Last Drive Play Calling

walker_0019

Recruit
Just watched the replay and something jumped out at me and this could have really gone horribly for us. CMR calls 2 huge run plays which Homer gets back to back first downs. The balls you have to have to call those run plays in with very little clock left! Gotta give him a ton of credit for the play calling especially when he is often criticized for his play calls. And then the finishing touch was not settling for a FG, we all know Golden crew would have taken a knee in that moment. Very proud of the team! They officially look competent. All we need to do is stop with the miscommunication between safeties and corners, and start taking better angles in the run game. a few of those big runs were completely shut down until a horrible angle was taken by a safety or LB.

Advertisement
Credit to Homer for his leg drive and tenacity - He could have been stopped short on the second run but kept pushing.

Richt didn't try and out-think himself on that drive.

Also, props to Berrios - His broken tackle was also HUGE.

Still on a post-game high.

The play calling was superb the last drive. I think, which you highlighted, the biggest part of the drive were those two runs. You cant draw them up any better than that. Although with minimal time, Richt set them up perfectly. You could kind of find glimpses of Richt calling good plays throughout the game. The flow of the game was just so horrid as a whole though. That last drive was very noticeable though

I wish they would always run that offense with such an aggressive sense of urgency

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's all about understanding the situation - Richt has been there enough to understand that we have two timeouts, so the entire playbook is open as far as running the ball and/or using the middle of the field in the pass game. If we are tackled in the middle of the field we are able to maintain control of the clock with our timeouts. This is the difference in good coaching versus the abysmal coaching we have had for so long.

While I will be the first to jump up and question the lack of creativity on offense, one thing that is obvious is we have a coach that has been there before, and won't let the game situation overwhelm what he is doing. He called a great mix on that drive, and our players executed. Homer getting to the sticks and the sideline on those runs was huge.

Advertisement
That drive Richt was in his bag with the play calling, guts, and time management. Perfect all around.

Our offense is much more effective when we go up-tempo. I would like to see Richt implement hurry up earlier in the game.

Advertisement
play calling is just 1/2 of the equation. You also need your players to step up when their number is called and they did just that. Game balls to Rosier, Berrios, Langham, and Homer on that last drive.

I don't know if Richt would've called things the same, but I don't think we win if Homer isn't the RB in there at the end of the game. His 2 runs were huge.

We took advantage of FSU playing their safeties 15 yards deep.

My concern before the season was the O, not the defense. D needs to step up big time.

Advertisement
hern.jpg

HUGE! their reaction PRICELESS...

The look on that throbbing ***** head Charles Kelly's face on that last drive and after the game winning TDs was sooo satisfying.

Advertisement
Did anyone else notice the trips bunch formation on 3rd and 10 when Malik hit Berrios for the first down?

I was shocked cause i don't remember us going into trips very often in the past.

The play calling was superb the last drive. I think, which you highlighted, the biggest part of the drive were those two runs. You cant draw them up any better than that. Although with minimal time, Richt set them up perfectly. You could kind of find glimpses of Richt calling good plays throughout the game. The flow of the game was just so horrid as a whole though. That last drive was very noticeable though

The playcalling in the last 2 drives was superb.

I rewatched the last drive and just thought if one of those runs got stopped this board would have flipped on Coach Richt

Advertisement
Back