story….

Also gotta think of Brett Bielema. Guy is at Wisky for 7 years, goes 68-24, 3 B1G titles, 3 straight Rose Bowls, 4 ten win seasons and 3
top 10 seasons. Then he goes to ******* Arkansas after the patrino fiasco and going 4-8. One of the ultimate wtf moves

It’s rare, but it happens. Hope it does again. It’s crazy how much of a crap shoot coaching hires are

Advertisement
Tuberville Ole Miss to Auburn and then to TTech

Saban Michigan State to LSU

James Franklin Vandy to Penn State

Bobby Bowden WVU to FSU (both were independents at the time)

Lucky Les OSU to LSU

Jimmy OSU to Miami

Dennis Wazzu to Miami

Lou Holtz Arkansas to Minnesota to ND

Kiffin Tennessee to USC

Mack Brown UNC to Texas

Steve Spurrier Duke to Florida

Bronco Mendenhall BYU to Virginia

Ken Hatfield Arkansas to Clemson
I believe when Jimmy came, we were an Independent at the time, and BYU is a G5. Other than that, spot on.

I think it was more him not getting along with some of the higher ups in the school for a variety of reasons, but I don't think he was pushed. I think he wanted out.
He had demands and Fsu politely told him to go f his own face. Both parties were over the other .

Advertisement
Back